Notify
Tools

Mosin Nagant in 450 Marlin
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I like this idea, and it seems like the author did a reasonable job:

http://garagegunsmithing.com/i...topic.php&f=34&t=907

Something like this cut to 19 inches would be a fun little woods rifle/possible bear gun I kinda think.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A handy and handsome M-N could indeed be put together in that chambering; nice for piggies/deer.

I know the M-N can be converted to 45-70 also, can the magazine be utilized using the 45-70, or does it have to be a single shot?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice conversion.
the 45-70 conversions have been made into 3 shot repeaters by cutting the sides of the magazine similar to the way the 450 marlin rifle was done. they usually only do three rounds so the cuts can be hidden inside the stock.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting rifle. I have a 450 reamer and a Russian 91/30. What is the size of the barrel shank, thread pitch etc. Who made the barrel and who installed it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've threaded several barrels for mosins and they are 16tpi, the shank is .980 dia. x .937 long.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would make a neat little brush popper.

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Would a MN hold the power of the heavily loaded 45-70?

Would make a neat little brush gun with the short barrel, and a couple of heavy 450+ grain cast bullets in the magazine.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard several gunsmiths say that the M-N was as strong as a 98 Mauser.
That being said, I would say get one that was made after the war to ensure it was not made in a hurry.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be converting an M44 to 458x2" shortly. The reason for this chambering is the gunsmith has the reamer on hand and since you can use any magnum brass it is actually cheaper than buying the Marlin brass. I think it will be a fun one to mess around with. I shot two boxes of ammo through it in the original configuration and was less than impressed with the accuracy. It has sat in the safe for the last few years while I figured out what I was going to do with it.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote