Tools

Eddystone
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Sporterized Eddystone 06

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigger pics? would like to get a good gander at this and your jap in the other post- both really interesting.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't figure out how to get them larger, technology impaired. I would be happy to e-mail the originals if you like

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three of these, two finished and nice, both filled the freezer. One many times.
Third is in the works now. going to be a .358U/m. Kevin Weaver is building it.
Should be finished by end of this month.

Oldest I shot out as an 06, rechambered to .300Win/M, next is a nice 06.

No way I can post pics, don't even have a camera any longer.

Love those dog leg bolts, left 'em that way.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned was an Eddystone that had been semi-customized: Bishop stock and straightened floor metal, original five groove '06 barrel. That rifle shot cloverleafs so often it was boring.

Alas, I am a southpaw and it was not, so we parted ways...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, my .300win is so worn out I can barely see the rifling. Yet it'll still put five in an inch at 100 and even I can put 'em all on a typing page at 300yds.

I did learn it shoots 200gr Sierra GK's better than it did 180gr C/L's.
Man that thing was wicked with 110's on p'dogs as an '06.

Long as it'll keep shooting better than I can it'll keep the original barrel.

The .358U/m barrel is a Douglas 14:1, should do nicely with .250's at 3200fps, 97gr 7828, or equal 4831sc however that one works out. Should be done by end of this month.

Thanks for the reply,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
One of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned was an Eddystone that had been semi-customized: Bishop stock and straightened floor metal, original five groove '06 barrel. That rifle shot cloverleafs so often it was boring.

Alas, I am a southpaw and it was not, so we parted ways...

Scot-

Is this the same rifle I am acquainted with?

Mark

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, Mark. I wish it were... the one I spoke of I got rid of about 20 years ago...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
I have three of these, two finished and nice, both filled the freezer. One many times.
Third is in the works now. going to be a .358U/m. Kevin Weaver is building it.
Should be finished by end of this month.

Oldest I shot out as an 06, rechambered to .300Win/M, next is a nice 06.

No way I can post pics, don't even have a camera any longer.

Love those dog leg bolts, left 'em that way.
George

Georg what is a 358U/m?

I like the dogleg bolt handles and will be leaving them that way on my 8X68s and 350Rigby. On eis a Winchester action the other a Remington action.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Enfields can certainly be made into reliable, nice looking rifles.
Here is my 9.3x62 Enfield stocked by Lon Paul and his 350 Rigby that was used on a spring Brown Bear hunt on the Alaska peninsula

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
^^^^
My god that is nice!
Thanks for posting

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rule:

Remington made just about every caliber Ultra Mag from 7mm up to 375 except the 35cal.
The U/m: is Ultra Mag.

Got the gun back I hope for the last time three days ago. Haven't made it to the range yet, hopefully tomorrow. I have fired 50 fire forming loads with cast .38/170gr bullets and 10gr Red Dot. I welded up a bullet trap in my shop that will hold anything I desired shooting into it. So far the biggest has been 300gr .375H&H. Just a couple though as I'm middle house of seven on the block right in town. So far I haven't heard of any complaints. When I do fire the big stuff I keep it down to less than six shots.

Hope this answered your question and gave a bit more of what I do at times. We've got to shoot even if we can't make it to the range very often, right?
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Enfields can certainly be made into reliable, nice looking rifles.
Here is my 9.3x62 Enfield stocked by Lon Paul and his 350 Rigby that was used on a spring Brown Bear hunt on the Alaska peninsula

This picture inspired me! Today a nice 1917 was waiting at the Post Office, now either screw on PWS's 400 Whelen barrel or possibly a rebore with JES if there's enough metal to do it.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You are dam close to having a 400 Whelen.
Get it done!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
You are dam close to having a 400 Whelen.
Get it done!

Boxing it up now for a trip to Jesse!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine looking rifles!

Can anyone post a few pics for me? I have three, two are Eddystones, the other a Sako. All three I stocked myself, real pretty.
There's pics on e'mail I can send to someone that would be willing to post them. I'm about as illiterate with computers as anyone.

Thanks much, you can pm your addy if you're willing.

I finally got out to the range with the 358U/M today. Shot 50 fireforming light loads in it offhand for practice. Did better than I expected. First shooting I've done since having both shoulders replaced. Gun shoulder mid Jan. Still a bit weak but, had a nice bench to set on to rest it up. I need to get a camera and take some pictures of it now.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight