New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bockbuschflinten?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a BBF 16/70mm-7x57r, claws, Zeiss scope and fine action. Superb triggers, disc-set strikers and nice wood, in very nice conditions, shiny bores and spare fitted rings for a 1" scope.

I have wanted one for years, hard to find here in Canada, other than old wrecks in obsolete chamberings or too pricey to consider.

The maker is one I have never heard of, *Waffen Rabitsch-Nurnberg....

Has anyone any solid info, on this maker.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
https://www.waffen-rabitsch.de/langwaffen-1

He has a gunshop. The gun was probably made for him by a maker. And he had his name put on it.

Maybe?

His address is:

Färberstrasse 22
90402 Nürnberg

https://www.google.de/maps/@49...w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 His adress in google maps.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Before the internet that was common. Remember the Sears Roebuck FN Mausers, or the Army and Navy guns made by everyone in Britain?

Even Rigby Mausers were only stocked by Rigby.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waffen Rabitsch has a very solid reputation. Depending on the age of your rifle it was probably made by the father of the current owner. It was very common to buy the parts in Ferlach Austria and finish them in the own shop. I once bought a nice Mauser 66S in 8x68S from him, wonderful rifle but I was not used to the recoil at that time and sold it unfortunately.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou all for the comments/advice thus far. I had "googled" Rabitsch and intend to e-mail them with the various markings to determine time of sale, manufacturer and who actually made this little gem.

I love combo guns, so practical in BC where birds and various species of big game are all legal to take in the same seasons. I would have dozens of them if I had the $$$$$---wouldn't we all.

So, does anyone have any good loads with 150-160ish bullets, Nossies, as I won't do monometals in such a thin walled barrel. I have a lot of different powders and would prefer tlo NOT buy more, mine are largely American-labeled so that would help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the heck is a nossies???

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SNAP,

A few of my BBF 7x57R loads.

145 Speer, 46.0 H4350, CCI200, for 2520 fps
154 Hornady (spire or RN), 44.5 4350, CCI200, 2300 fps.
150 Partitions, 46.0 IMR 4350, CCI200, for 2625 fps.
All with S & B brass.

All give me just at 1" at 100m.

Good luck and have fun with the BBF and load development.

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now all you need is one of these to turn your Backbüchsflinte into a Doppelbüchse or Bergstutzen: http://www.einstecklauf.de/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to add to the fun: 120gr spirepoint (your choice) with 7.5gr of Trailboss, for s neat small game/plinking round that doesn't kick and hits to point of aim out to 45-50 yards. Best choice would be a non-expanding bullet; these tear quite a bit of meat off a rabbit if they're too soft. Might do just as well with a hard-cast lead bullet, but use a bit less powder.
Windy

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only "rabbits" where I intend to use this gun are Snowshoe Hares, not especially fine meat, so, can't be bothered to kill them.

The grouse, however, shall be taken with the 16 bore tube, probably Remmy highbrass 6s or even 4s for Blue Grouse, Ruffed and Franklin's, the best are early Blues for food.

I tend to hunt out of a small base camp, hidden at the end of old roads in the mountains and my truck is camoed nearby. So, most of my hunting this year at 71, will be 3-4 hour hikes, then 3 hour rests, then mid-afternoon until quite dark.

In the 43 years since my first of four combo guns, have three nice ones now, I have found that I get more game this way than any other and I enjoy hunting solo in this manner as I have no other person to worry about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two over/under combination guns, a 12ga/7x57R (Antonio Zoli) and a 12ga/222 (Valmet made by Angelo Zoli) I have found that the adapters made by gunadapters.com in Miles City Montana work passably well in the 12/7x57, I think this is because the barrels are joined together whereas the Valmet style barrels have quite a bit of space between them comparably.

The 22LR adapter, 8 inch rifled works well for grouse and the 22 Mag, also 8 inch rifled, is reasonable for turkey.

The point of impact corresponds with the heavy wire at the bottom so sighting is simple at the shorter ranges these are useful at. They also make a 410 shotgun adapter for the 12ga which is nice too in the heavy thickets where shots are measured in feet.

They did not work well in the 12/222 but I found a great load for the 222. a 40gr bullet with about 10 grains of WW231 gives moa accuracy to 100yds at approx. 2000fps (22 Mag) with a point of hold at the top of the lower heavy cross-hair. Pure death on turkeys beyond shotgun range and great for the occasional fox. I did try it out on gophers, excellent as expected but I'd rather whack them with my CZ 22LR.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ferlach built combination gun that was retailed by Heinrich Munch in Aachen.Mine was built by Hambrush. You can tell a lot by the proof marks and numbering. Halowell has a lot of info on their website - for example Ferlach makers numbers - http://www.hallowellco.com/Fer...ers_code_numbers.htm

Sounds like you have a lot of gun there. I use a 16/ 7x65r combination a lot. A bit more thump with bigger bullets, but mostly I use the 139gn Interlock trundling along at 2550 fps powered by 51.5gn of IMR 4831. Shot a Roe Buck a month ago at 200 odd yards with it. Seated off sticks - no possibility of closing the distance and it went straight down.

Have recently added an Einstecklauf in 7x65R from Zimmerman-Waffen - its now a pretty useful double rifle and will be used as such on driven bore in Germany later this year.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote