THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    My military conversions! What's yours?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My military conversions! What's yours?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
1. Carcano carbine. 6.5x52

2.Mod. 98 to 22 Varminter

3.Enfield 1917 to 6mm x.270IMP

4. 6.5 Arasaka to 6.5x.284

5. 6.5 Carcano to 6.5X55

6. 2 ea.Mod 98s to 8mm/06s

7. Mod. 98 to 25-06 IMP

8.3 Mod.98s to 7mmX41,7.62X41 .358X41

9.Mod 98 to .308

10. Mod 98 to 22-250

11. Mod 96 6.5 X 55

12. 03/A3, 06

13.MAS. 7.5X54

14. 2 ea. mod 98s to 7mmx57 scouts

15. 2 ea. mod 98s to 8mmx57 scouts

16. Mod.98 to .358 X.375 UM imp. SINGLE SHOT

17. Mod 98 to 8mm X .404 X 2.500" IMP.

18. Mod. 98 to 6.5 R Bar.

For 20 some years now my attention mostly has shifted from the military conversions to re barreling Savage and Stevens bolt action rifles and an occasional Ruger single shot.
I intentionally omitted details so as not to bore you.
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.......impressive list, Roger tu2

Some of mine...
Lee Enfield No.1 Mk111 to 7x57R
Siamese Mauser to 7.62x54R with barrel from above rifle, and soon to be 405 Grenadier ( if my barrel ever arrives )
Martini Cadets to 30 Herrett, 7mm Herrett, 32 Herrett, 7-30 Waters, 22 Mach IV, and all sorts of other odd things
P14 Enfield ( Remington ) to 9.3x74R
M96 to 6.5x55 Imp.
M96 to 9.3x55 Imp......with a Ljungman mag set up like a trench mag, interchangeable with the original floorplate....still a work in progress Wink
LSA No.1 to 375x2 1/2 FL NE
A pair of 98's in 6.5-06 RCBS and 8-06 RCBS.....covers pretty much anything up to DG
Portugese Vergueiro to 7.65x53
......and currently doing a Carcano from 6.5x52 to 6.5x54 with an old 6.5 swede barrel

Roger

.....Bartsche, is your 6.5x55 carcano a single shot or magazine fed ??

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
.......impressive list, Roger tu2

.....Bartsche, is your 6.5x55 carcano a single shot or magazine fed ??

oldThe Carcano with the mod 93 magazine. Holds 5
The Carcano to 6.5x55 Swede is a single shot . I removed all the bottom metal and welded in a follower . beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mini-Gs are the best conversions - '.06, .308, or .35 Whelen.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some list Roger.

I never got much interested in anything other than
the '17 Enfields.

"06, .243, 300Win/m, and .358 Ultra/M.
All near alike as can be made.

Whole bunch of other guns though.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I only have two at the moment. A m1917 Enfield made by Remington and sporterized in I think the 1920's or 30's. It's not a back yard hack job. It's actually fairly nice.

I also have a m96 Swedish Mauser sporterized by Kimber of Oregon. That one is my favorite blacktail rifle. It's very accurate.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Except for the 03-A3 all of mine are back yard hack jobs and many years of being kept happily doing something that I really liked. FORGOT! There also was a Mod. 95 7mm and a Mod. 1916 Mauser in .308. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
My first, and, so far, only, is a 1909 Peruvian I converted to 9.3 x 62. Sports NECG Masterpiece Banded front and Masterpiece rear sights, Richard's Microfit stock and Timney trigger.

First machining I did in over 30 years. I'm very satisfied with the results. Feeds slick & great fun to shoot!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
My first, and, so far, only, is a 1909 Peruvian I converted to 9.3 x 62. Sports NECG Masterpiece Banded front and Masterpiece rear sights, Richard's Microfit stock and Timney trigger.

First machining I did in over 30 years. I'm very satisfied with the results. Feeds slick & great fun to shoot!

tu2Way to go! I hope you have a lot more fun! claproger beer

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Roger!

I have a couple more projects, like a lever-action with switch barrels (.357 Max and my own 30 x .357 DGW) as well as a scratch-built 7.62 x 25 Tokarov carbine, but no other Military conversions. I do have a 7.65 Argy 1891, but it's going to stay all military.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Roger!

I have a couple more projects, like I do have a 7.65 Argy 1891, but it's going to stay all military.

oldI'm with you on the Mod.91. About 50 yrs. ago I crushed a 91 action when attempting to change barrels. Never worked on another.

Frownerroger beer

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
You've blown us away Bartsche!

My humble efforts have been limited to two .30-06 FN Mausers and one Greek MS, using the original barrels, triggers and stocks. Believe it or not there is enough wood on both of these old warriors to carve (rasp, that is) deceptively believable sporting pistol hands and cheek pieces.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Yep- I always read Roger's posts with an eye toward the unusual.....creative, intuitive and quirky stuff that places him in a fraternity of some of the greatest experimenters! ....well and those who do things "just because I can...."

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep- I always read Roger's posts with an eye toward the unusual.....creative, intuitive and quirky stuff that places him in a fraternity of some of the greatest experimenters! ....well and those who do things "just because I can...."

waveThank you ,kindly claproger beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
no 18 6.5 R bar. what is that?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've squirrelled away a pic of the Carcano w/95 mag. very cool

quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
The Carcano with the mod 93 magazine. Holds 5

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
What has been in my paws at one time or another over the years.
Frncotte (In my ignorance I thought it was a Martini Cadet until I was corrected) from whatever to what I would call a 357 Max long neck 30. Built by one of those crusty old gunsmiths(from the old days) utilizing his shot out competition 308 barrel. He had set it back so many times it has holes on most every side

6.5X50 to 6.5X257

7.7X58 to Don't know, ain't figured it out yet. When I bought it I thought I knew what it was. It is NOT the original chamber and I don't have any brass that chambers in it either.

Chamber cast is the ONLY first step on this one

Gotta get off my duff and cast the chamber and go from there!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by theback40:
Roger,
no 18 6.5 R bar. what is that?[/QUOT]

wave It's one of my wildcats that I designed late 50s or early 60s that Vapo Dog, and Too Many Tools put together for me about 6 or 7 years ago.I designed it around the .243 case with the neck set back into a sharper shoulder and IMPed. Many moons older by design than the .260 or 6.5 Creedmore. With the light barreled mauser it shots nicely nicely! claproger beer

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:

7.7X58 to Don't know, ain't figured it out yet

Roll Eyes7.7 X .284 or just leave it and sporterize it. The actions are strong and it is a good cartridge if reloaded to reasonable modern pressures
Just some ideas to keep you creatively, joyfully busy. cut barrel to usable length and crown, redo or replace stock and modify . Add recoil pad. Design and build a trigger guard mounted safety.Remove rear sight. Drill and tap and mount a scope. maybe you could make a scout style carbine out of it.Design and attach a muzzle brake. Modify or get a descent replacement trigger. Hope you have a lot of fun.

claproger beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P14 Enfield 50 Alaskan
SMLE Enfield to 40/60 Maynard
03 to targert 06AI
Mauser 98 VZ-24 9.3x62
Mauser 98 VZ-24 7x57AI
Mauser 98 1908 Brazilian 375 Ruger

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
M98K 8x57 to 8mm-06 Ackley Improved.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*M17 Enfield (Winchester) to .375 H&H
* FN98 to .300 WBY
* M98 to 30/06, .22/250, .270..........
* Martini Cadet to 7.63 x 39

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by twobobbwana:

* FN98 to .300 WBY
oldCan you tell us more about the WBY?

beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapped, squared etc the action.

Opened bolt face and action rails. Parker Hale steel Magazine floorplate etc.

It's just a "usual" Model 98 to magnum conversion.

Though I've blown cases in half, at the web, it's never been hard to open the bolt.

It's a four down and one up.

Oh and it's a takedown.

The "gun club experts" tell me that you can't do full length magnums on 98s and certainly not takedowns. After 600 - 700 rounds and being across the world.......... well from Queensland to Zimbabwe...... it's never glitched.

I had initial accuracy problems but once they were sorted out it's been my do everything rifle since.

Too big for most of what I shoot but then "I just wanted one".

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
wave Thank U 2 Bob. Great explanation. claproger beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,

If I could post photos I would.

It's not pretty as it's been carried a lot by hand and in a lot of Toyotas.

Is glass stocked and skun up. Got sick of painting it as I couldn't get durable enough paint.

It has a Wilson 24" barrel (bought threaded and chambered in .30/06), Brown Precision stock (pillar bedded), Pachmayr Decelerator pad, an FN98 action, Ruger barrel band sling swivel, Timney trigger (replaced my reworked military one), Jantz swing wing safety, Talley QD mounts, Parker Hale steel magazine/floorplate.

I built it after reading about the Gary Stiles takedowns and liked the idea of no tools.....and I thought the takedown was a nifty idea.

It's taken rabbits, dingoes, feral pigs, Water Buffalo, Brumbies, Impala, Kudu, etc.

When I put it together it shot about a 1/2 choke pattern. But I played with seating depth and got it to shoot 3/4". I no longer bother to shoot it in again if I have to take it down and travel with it ............ though I should.

Headspace is as good as the day I put the barrel in it. And that's after 600 - 700 full strength loads.......... and being taken down for anyone who's interested.

It will get a .375 Wby barrel when I get around to it.

There are things that need tidying up on it ...........but after all I only built it for me and to see if I could do it.......so I might not get around to it.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Hope you don't mind me posting these Pete, I remembered you sending to me some time ago......Twobobbwana's Weatherby 98....

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
clap Wow!! My hat's off to You, Pete. Well thought out and done. Shot my sporterized MAS today. knocked the shit out of me! beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem Yumasteppside.

Just let you all know that the butchered screw has been replaced long ago.

Haven't gotten around to bead blasting and rebluing it nor repainting the stock........other projects to do.

Some of you guys even prefer seeing one that's been "rode hard and put up wet" instead of "gun cabinet queens".

Duanne Wiebe's pictures of his beautiful takedowns have always stopped me posting photos of my DIY takedown experiment.

bartsche this thing wasn't "rocket surgery" though a couple of my doubting mates were present when I put the saw through the stock.......it was a "don't die wondering/do it or shut up about it" moment.

My current "takedown" build is a .30/30 (or .303 Brit) double on a Belgian 20guage.

Scares the hell out of me everytime I go near it ........ but "you'll never never know if you don't give it a go !!!"

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
but "you'll never never know if you don't give it a go !!!"

clap Agreed!!! I'm sure Clyde Magnason would also. If you PM me your e-mail address I,d be glad to start swapping photos and text. beerroger

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Some impressive conversions here...

Mine is a short list:

Arisaka Type 38 to .22-6mm

Arisaka Type 38 to 6.5x57mm

Siamese Type 45 to .450 Alaskan

P17 Winchester to .444 Marlin

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
1943 vintage J P Sauer & Sohn K98 with cut down 98/29 barrel 26" 1904 Portuguese Vaquero bottom metal

Rechambered from 8 x 57 to 8mm-06 Ackley Improved.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P14 Enfield 338WinMag
Mex mauser 308
M98 308
M98 7mmRemmag.
M98 22ppc
M98 308 heavy barrel
M98 30-30 Win

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My 30-40 Krag. I made it into a scout concept,cutting + crowning the bbl. D+T = mnted a Leupold LER 2.5x8. Kept original stock but you could'nt tell as I worked away all the unsesarry weight. I totaly broke it down to base components then jeweled everything in the guts.Since set triggers are not available for the Krag I built my own by drilling through the trigger body + inserting a threaded rod to contact the sear + adjusted it thus. Actually it was easier to do it than to describe it. This piece is a Pontiac on the surface but a Rolls inside.Pics won't do it service but if anyone is down this way I would be glad to show it off.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
My 30-40 Krag. I made it into a scout concept,cutting + crowning the bbl. D+T = mnted a Leupold LER 2.5x8. Kept original stock but you could'nt tell as I worked away all the unsesarry weight. I totaly broke it down to base components then jeweled everything in the guts.Since set triggers are not available for the Krag I built my own by drilling through the trigger body + inserting a threaded rod to contact the sear + adjusted it thus. Actually it was easier to do it than to describe it. This piece is a Pontiac on the surface but a Rolls inside.Pics won't do it service but if anyone is down this way I would be glad to show it off.

clap Just because !!I would like you to E-Mail me photos .
bartsche@sbcglobal.net
beerroger

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Roger,next time I get one of my computer savvy sons over.I'll have them take some pics. to share.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is mine:

A 1935 Argentine Mauser Werke (marked Modelo-Mauser-1935)with its original military stock reworked (I decided to do this because the OUTSTANDING walnut, both figured and perfectly quarter sawn layout).
The original was 7,65x53 of course, but that barrel was slightly pitted so I put a NEW S.I.G. military 7x57 one. The scope is a 1972 Carl Zeiss Diatal DA 4x32 Ret 1. In an old Warne mounts over a custom made perfectly aligned bases. Done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put in good use by one of my sons.
By the way, the scope has a non centered reticle, but because the carefully custom made bases, it is almost dead centered!

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PatagonHunter:
Put in good use by one of my sons.
By the way, the scope has a non centered reticle, but because the carefully custom made bases, it is almost dead centered!

Your son is, assuming good sealing etc, truly blessed. Modern scopes with constantly centred reticles are in fact folly, promising something that only an idiot should need but costing a world of stability.

There was no brand better than Zeiss I can think of in that time.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello sambarman338,

Agree!

Good luck and Merry Christmas