Find
Notify
Tools

Who owns this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I can't remember where I found this pic, I think it was this forum.....

.....do you own this, is it finished.....if it's yours, please PM me, I have some questions Confused

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just lovely!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
All of us L-S fans have some questions about that beauty!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I remember the owner telling me that the scope mounts were Leupold QD's and the pic was titled " dads gun ", but I still can't remember where I found it Mad

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
That is going to finish out as one pretty piece of wood!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s not the standard magazine is it? It looks like it’s been shortened.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's a nice job on the SMLE; I'd like to see the finished pics.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
I remember the owner telling me that the scope mounts were Leupold QD's and the pic was titled " dads gun ", but I still can't remember where I found it Mad

Roger

Might have been this guy:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=0#Post311178

No pics left hanging in the thread.
But he does refer to one of the rifles he was building as 'Dad's Gun' more than a few times.

Thread was in the Lee-Speed section on Nitro-Express

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks but I don't think that's it....he says " dads rifle" has a 19" barrel and an ATI plastic stock.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Shortened magazines were offered by the commercial makers of Enfield spot
I would have removed the clip guide... I know he used it as a scope base but sporters usually didn't use them. Especially when made from the early rifles, which didn't have one. Like the MKs, pre Number series.
I don't know whose that one is though. But the wood looks like Von Gruffs; might ask him.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....don't think so Tom, the grips the wrong shape.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
perfume for pigs. It was your post. I use google image search.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/vi...pic.php?f=13&t=10540

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks but I don't think that's it....he says " dads rifle" has a 19" barrel and an ATI plastic stock.

Roger

I though that's what he started out with and used the ATI stock as sort of a pattern for the wooden one he later made. Confusing thread to follow.
Hope we find the maker. Nice styling.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
The original post was not mine Rich, I was using the pic to illustrate to a young bloke, Stoney, what could be done with an Enfield.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this is much cooler. As you can see it's a Mosin Nagant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geesh, nobody like Mosins??

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I do! Actually I like anything that has that attached magazine look, Mosins, carcano's, early Mannlichers and Enfields etc.....but at the moment I'm more interested in finding the owner, or at least some information on the Enfield.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do! Actually I like anything that has that attached magazine look, Mosins, carcano's, early Mannlichers and Enfields etc.....but at the moment I'm more interested in finding the owner, or at least some information on the Enfield.

Roger

Did you post that picture on this forum?:

https://enoughgun.com/forum/vi...pic.php?f=13&t=10540

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....read the reply above the pic you posted....

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:

Well first, to answer your question: Frankly....no. However, much as I dislike Stalin's crowbar (purely based on prejudice; I've never even held one), I have to concede that someone's made a very handsome silk purse out of that one. Yours?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And sorry for the hijack, Roger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:

Well first, to answer your question: Frankly....no. However, much as I dislike Stalin's crowbar (purely based on prejudice; I've never even held one), I have to concede that someone's made a very handsome silk purse out of that one. Yours?

No I wish it were though. It's the gunsmith that often writes in Shooting Times magazine. He said he was going to start an article on how to make one like his. He never did.

The Russian rifles to go after are the one the Finish captured and rebuilt. They will give you a greater appreciation of the Mosin. Everything on the Mosin is purposely designed and most of that is around the extreme cold temperature and climate they originated at. Sorry for the hijack too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, that happens all the time here when there is drifting from the original topic. I also have no faith in ANYTHING soviet ( I know it was Russian 1st but old habits die hard). That being said, I never cared for the Arisaka either for the same prejudices, but P.O. Ackley experienced with them + I was surprised at the strength. The bottom line is if it suits you shoot it.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Not a problem gentlemen, varied discussion is a good thing....and we have a winner.....the rifle belongs to Chris from canada, it was his fathers #1 Parker Hale 303, its not finished yet, ready for checkering and engraving, etc....I received a reply on another forum.

Not mine but one of my favourites.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Don't worry, that happens all the time here when there is drifting from the original topic. I also have no faith in ANYTHING soviet ( I know it was Russian 1st but old habits die hard). That being said, I never cared for the Arisaka either for the same prejudices, but P.O. Ackley experienced with them + I was surprised at the strength. The bottom line is if it suits you shoot it.

I look at it this way Norman. God created all the people in the whole world. So try not to hold and prejudice. I once mocked the Mosins too, but then after owning one I was impressed. Same goes for the Arisaka. Have you noticed that Japanese didn't want to cut that ejector slot all the way through the left hand lug? Yes, they only cut it partially through and then put that lug behind it to guide the ejector blade so that it wouldn't run into the back of the left hand lug. This made the bolt lug stronger! By the way the Arisaka action wasted copied off the 98 Mauser, but the 93-95. The big tell tale is firing pin safety to insure the bolt is fulling close before the firing pin can move forward to fire...it's the early type, not the 98.

Sorry about rattling on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a problem gentlemen, varied discussion is a good thing....and we have a winner.....the rifle belongs to Chris from canada, it was his fathers #1 Parker Hale 303, its not finished yet, ready for checkering and engraving, etc....I received a reply on another forum.

Not mine but one of my favourites.

Roger

Dang that's a nice one too Roger!! Personally I've never cared for the magazine protruding on any rifle. I know one fellow mentioned that's the thing he likes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bottom line is if it suits you shoot it.

Absolutely!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry about rattling on.

That's what the forums are all about. I learned interesting things that I never knew, and Roger got his question answered in the middle of it all. We all win.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....I was the one who said I liked the old style magazine rifles, it gives them a distinguished old world look when sporterised.....just my opinion!...just holding one of these old masterpieces can transport you back to a more " interesting " time.... a bit like watching " the Wind and the Lion " or " The Ghost and the Darkness "

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post

Some more pics .....

A work in progress, due for completion for a Fall 2021 caribou hunt....lucky bastard!

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, "The Wind + the Lion." My favorite scene was the marines quick marching up to the palace + "Hostiles to the left. Left Turn. Present. Fire," Well one of my favorites. It was + is a great movie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a great scene, for sure. It certainly typifies how they got things done in Roosevelt's administration. And Brian Keith was born to play him, other than being too tall. History is crying out for a really good movie about Teddy Roosevelt. He's only ever been portrayed as a caricature. Unfortunately, Hollywood would make it's usual mess of it, so we're better off that they've left it alone. I'm part-way through re-reading his "African Game Trails". No one writes a narrative more descriptively the an Edwardian-era gentleman, British or American.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Another pic just to keep this thread going....

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another pic just to keep this thread going....

Roger

Thread?....that pic gets my blood going!!! Some really cool stuff you have posted. I'm realizing I don't have a big enough gun safe!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful stick for sure.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. just one more post theft then I'll quit. R/E "The Wind + The Lion", my other favorite scene was in the beginning when Candice Bergan was having tea with the English diplomat as the Berbers arrived. He stands up (British cool) + out of hi immaculate white suit produces a 455 Webley Bulldog + commences to fire as if he were on the range. And after his last shot + words on this earth was a calm "Damn."Back to topic. That is a beautiful rifle + very nice work.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
With all this exposure, Chris now has a burr in his arse about getting it finished.
A start on the checkering with the points and borders still to be done.....24 LPI....

Roger

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Some new pics.....of what I think is the most beautiful Enfield I have seen....

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goodness... that has to be one of the most elegant Enfields I have ever seen. Very nice!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote