THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Immanuel Meffert Cape Gun in 16ga - 9.3x72R - Hubertus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Immanuel Meffert Cape Gun in 16ga - 9.3x72R - Hubertus
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Immanuel Meffert Cape Gun in 16ga - 9.3x72R - Hubertus

As I mentioned in my previous post about the Burgsmuller Cape gun that I purchased, I also purchased this Meffert in 16ga - 9.3x72R at the same auction. This is the 4th Cape gun in my collection. As you can see, I have a soft-spot for these vintage all-purpose guns.

Specs for this one: full length matted rib with flip up rear sigh. Greener crossbolt boxlock action with cocking indicators on top of frame. Frame is lightly engraved in scroll. Made with double triggers, extractors, non-auto safety. Horn capped pistol grip. Buttstock is checkered in point pattern and terminates with lined horn buttplate. Sling swivels. Splinter forend with Deeley release is checkered in point pattern. 27-5/8" Barrels. 14-3/16" LOP Weighs 6 pounds 11 ounces.

As always, your comments are welcome.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2099 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Like you, I also collect cape guns! In my opinion the cape gun is one of the best walkabout hunting tool for a mixed bag hunting tool. These guns are also fine stand over bait for what ever comes to dinner. Add to that, with the proper bullets, and shot, what ever comes to bait you are ready. Also for a simple walk about for mixed game from dove to black bear you are carrying a very handy choice with a simple change of trigger.
With proper chamberings, this type of firearm is a fine set-up for Africa as well. A 12 gouge in the shot barrel with shot or slug and a proper chambering in the rifle barrel one is well fitted for Africa as well, along with a fine long range scoped rifle as well, and is a dandy gun for follow-up for cats that gets out of sight from a bait when shot.

............................. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call it a cape gun but the Germans call that a Büchsflinte. The old "Försterpatrone" (woodsman"s caliber), the 9,3x72R, slowly took a back seat to the more powerful large medium bores introduced in the early 1900s, like the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x74R. I have read many discussions on German sites where young hunters maintain that the 9.3x72R is obsolete and impractical. Nothing could be further from the truth. 196 grains at 2200 ft/sec is serious medicine for C2 game in the woods or brushy clearings, for which this caliber was intended. The low pressure also allows the building of a lighter gun in spite of the longer barrels. Nice old piece from an under appreciated manufacturer...enjoy.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Call it a cape gun but the Germans call that a Büchsflinte. The old "Försterpatrone" (woodsman"s caliber), the 9,3x72R, slowly took a back seat to the more powerful large medium bores introduced in the early 1900s, like the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x74R. I have read many discussions on German sites where young hunters maintain that the 9.3x72R is obsolete and impractical. Nothing could be further from the truth. 196 grains at 2200 ft/sec is serious medicine for C2 game in the woods or brushy clearings, for which this caliber was intended. The low pressure also allows the building of a lighter gun in spite of the longer barrels. Nice old piece from an under appreciated manufacturer...enjoy.

You are correct, nobody is disputing that fact! Just like the lever action rifles of the old west, and single action pistols are called COWBOY GUNS by many older folks of the USA today, nether one is true but instead are simply a lever action rifle, and a single action pistol.
That being said the name given to the side by side combination rifle/shotgun is commonly called a CAPE/GUN BECOUSE it was most used in the Cape of Good hope, differing it from an over/under combination shotgun/rifle.

............................. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Buckstix, Another great find! Congratulations. Here is the only Cape Gun that I have seen recently here in Germany. Was listed on a trading site - Gustav TICHNY, Combination rifle .222Rem and shotgun 16/65. Whereby the rifle chamber was an insert .222Rem. Went for EUR 1.000,- exactly.

I was tempted but don't need another .222Rem and did not think about removing the insert and trying to get back to some original caliber.

My quest continues!

Not hijacking your thread at all just showing you how seldom they are here and when they do crop up ....

Cheers

Ps sorry about pic quality but they are photos of a computer screen pic.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2251 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meffert was a really fine maker of combination gums. I’ve played around with several. Congrats on a good find, and I think you’ll like the caliber.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote