Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

replacement sights for a Mauser 98
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for help in getting a set of replacement sights for my K98. I'm having a hard time with the original triangle front sight and rear "v." I don't want to alter the rifle, but I want something I can see better and hopefully hit with. I looked at the MOJO website and their sight look like they would work, however, they don't recomend them for low light. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks. Mark

Posts: 20 | Location: SE Ohio | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
ebay

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Brownells

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Marble used to make a bead front sight that fit the original Mauser dovetail. Brownells should carry them.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. Would I be correct in assuming that the K98 has a dovetail that is different than most standard front sight dovetails? Also, would in make sense to buy a bead front sight and file the rear into a shallow 'V'; or buy a square front sight post and file the rear sight into a square notch? Or is that a bad idea to alter the original rear sight?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you put a square on the front, you should put a U notch for the rear.

But my suggestion is put a round bead on the front and keep the V Rear sight.

Less changes.

Just my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark K: Would I be correct in assuming that the K98 has a dovetail that is different than most standard front sight dovetails?
Yes.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I appear to be having a hard time locating a sight for the K98. I have located some sights that say they are for the 96, which I believe is the small ring mauser. Does anyone know if the 96 sights will fit the 98? Thanks

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Look on page 254, Brownell's catalog 63. And there's some original military Mauser front sight blades on ebay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the 96 and 98 uses the same dovetail. If your rifle is matching or or don't want to ruin the one on it you might also get another rear sight leaf so you can alter the notch.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mark,
i have several of the old marbles mauser front sights.they are no longer in production & getting very hard to find.
i also have some that fit the enfield dovtail that are easily modified to fit the mauser dovetail. the enfield dovetail is just a tiny bit bigger.
pm me if your intersested.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You can use a small round "jewelers" file to carefully file that rear V notch into a U.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I thought I had the proper sight but the one I have is too long to look right on the military ramp.

Here is where you can get a "Firesight", a fiber optic front bead sight. They work great in low light.

I had one fitted to a mauser. The (male) dovetail is standard 3/8". I enlarged the (female) dovetail on the GI ramp, but you could also reduce the (male) dovetail on the bead itself to fit the GI female dovetail on your rifle.

GO HERE, scroll down to the ".22, muzzleloader" sights. they are the short length type you will want.

Part #59083 is 3/8" high as measured from the base of the dovetail, just a bit high, about .075" once it is fitted to the smaller dovetail on the GI ramp,

That will lower the POI about 13" @ 100yds. W/good reloads, it will be about right. It was nearly perfect W/the 180gr Nosler BT @ 2800 fps reloads I was shooting in my rifle. You can just move the rear leaf to somewhere around the 300 meter setting if your GI sights shoot to a true POA. (mine didn't)

EDIT: If you decide to go this route, the sight hieghts I quoted are for a K98 Oberndorf Mauser circa '38-'40 that has a band type ramp. Your sights may be higher. I have a junk take off barrel (VZ 24?) that has a front sight leaf (bandless ramp) that is about the same hieght as the .375 Willimas sight.

The Williams sights are measured from the botton of the dovetail. The leaf itself will be about .175" less.(.375" = .200", .410" = .235", etc)

Measure your front bead from the top of the ramp to the top of the bead. To get a Williams sight the same hieght get a bead that is spec'ed @ least .175" higher.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting a Marble's ivory bead front sight from dirtyjim. It fit like a charm and was the perfect height. I did not have to change the rear sight. It made the front sight a whole lot easier to find in lower light. Thanks to everyone for your help. Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get an extra rear sight leaf and a Swedish Mauser front sight blade off Ebay, Numrich or SARCO. File a U-notch in the leaf it as described. Adjust the height of the front sight with a file to regulate your load.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote