THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    excess baggage charges with rifle cases

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

excess baggage charges with rifle cases
 Login/Join

posted
I was going to book a flight with American Airlines with a rifle case that measures 52"x 11" x 4.5" (about 68") which is over the 62" maximum allowance. I was told that there would be a $100 excess size charge each way for this case. They told me that rifle cases are not allowed an exemption for being oversized like fishing poles and some other sporting goods are. Anyone had this problem lately?

Posts: 27 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
I fly on American Airlines quite often with rifles using a Tuff-Pak and was never charged extra. I think the person who told you might have thought you were shipping an item 68" long. Good Luck!

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I made it very clear what the individual dimensions were so there was no confusion. I looked up on their web site the section that deals with traveling with firearms it states:

"Excess baggage charges may apply to each gun case if it is in excess of the free baggage allowance and/or oversize/overweight"

It may well be that the ticket counter agents don't charge extra, but the reservation agent I talked to told me (after checking with her supervisor) that there would be a $100 charge each direction.

Posts: 27 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a non take-down rifle case that is within the 62" limitation (length + width + depth). There is also no such thing as a golf bag or ski case the is within the dimensions, but airlines never charge an excess baggage charge for those items (and a set of golf clubs is much heavier than two rifles.) My advise is not to talk to the reservations agent, who will simply quote you the regs; just check in and the gate agent usually will not bother to assess an excess baggage charge for more than the magic 62" dimension.

Now for another subject: Do international flights really restrict checked baqgage to a total of 20 kilos (44 lbs.)? If so, how does anyone ever go to Africa without incurring monsterous baggage charges?

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JC454,

It might be cheaper and far less hassle to mail or UPS your guns to whoever you are hunting with. The outfitter I work with most here in Wyoming is having more and more clients do just that and it works out well. I've done it myself and highly recommend it. Just send your guns way ahead of your hunt so if there is a problem you have time to handle it. Traveling without guns makes your trip much more enjoyable.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark is right, but it works only within the US.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote