Find
Notify
Tools

JP Sauer Drillings ? s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello ,
Im interested in Sauer Drillings, always wanted one in 30-06,12/12 ,Does Sauer still make the 3000 Model ? i have done alot of searching for info on the 3000 Model, but its hard to find any decent info on them ,i have some repro Booklets from Cornell Publications and a booklet on the Model 30 Luftwaffe gun .
what calibres are or were they made in ? and which were steel or Dural actions ? and which Models had the Buffalo Horn trigger guards ? How much would a 3000 be worth in unfired condition ?or any other interesting info on them ?
Thankyou

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The later Sauer 3000s had a slender steel receiver that isn't as beefy as the earlier 3000 guns, like my circa 1955 3000 LUX 16/16/6.5X57R. They're good drillings for the modern hunter. I loved my 3000 30-06/12ga...so I sold it. cuckoo

For our market they made them in 30-06 and 243, all 12ga guns.

I have another spoken for that's presently in Germany. It's scoped, but I don't know with what as yet. One thing I had done to my later 3000 was to have that slab of a beavertail forend trimmed to a substantial splinter. It made a different gun out of it, much nicer in the hand.

I have no idea how much one would cost in OZ. Confused

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge no Dural drillings were produced for the 30 06. I believe the pressure for this cartridge is too high for the alloy actions.

I shoot upland and big game with my drillings and the Dural drilling in 16/70 over 7x65R with 65cm barrels is my ideal. Without the scope, this gun should be just about 7 lbs and handle well as a shotgun. The 7x65R will kill anything on hooves in North America just as effectively as the 06.

Put a 1.5-6x42 Zeiss on it...and it doesn't get any better IMHO.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found one here in 7x57R /12/12 ,the elderly owner said he couldnt shoot anymore ,and its unfired apart from Factory test targets with 8x56 Zeiss Diatal ,he told me where he bought it, and i remembered an old Australian Gun Yearbook with the Advertisement for it in 1986 ,[the gun was built in 1984 ]where it was $5911.00 reduced to $4999.00 ,i remembered reading that years ago and thinking how much money that was and how i couldnt afford it .So i thought its now or never, and stuck my neck out and mortgaged the mortgage on top of the mortgage and should have it in a weeks time
yipppeeee!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
To my knowledge no Dural drillings were produced for the 30 06. I believe the pressure for this cartridge is too high for the alloy actions.

Here's a Krieghoff Dural 16-16 x 30-06 drilling I bought new in about 1983,

It's a fantastic shooter!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I sold mine (NIB with all paapers) on Gunbroker about 4 months ago for 4100. It was purchased in 1979 in Germany FOR 2200. It was the 3000 model in 12/12x30-06. It was a safe queen. Finally got too old to do anything with it. Looks like they are becoming a little popular in Texas. I believe I got a good price since IMO these a niche guns.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, they're niche' guns. Not the best for any one thing but good for about anything. I installed an einstcklauf in 22LR in the right barrel of my Thieme & Schlegelmilch 16 X 16 over 9.3 X 75R Nimrod. I find myself reaching for it more often than about anything else I have. It just works....all the time.

I never did understand the 12 bore in a drilling. Just makes them too bulky to my eye and hand. Doesn't mean a thing, just my opinion and taste.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you lived in Rabbit Hash Montana of Snake Navel Idaho you'd see the rationale of the 12ga drilling. Wink ...also one in 30-06. hilbily

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sauer Dural drilling in 16GA and 7X57. It weighs right at 6 pounds. The rifle barrel will whack you a little, but the shotgun is no bother.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As with a couple other posts - I have a 16g over 7x57r.

Sweet - and handles like a shotgun. The larger frame that comes with the 12s takes away IMHO.

Did I mention how good it is, to travel with something the size of a flute case instead of a Peli-trunk?

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another drilling...but in 20 gauge over 22 Savage Hi Power. Alloy action and weighs 6 lb 10oz ....good combo for birds and small vermin in the sloughs. The S&B 1.1-4x20 scope is all I need out to 200 yds.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the one I'm presently enjoying, while the others rest up a bit. It's a 1955 Sauer 3000 LUX 16ga 2 3/4" and 6.5X57R with a 22 LR insert and 6X Hensoldt in Suhler mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently sold this nice 1960's Sauer 3000 12/12/30-06 with 6X Nickel Supra in Suhler mounts...not one of my brighter moments. Confused

IT'S THE ONE AT THE BOTTOM. I had a good stock maker trim the beavertail forend to a respectable splinter and checker to match.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got my Drilling ! so its good to cross that one off the Bucket list, has the steel action which i thought it was[and wanted], as the metal looked dull ,rather than shiny ! unfired from factory since 1984 ,test targets for 11.2 Gram projectile, i think thats 175 gr ?, with scope measured @100 metres ,1 and 1/2 inches and with iron sights the same ! strangely enough comes with Drilling M.30 Luftwaffe Repro booklet .Has steel trigger guard , i dont know if its machine engraved or by hand .Was hoping to use it this weekend[nut work stopped that ] as neighbour near my parents has kangeroos eating his wheat ,made up for it hitting a wallaby in my wifes car in Brisbane hmmm whats are the odds of that ? a new dint in the car and one dead wallaby

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on getting your Drilling.

The wife and I both have Sauer 3000 Drillings in 12x12x30/06 with scopes in claw mounts.
It is my wifes favorite hunting gun, and one of my favorites [I have many favorites Big Grin].

They are both very accurate, and handle like a fine shotgun IMHO.

We have killed deer, wild pigs, turkeys, dove quail, ducks, rabbits squirrel, mountain grouse, several different birds in Africa, and the wife has killed a nice kudu and a monster warthog with her Drilling.

The Colt Drilling and the Weatherby Drillings were made by Sauer, and are the same as the 3000, with some cosemetic differences.

They were made in 243 and 30/06.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote