THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Photo of Insert installed in shotgun barrel breech
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photo of Insert installed in shotgun barrel breech
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I imported a Zimmerman insert in 8X57JRS for my 16GA shotgun. It is installed except for fixing it to the shotgun's extractor. The Zimmerman instructions are vague on how it attaches to the parent extractor. Would someone have a photo to show how it is installed?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw you mailed me about this..sorry for the delay. I sold the Drilling with Zimmermann insert. However, the "Auszieher" (extractor) is notched flush to the existing extractor on the shotgun barrel and the retaining screw is counter sunk to secure the insert extractor in place. If I remember correctly, the directions give the location, depth and diameter for the machine work on the existing extractor. You can write Zimmermann and I am sure they would help you.
http://www.zimmermann-ohg-der-waffenspezialist.de

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input but my clever gunsmith has come up with a way to dovetail the insert extractor into the parent gun extractor. The insert extractor can be tapped out of its dovetail if need be. We didn't use Zimmerman's insert because they screw it to the parent extractor. We fired it and things went well. To zero the insert I simply remove the extractor retaining screw and remove the parent extractor along with the insert extractor. Then a tap with a nylon hammer to remove the insert, make the adjustment, reinstall everything and shoot again. The insert is a .323 bore and the cape gun's barrel is a .322, so I shoot Hornady 8X57IRS ammo with success!

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would very much like to hear on the accuracy of your gun with the insert. Great idea for an affordable DR in 8x57.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As soon as I get it zeroed I'll report back. Too busy right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot I posted this. The insert was installed, perfect job by a local gunsmith. I started zeroing it and noticed that cases were expanding at a greater amount for each shot. I realized that the insert was deforming, or rivelling, after each shot. Zimmerman replaced the unit with one in 22 Savage HP that I'll install in another combo gun. I should have the new insert next week. The saga continues.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have just had installed a Zimmerman insert barrel in 7x65R. Will keep an eye on case stretching. First zeroing seems to have gone well.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym,

Be especially careful with the 7X65R caliber. I just had a double rifle barrel put on a really strong 20GA Verney-Carron shotgun action. They strongly recommended against 7X65R as it was very high pressure. That and the 30R Blaser are the two worst calibers for high pressure. I chose a .303 British instead.