THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Sons first Griz taken while sheephunting in the Brooks Range 08/15/08

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sons first Griz taken while sheephunting in the Brooks Range 08/15/08
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice picture!
More details like how far, what rifle, how old is your boy?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not it was a Kimber montana, chambered in .260 remington (sheep rifle) shot at 101 yards, i'm sold on shot placement now!!! the stood on his two feet and looked right at us, I ranged it for him and he put the cross hairs right on his chest!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Oh come on, you know after reading the experts on this forum that you can't kill grizz with anything less than a stopping rifle rotflmo
Tell your boy great shooting and congratulations!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats to BOTH of you! thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats to both time to be proud!!!! beer

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done! I'm sure you are very proud of your son.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures and congrats to your son, looks like a nice bear.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great gift for your son!!
That's awesome!!!

Don

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Atta Boy!!! thumb

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Awesome for you and your boy!

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool Great Bear, and great shooting! Congratulations to both of you!
Good hunting,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! That's a handsome young man you've got there! thumb You're not just a wee bit proud of that fellow are you? Ha ha...I know you are and well you should be. thumb

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I am very proud of your son, he is sure to be a great hunter as he grows.

If your in town next week, lets get together for lunch.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Very happy for the both of you!

What bullet and weight?

Handloads? Factory ammo?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is outstanding!! You must be very proud!! thumb

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Doc, to answer your question, they were factory ammo, Corbons, loaded with 120 grain Barnes TSX's. We mainly came for sheep but we always take our griz tags, never know when something nice might show up...to tell you the truth the kid rather shoot a griz than sheep, I've yet to figure that one out...must be a kid thing.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see you had a favorable outcome with the TSX bullet. Many who have used them in the smaller calibers worry that the hollow point is so small that it would not open up, rather, it would close up when pushing through the soft tissues.

Did the bear run far? Drop right there?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I shot my first squirrel when I was about his age.

Congratulations on the bear and your Dall, but mostly congratulations for raising a fine young man who enjoys sharing the outdoors with his dad. Life is good for both of you.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
The bear did not run dropped right there..i was surprized, but it was a well placed shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hunt,
Im a firm believer in shot placement also,
What happens when a BB dont present its chest like a gogo stage girl, but instead 600+lbs comes charging down at you all at rapid pace?
Was there someone else waiting on the sideline with a bigger canon ready to take better control of a situation?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AKSH

COOL! What a wonderful experience. That is a beautiful bear. I can imagine your son's first day back at school. He will have to be just a litte proud of himself.

Good job!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Trax, his back-up was me, with my .270 WSM, I know I should've took the .44 S&W, but too much weight, we did have a can of bear spray handy. I was glad the bear presented a vital shot for us, standing on two feet facing us, but those kind of shots aren't always guarranteed. during the stalk to bear came up on us quick, those bears move and cover ground fairly quick. And he did not know we were there, until I whisltled and made a noise, thats when he stood up on twos to look right at me @ 101yds.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice bear, you guys really shoot some nice animals!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surely you didn't raise this kid to believe he can kill big game with a .260 or 6.5x55. Never attempt to make up for power with marksmanship! It just isn't the American way.---Just kidding.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote