New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Stevens .22/.410 Modification
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got an old Stevens over/under .22/.410 with a plastic stock which my uncle bought new. It was apparently put away with salty hands and stored for a long time in a humid place. It has rusty fingerprints and corrosion in bith barrels, but the action opens and closes smoothly and it has a good trigger pull. I am thinking of having the .22 barrel relined, possibly for shorts only and having a .32-20 liner put in the shotgun barrel. A long tim ago I shot it with .410 slugs and their point of impact was virtually the same as the .22 barrel. I am also thinking of new color case-hardening for the action, a reblue, a ppep sight and a new stocks from some nice wood I have. It would be sort of a small game/varmint double rifle. I realize it would not be a cheap project, but would this be an impossible project?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting, and probably not as expensive as some might think. There's a fellow in Cashtown, PA, who does barrel lining pretty reasonably priced. Its been a good while since i spoke with him and can't remember his name. He would probably come up in a google search.
The 22 lr should be pretty straight forward, not sure how the 32 20 would be, I'm not well versed in the pressures and all that really important stuff. I used to use an old falling block 32 rimfire that i modified the linkage to shoot 32 colt shorts for squirrels. It was a short range afair, but fun. The 32 20 would be a pretty nifty rig.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I picked up a Stevens 22/410 that has the shotgun barrel relined to 30-40 Krag.
I was told that it was a Montana trappers set up. It was restocked, new sights and a cartridge trap were added. It is a neat little piece.

Posts: 12 | Location: ohio | Registered: 17 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...now that you mention it, I'm starting to wonder about a 20-gauge insert chambered for 25-20.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IOWADON:
I've got an old Stevens over/under .22/.410 with a plastic stock which my uncle bought new. It was apparently put away with salty hands and stored for a long time in a humid place. It has rusty fingerprints and corrosion in bith barrels, but the action opens and closes smoothly and it has a good trigger pull. I am thinking of having the .22 barrel relined, possibly for shorts only and having a .32-20 liner put in the shotgun barrel. A long tim ago I shot it with .410 slugs and their point of impact was virtually the same as the .22 barrel. I am also thinking of new color case-hardening for the action, a reblue, a ppep sight and a new stocks from some nice wood I have. It would be sort of a small game/varmint double rifle. I realize it would not be a cheap project, but would this be an impossible project?

Having the shotgun barrel shoot to the same point of aim as the rifle is uncommon, in my limited experience. The piece is a treasure.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote