Find
Notify
Tools

Drilling Firing Spring Pressure
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted
Something I've always been curious about on standard drillings when one is putting them away. I know once it is open, selector on S for Schrot and K for Rifle (Kugel), pull on both triggers when closing releases the firing spring pressure on two of the barrels, then slightly reopen, select the other barrel, and hold the trigger pulled while closing is supposed to release the last spring. You can always tell by the raised pins anyway if all are released or not.

OK, this has never worked all that great for me. Usually what happens is I get two springs released, slightly reopen, select other barrel, hold the trigger and it clicks down pretty hard as if I just had it closed and pulled the trigger. I see two options then, one is to just use snap caps and close it and fire them all off. The other is not to use snap caps and just fire them all off. Is there any harm done if you just close the drilling and fire the barrels off, thereby releasing the tension on the springs?

How about just storing it without releasing the tension, i.e, cocked? This would not be my preferred method, just because the springs would be under tension for lengthy periods of time, but on the other hand, I really don't think it would harm anything, if so, I would think it would be many years to take any set off the springs to affect them operating.

I know there are members here with much more experience than I on drillings and releasing the tension, perhaps they would be willing to share their views or thoughts, and the process they use in releasing firing spring tension.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I release all springs before sending them back into the safe.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote