New
Find
Notify
Tools

All around 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw one last week in the shop. Sweet little rifle. If a Mauser 98 and a M96 Swede had a baby it would be a 1640.

quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Sounds like you're looking for something different.
How about a Husqvarna 1640? They're slick looking, well-made, with a super strong action. They're light weight and accurate. A little different, so it might make you excited to own it. I love the schnabel forend. Not expensive, either. Simpson's often has some for sale.

I know we are handing out opinions like which is better; a Ford or a Chevy but this is an excellent choice. It was my first .30-06 many years ago and one I would dearly like to own again!

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two types: Tools and Beauties. When it comes to tools, I would say the Ruger American. For Beauties, I prefer the full stock Mannlicher. Huge difference in price. I have a full stock made by Heym and Marketed by Montgomery Ward. Great rifle for under $600 before scoped. I had DPCD put in a Timney trigger and side safety.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about Husky rifles but I like what's been said in this thread. I may have an opportunity to buy this one (with a Lyman All-American 4x) but I know nothing about it. What can you tell me.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger M77 Mrk. II is a 30-'06 with 22" barrel, no iron sights, but has scope rings. Weighs in at 6lbs., 5 oz. with factory stock and no scope. A really nice rifle for about $600 to $700 bucks. Almost as nice as my New Haven M70.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
I know nothing about Husky rifles but I like what's been said in this thread. I may have an opportunity to buy this one (with a Lyman All-American 4x) but I know nothing about it. What can you tell me.

They're really light rifles. They usually have pencil barrels. Despite this, they're uniformly accurate. IIRC, in the 60's I think they did an action strength test packing wet sand into the barrels on all the commercial and military actions, and the Husqvarna 1640's alone weren't damaged.

Husqvarna made 98 actions also, but the 1640's dropped the stripper clip cut as well as the big sqaure bolt release to streamline the action; they were made of the best (Swedish) steel. They retain the Mauser claw extractor. Trigger is nothing special. But the rifle is strong, light, and accurate, and I just love how they look and handle.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with a Husky. Based on the 98 Mauser, along with the classic 30-06, you have a solid foundation to make it “your” rifle.

I’ve had three and still have one in 6.5x55.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me which model Husky this is?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 1600 to me.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking at photos it looks like it may be a 1640 because of the Monte Carlo stock. Serial no indicates 1956(?). Which action would this be?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 30/06 Husqvarna (1600 type) that I’ve not fired since 2011. If you are interested, PM me please. Nice, accurate rifle. Can send pictures after this elk hunt ends.

Posts: 152 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allan’s-Armory just got in three Husqvarna 1600 rifles in 30-06. Priced from $500-$450.
All used C&R eligible.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a 4100 and 456, both 1640 actions and in .30'06. The finest handling rifles I've ever owned!

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe;

Thank you for posting the picture. I’m definitely going to pursue the one I know about.

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would rather buy a used pre 64 mod. 70 for $900 than any new gun on the market, I paid $675 for mine, its got wear outside, perfect bore, no pits, used but not abused and shoots under and inch with most any load and all loads to the same POI and best of all, I don't have to baby this old girl, hse is ready to hunt...I see shooter pre 64s today at $600 to $650 at Idaho gun shows, some are priced higher, but sale time on the last day is a good time to make an offer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Joe;

Thank you for posting the picture. I’m definitely going to pursue the one I know about.

Jay

Did you buy it?

They are one of the best values out there for used rifles.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Working on it. There is some “drama” in the family so I may have to wait until the dust settles.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Working on it. There is some “drama” in the family so I may have to wait until the dust settles.

If you need a place holder until you get one bought PM me and I'll send you my camp loaner '06

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Got Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine and Remington 750. Keep. Don't selling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That semi-schnabel on the stock is great. Really breaks up the club look of a Mannlicher.
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
Got Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine and Remington 750.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Single set trigger nice feature.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those sako Bavarian carbine are lovely!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I held one of the Sako Bavarian rifles like your .30-06 in a local store..it was in .260. Oh how I should have brought it home.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sportsman's Warehouse is having a sale on the new Sauer 100 XT $599. Check out the features you will not find on another rifle in that price range and the reviews are outstanding.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .30-06 is my go to light rifle and I'm kind of a M70 guy. My go to is a new model controlled round feed. Custom synthetic stock, forget the make. It's cut down and fitted with irons and Talley detachable bases. Topped with a Swaro 1-6.
Super light weight. Not my most accurate rifle but accurate enough. My vote is for a M70.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting. Can you post some photos of your rifle?

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
my do it all 30-06 is a old ruger 77 tang safety

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Ruger Hawkeyes as I have posted above, but my 'Best' 30-06s are my Ruger Express rifles (5) and my CZ550 AHR #3 package (1). They are beautiful rifles, and I have taken one of my Ruger Express 30-06s to Africa as the light rifle, with a 375H&H as my medium and a 458Lott as my heavy. All three were Rugers.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 30-06 "Go to Rifle" is an M70 Featherweight.
Light and handy, and I like the slim forestock.
Presicion with 165 grs Woodleigh PP is exellent, so for me, this is a keeper.
I also have a second M70 FW, rebarreled to 338-06 A-Square, which is my "moose rifle".
Love them both Smiler

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KWard:
my do it all 30-06 is a old ruger 77 tang safety

That was my first centerfire rifle. It was handy and would shoot tight groups all day but I hated carrying it. The squared off bottom felt like I was carrying a 2x4. This summer I saw a M77 “Lightweight” 3006 listed on GB or GI. Looked like the typical 77 with a tang safety and a red pad but the barrel was 22” and the stock much more sculpted. It reminded me of the 700 BDL Mountain Rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Our latest gun shows in Idaho have had a number of pre 64s in 30-06 and 270 both fwt and std wt. for $600 to $675. other calibers in $800-900 range and the rare ones for higher prices..

Thats the cheapest Ive seen them in years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A pre-64 Featherweight for $600-$675 would be a no-brainer. Easy decision.

Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 30-06 go to rifle is a Dakota 76. I shot my leopard with it and will never part with it. I plan to be buried with my.375 Flanged Chapuis double though. You never know what you might run into in the afterlife!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote