THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Application Season started today for 2021

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Application Season started today for 2021
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Wyoming is open for all species.

I am applying in Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, Utah and Texas.

I might apply for antelope in Montana and Colorado.

Good luck everyone on 2021.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the heads up.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am ready to burn some points in the coming years.

My dad and myself have max points for deer and elk, 8 or 9 for antelope(Wyoming).

Going to apply for several other states as well.

Good luck!!

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 is max points in Wyoming for deer, elk and antelope.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was not clear on my response. Correction: I have 12 points for antelope and max for deer and elk. I cannot believe 15 points is max. How the time flies.....

I just verified:

https://gfdrawresults.wyo.gov/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason you are doing really swell. I can't imagine there would be much you couldn't draw.

I have 7 for antelope, or maybe 8. 5 for deer and nothing for elk.

I am going to shoot for the moon on elk and deer, and put in for an antelope tag I should be able to draw that will take 8 or 9 points, should be enough tags that I get one.

I have 5-6 points in Arizona and Utah for every species.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW:

I am fortunate. There are some rut hunts (deer) and a few elk hunts that are still difficult to draw. However,
yes, I can draw most units.

Here is my dilemma: Where do I apply? I realize that it should be about the "hunt". Admittedly, the experience is the best part but I do want to hunt in the best trophy area possible. There are a lot of mixed reviews that I have read. And I have lived near Wyoming (until recently) and have spoken with several people about different trophy areas. All of my research has mixed results. Many say the 100 unit near Rock Springs is good. However, I have also heard there are people and ATV's everywhere as it is a hunt in the sagebrush. The deer units are down a bit in my opinion.

My son graduates from college next fall and I would like him with me so I may wait another year on the deer and elk. As far as the antelope, I am far less picky and to me, an average buck is fine and a unit close to home will do. I may apply for antelope this year.

When you get ready to hunt apply for Utah, let me know if you have any questions about our units. I am far from an expert but I have hunted and lived in several. Our elk hunting is still very good and there are a few decent deer units. If you are willing to hunt a muzzleloader hunt, I would consider applying for one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am probably only going to apply for antelope in Utah.

In a rifle unit with high success. Just to put out feelers as they say.

I'd rather draw a tag and have a good hunt where I bring home meat/horns than draw a tag that is just a hunt.

That is my application strategy for 2021.

2020 strategy left a lot to be desired.

I also applied for far less tags in 2020 than I did in 2019.

This year I will probably apply for 150 different hunt numbers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
150? Wow, you have me beat.

The draw game is getting tougher. I am starting to be resigned to the fact that I will
have to buy a hunt on occasion.

In 2020, I did not hunt at all- a first for me...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
150 is an easy number to get to.

A guy could apply for everything in Texas and it would be pretty close to that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason- You sit a a solid position, but also a stressful one.
For deer you have the option to share your points with your son and both go on a G hunt (especially if he has points) or you have a unit like 128 where you drive around with everyone and hope. I had a 101 tag it was fun because so few people, but we only saw 3 mature bucks and 20ish deer total in 9 days. Friends with 102 tags have struggled the past few years.

Limited quota deer units in Wyoming are not meant to grow trophy deer. Limited quota deer units in Wyoming are to protect deer herds from being overharvested in general hunt situations. Having max points in Wy isn't like Utah where you'd draw the Henry Mtns or Pauns.

Look at 124 for elk. And if you want to share your pronghorn points- I know a guy. haha
Best of luck. I actually dread the application process anymore....

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would concur. Wyoming doesn't manage for trophy units. Units that are "known trophy unit" are just better than average units for success.

I think antelope end up working like that, but most of it has to do with the antelope density and not so much with their intent to manage it for 92 inch bucks.

Finding a 180 mule deer on public land in the best unit in Wyoming would still be a good find. The best units will have higher success rates, but that will not equate to B&C scores.

I think elk is more of a shit show in Wyoming than it is anywhere else. The best units are chockablock private land and almost impossible to get into because of it. Or you end up fighting grizzlys and wolves in the Throrofare.

12-15 points for a top end bull tag in Wyoming, but you should be shooting the first mature 6 point you see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's an exciting time of year!
We're full of hopes and dreams but the family can count on a couple+ super-good tags this year. Sheep, a couple good elk tags and a women's group for trophy pronghorn...at least those are my hopes!
My grandson and I have already drawn turkey tags so we've started off on the right foot.

BWW, let us know where if you draw Utah pronghorn and maybe we can point somewhere for you.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is pretty doubtful, but worth a shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
For deer you have the option to share your points with your son and both go on a G hunt (especially if he has points) or you have a unit like 128 where you drive around with everyone and hope. I had a 101 tag it was fun because so few people, but we only saw 3 mature bucks and 20ish deer total in 9 days. Friends with 102 tags have struggled the past few years.

Limited quota deer units in Wyoming are not meant to grow trophy deer. Limited quota deer units in Wyoming are to protect deer herds from being overharvested in general hunt situations. Having max points in Wy isn't like Utah where you'd draw the Henry Mtns or Pauns.

Look at 124 for elk. And if you want to share your pronghorn points- I know a guy. haha

MC: I agree with what you say. It is stressful and hopefully things turn out well. As far as splitting points with my kids go, maybe antelope but no chance for unit G. Besides, I checked their points and the have 7 points for each species- deer, elk, antelope.

There certainly are worse “dilemmas” to have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Originally posted by MC:

MC: I agree with what you say. It is stressful and hopefully things turn out well. As far as splitting points with my kids go, maybe antelope but no chance for unit G. Besides, I checked their points and the have 7 points for each species- deer, elk, antelope.

There certainly are worse “dilemmas” to have.

Max points WY elk...124 bro!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron:

I hope you’re right, don’t lead me astray ha ha J/K.

I’ve zeroed in on three units for my dad. He’s soon to be 72, a pretty good health.
However, he will still be limited to a degree on hiking a lot.

Here are the units I’m looking at for him:

31-1
32-1
100-1
113-1

Really curious about 113-1.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aaron:

I’ve zeroed in on three units for my dad. He’s soon to be 72, a pretty good health.

31-1
32-1
100-1
113-1

100-1 is a heck of a hunt. Looking at how you described your father I think it would be perfect.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aaron:

31-1
32-1
100-1
113-1

124 would be my 1st choice with max points, if it were me!

How many points does your dad have?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron:

Max points as well. I do not want both of us drawing the same year. Therefore, he’ll go first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Aaron:

31-1
32-1
100-1
113-1

100-1 is a heck of a hunt. Looking at how you described your father I think it would be perfect.

Thanks Jason: It does look like a great option. It seems weird hunting elk in sagebrush but I sure it would be fun.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Aaron:

31-1
32-1
100-1
113-1

124 would be my 1st choice with max points, if it were me!

How many points does your dad have?

Aaron,
I was just going on the fact that area 100 has a ton of roads and unlimited views for glassing. It's the perfect set up for a 72yo guy who is limited in how far he can hike. Taking a 330+ bull here should be a given.

But 124 is supposed to be fairly easy too.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason:

If you have any experience hunting 100 and if you’d be willing to share some knowledge, please let me know.

If anyone else has hunted this and would be willing to share experiences with it, please let me know.

I think this is where he’ll apply and based on last years draw odds, he should at least have a 50% chance to draw.

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason:

If you have any experience hunting 100 and if you’d billing willing to share some knowledge, please let me know.

If anyone else has hunted this and would be willing to share experiences with it, please let me know.

I think this is where he’ll apply and based on last years draw odds, he should at least have a 50% chance to draw.

Thanks

Jason, a friend of mine hunted unit 100 this past fall. PM me your details and I’ll connect you guys together.

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We just put in our party application for the biannual whiskey and cigar antelope hunt in area 47

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote