Find
Notify
Tools

RA Enfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
I may have farked up at the Tulsa gun show. Had a chance to buy an Enfield 1917 RA.(action only) Guy didnt know what caliber its was, I assume it was 30/06 but know nothing about these. Could someone educate me on this so I'll know better next time. I'm kicking myselfe for not taking a chance on it... faint

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You were not looking at a 1917; it was a P14, 303 British.
Very good actions, magnum bolt face.
Remington 1917s are marked fully, US Model of 1917, with REMINGTON on them. Winchesters, Eddystone 1917s are fully marked with their company names.
P14s are marked, RE, ERA, and W. The ERA, is because Remington owned the Eddystone factory. No model designation is marked on them.
No Enfields are factory marked RA.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I know about Remington/Winchester/Eddystone, as I have worked on these. Digging a little further I believe this to be a 1917 made British action from Royal Arms (RA) as it did have a small British Mfg. stamp on the action and bolt. (It was an action only) Was a perfect match to our made 1917, and had an identical bolt as the Remington. Looked just like a .276 Enfield with a few British Mfg. markings...all matching serial numbers. RA was on the receiver ring...???

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not sure how a Pattern 14 got made in England in 1917 as no one was tooled up to produce them there. Maybe some sort of experiment. The Pattern 13 was made at RSAF, Enfield, they made 1200. Vickers was going to produce the pattern 14 but couldn't do it as WW1 was starting.
Do you have a picture of it?
I saw an original 8mm once; so there are some rare ones out there.
Should have bought it anyway.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
The man that had it I've bought parts from for over 20 years...said he had never seen one. I had my phone but didn't think about getting a picture...I was going to buy it the next day. You never let one get away at the price he was asking (cheap enough) someone out there got something nice, I farked up!

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
hammering

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

Big question: are you SURE it was: RA and not RIA???? RIA: was Rock Island Arsenal. I don't see any RA's in the Enfield book.
Dcpd may know about the .303's, I don't. Just asking is all.

Don't fret too much if you want one.
Several of us have unused actions. Maybe not at a give away price, but, not out of reason either.

IF you find another at a sale, get the brand and ser#, those of us with the book can look it up for you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks George...It had RA in capital letters right on top of the action. Don't really need one but this one caught my eye and I couldnt find anything about it then as now. One reason it got away...thought to long on it...lol.