New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Swede
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked this up for $270 at a gun show today. Custom stocked and all screws are timed. Cock on opening converted. Steel butt plate and grip cap. The soderin sight will be removed and sold. The action will be drilled, tapped and scoped. I may have it checkered. Looking forward to white tail deer hunting this fall. I love the caliber.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like your off to a very good start!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! Sounds like a huge bargain.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very nice + a bargain at that price. Good job on the Neidner buttplate fitting.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite calibers as well. Very nice example.
And wow, you have gun shows? Eeker

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW - so much to talk about in one single post.

Off the bat - what a beautiful rifle! Simple and unadorned, but just beautiful, especially the stock, and I don't know why I'm so drawn to that. There's no fancy figure to speak of, but the colour and grain, coupled with the clean and classic lines, are simply perfect. I'd love one like it on one of my own. As for the rest, it doesn't hurt that it's in my hands-down, favourite caliber. My first centerfire was an original 6.5X55, and it's been my go-to ever since. If there's one negative for me, it's that some vandal converted it to cock-on-opening, a pathetic solution to a non-existent problem.

As for the Soderin, I can understand why you would let it go; it's not really suited to this style of rifle. It will be a fine catch for someone who's restoring a more original Swedish, and the good price you'll get for it will turn your fire-sale purchase price into a borderline criminal act! I just hope you replace it with a nice, classic-style scope, something period-looking if not period correct, and not some big, matte-finished, google-eye coffee can full of electronics and plastic parts. I notice your home décor is in very much keeping with this rifle, by the way. The scope should be the same.

An outstanding purchase indeed. I envy you, sir!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And, oh yes, to echo Bill: You have gun shows? Pretty hard to do here, with group limits and distancing restrictions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
If there's one negative for me, it's that some vandal converted it to cock-on-opening, a pathetic solution to a non-existent problem.

It is a nonexistent problem. But it was done very very well. It feels like a m98... and it is fast, so they must have put a speed kit in it.

quote:
I just hope you replace it with a nice, classic-style scope, something period-looking if not period correct, and not some big, matte-finished, google-eye coffee can full of electronics and plastic parts.

I have a nice little zeiss 4x32 fixed, or a 1-4 Tradewinds, made in germany 26mm tube scope, or a compact 3-9x40 Meopta, or a 4-12x40 Meopta.

Re: my décor... we were missionaries in Africa for a few years. Our living room has a bunch of stuff from there.

Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a town about 30 miles away, Hutchinson, KS had a show with 150 tables. We thought it was a waste of time. My son picked up an AK for $730 and the going rate on gun broker is $1800... and I found this swede from the same dealer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got it all in hand. And I hope you kept that dealer's business card!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like you've got it all in hand. And I hope you kept that dealer's business card!

I've known him for 30 years. He is an expert for sure... but he missed the value of these two.

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Nice gun, I would have grabbed it at that price, and probably would leave the receiver sight on. I have one on a model 96, otherwise full military. I have a Husqvarna 46 that has similar lines, but an single leaf rear sight much like an express sight, nice wood similar in grain and color to that, but full factory, and it is still cock on closing which I have grown to like. Downside is that it is not 6.5x55 but is a 9.3x57. I do have a M38, dated 1900 by Mauser Obendorf with a two digit serial number, all numbered parts matching.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote