Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201201090548.html

Nairobi Star (Nairobi)

Kenya: Nairobi Park Diary - the Hunted Hunters

Gareth Jones

7 January 2012

Last week, a headline flashed on my inbox: Lions killed in Kitengela area. I learned that three lions had been killed in two separate incidents near the hippo pools by angry Maasai warriors after the lions killed their domestic animals. The warriors also vowed that they would kill more lions if they came near their animals again.

This is very sad as the hunters are now being hunted. Tourists come from all over the world to see this unique place. The most common question from tourists is: "Have you seen lions?" or "Where are the lions?"

Most of the visitors are people that have travelled thousands a kilometres to come and see African wildlife that is why it is so tragic to see Kenya losing its wildlife at such an alarming rate, mainly due to poaching and human-wildlife conflict. If Kenya had no lions, tourists would simply go elsewhere.

The Maasai community in this area is very important in ensuring that the wildlife is protected when they move outside the park. In 2003, there was a very sad incident where many lions were killed.

The Maasai put great value and status on their cattle so it is very distressing to them if lions kill their livestock. Over the years, there have been various partially successful efforts to pay compensation for lost stock. Some people even suggest that insuring livestock could be a solution.

How will history judge this generation for the decisions we all make ? What will be said when the Nairobi National Park is 100 years old in 2048 ? Will we merely lament a sad past ? Or will we truly celebrate the success that resulted because we all found a way to work together? The choice is ours. I pray that we find a way!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post