New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple of mine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is a M43 Spanish Mauser in .8MM I bought to use as a donor action. However as bad as it looks it shoots pretty good. I have decided to remove the ugly bolt handle and add another, remove the sights, put the scope on regular scope base and rings and add an after market trigger. Then I will clean it up for a reblue or paint and mount in a new stock.

This rife is the .308 I have talked about in the Medium calibers section. This rifle started life as a K98 Mauser. It looked much like the above rifle when I got it. Someone had already bent the bolt, chopped the stock and installed a Timney Trigger. Like the above rifle it also had those horriable see thru scope rings but they were drilled wrong and were off some. The rifle shot horrible. I totally reworked this rifle hand lapping a new .308 barrel into the receiver and lapping the bolt lugs. All parts were painted with Gunkote a bake on finish. The rifle is set in a Hogue overmolded stock. It wears a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 power scope. With my handloads it shoots sub MOA and will make me a fine foul weather hunting rifle.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
How do you like the Hogue overmolded stock? Every time I picked one of them up at one of the shops it felt sticky to the touch.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like it. It takes awhile to get used to that feel and it is not at all attractive. but it is quiet and I like the feel.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I really like the 308, how durable is the green finish? Do you have any closeup pics of the action?

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not as happy with the finish as I thought I would be. I should have sand blasted the parts before I painted them. That said it is holding up o.k. but will scratch off. I can take some pics of the action and post them.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the finish, looks-wise. I have an M1 carbine finished in Brownells bake-on lacquer that has served me well- any scratches were just repainted and re-baked.

You have a nice example of a working rifle.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
I like the finish, looks-wise. I have an M1 carbine finished in Brownells bake-on lacquer that has served me well- any scratches were just repainted and re-baked.

Aren't they all supposed to work? bewildered
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:

Thank you I think so.

Aren't they all supposed to work? bewildered
Big Grin

Yes they are but some work better than others.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes they are but some work better than others.

Make no mistake, I'd own that rifle and enjoy it in a heartbeat. Wink

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote