Find
Notify
Tools

M96 synthetic stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Can anyone identify this stock or know where I can get one ??.....or one like it ??
I'm looking for this " chunkier " style of stock as opposed to the usual slimmer versions, I'm 6'4 and have hands like an Orangutan, they wrap around most stocks. Frowner

Roger

P.S......its for a M96 Swede

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Choate . They have blind mag wells and come with a trig guard . They are lite and smallish . Have you handled it ? I've got small hands and it's one that feels better than say a Ramline . I can email pics if you want .
Gary

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Choate , has a blind mag , comes with a trig guard . I can send pics cause it's on the slim side and I have small hands . The Ramline or Fajen is larger . Fajen is the largest and heaviest . I can send pics to email . Email me if you want pics of all 3 . Ggmac5@aol.com

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary, no I haven't handled one.......found the pic on an interweb auction site, like the looks of it....seem to be very limited on choice for synthetic Swede stocks Frowner
...email on its way

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....not sure how much you know about these particular stocks, but could they be modified to take a standard trigger guard/floorplate or a box mag conversion ??

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yuma, if you want that just get the Ramline. Not fancy but works.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My Swed is in a ramline. Wish a Hogue overmold came in m96.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger , the Choate can't be modified . I say that knowing anything can be made to work but it would be easier/better to just get the Ramline or Fajen . I sent you pics of all three , I hope !

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary, pics received, tu2
Is the Choate plastic or fibreglass ? I don't mean to upset anyone, but that ramline looks like super tupperware.....richj, is that a push button release on a standard floorplate ??

Roger

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Hard plastic it is. Yes an extended button on the FP.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well the ramlines aren't the prettiest but they do work.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All three are plastic , the Choate the lightest by far . I built 12 30-06 Mausers on these for a hunt camp as back up loaner rifles . 7 were sold to the life members the first season . No they weren't suppose to be sold but I guess life members have privileges .
Ramline is a harder plastic and Fajen is the heaviest , bulkiest , but it can be opened for a 1.25 bull barrel .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramline would be my choice , paint or dip it .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a cut down CG 63 stock off a member on Gunboards. only problem is the entire stock is covered in what looks like truck bed lining compound. I'm going to stick a cut down 1896 that has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts and I had the bolt handle altered for use with a scope. put an WTB in the Want to buy,want to trade section on gunboards and see if you get any hits.The CG63 stock is much fuller in its dimensions than either synthetic stock shown in the thread. Hope you can find one. I have to dremel the front recoil lug area on mine then will rebed the front receiver ring and recoil lug. Frank

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......well I sort of did and didn't get a Ramline stock, I ordered a Champion stock for my M96.....apparently Champion bought out Ramline and changed the design a bit, anyway I don't mind the look of it.....

Roger

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Good deal. Now let the fun begin!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......new stock arrived yesterday, like the look of it, feels good, not too sure about the " snake skin " checkering.....the fit ? well....with the barrelled action in the stock, the action screws ( no trigger guard/ floorplate )are canted off to one side about 5 degrees. With the floorplate in but no screws, the action screw holes are -rear....too far forward,-front....off to one side Confused Mad Eeker thumbdown
As a guess I would think the action sits too low at the back (or high in the front) and is twisted to the right in the stock.....the rear screw will start but the bolt head hits the front of the triggerguard hole, and looking from the bottom the front screw hole is too far to the left to start.....I'm thinking a Dremel and some Accraglass Confused

Roger