Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 Police vs Savage 10
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to know some opinions between Remington 700 Police and Savage 10 with Hs Precision stock in 308 W. Which the best for target shooting with an accurate reloading?
Thanks

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
IMO it will be hit or miss with either. I honestly feel you can't go wrong with either as they are both good rifles for the price.

Superb accuracy is a gamble with any factory rifle.

I have a 700P that shoots very well but, I've talked to other 700P owners that didn't shoot quite as well although the still shot above average. I've shot accurate Savages and not so accurate Savages.

It's a toss up, I'd buy the one that fits you better.

Another thing is the trigger, you may or may not like the AT in the Savage. The Remington trigger will probably be stiff but easy to adjust.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your input

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the August 2006 issue, Gun Tests did a review of these two rifles. While the accuracy was virtually identical, the review gave the edge to the Remington based on stock comfort and action smoothness. Here's a link, but you have to buy the article to read all of it.

Gun Tests article

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
My nod goes to the 700P, not for any intrinsic accuracy potential; but, if you dave a lame shooter, it is a lot easier to find a smith to do the repairs on a remington. My .308 700 P constantly irritates me by shooting 1/2 MOA groups while I have a VSF does 1/4 moa. Your results may vary.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which the best for target shooting with an accurate reloading?

quit wasting time w/ either and call CDNN Investments and get yourself an SBS HBAR. its the identical rifle to the steyr tactical (aka steyr ssg04). $699 and it will out shoot either everyday.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quit wasting time w/ either and call CDNN Investments and get yourself an SBS HBAR. its the identical rifle to the steyr tactical (aka steyr ssg04). $699 and it will out shoot either everyday.

I've got a few Remingtons I'll put against them any day of the week Big Grin

Sure, They may be a good rifle but they will not "out shoot either everyday."

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:

I've got a few Remingtons I'll put against them any day of the week Big Grin

Sure, They may be a good rifle but they will not "out shoot either everyday."

Reloader

ill be in smackover AR november week. thats west of eldorado and north of monroe.
well get together and see. ill put my 20" lightweight against ANY stock remington pss or savage 110 fp.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If you want to prove your point, drive on down to the Bodcau range in North West LA near Shreveport.

It better be shooting better than .25 MOA to hang with my 700P in 300WM.

Oh yeah, I've got a Remington 100XR I bought last year for $599 in 22-250 that routinely puts 3 in one hole for high .1s and low .2s at 100 and around .5 down at 200.

Both rifles Bone stock with no bedding. Haven't gotten around to bedding them yet.

I've got a couple of Senderos that will shoot sub 1/2 MOA as well.

Come on over to Bodcau and I'll show ya what these POS Remingtons will do Wink

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I tell ya what, I'll make it easy for you. I have some family that has some land over in Marion, LA close to the Arkansas border in the North Central part of LA, That should only be about 50 miles for you to drive from Smackover and probably twice that for me.

They have some ROWs on their place they'll let us shoot on.

I'll throw another challenge in there for ya Big Grin, I'll be glad to do this little challenge from the tailgate of my truck.

Let me know when in Nov and we'll get us alittle shoot planned, I'm sitting on go Big Grin

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the gauntlet has been thrown on the ground--nothing like a little friendly (?) comnpetition to get the trigger finger twitching.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanksgiving week. ill be coming in from sc which is about a 12 hour drive. ill be a little road weary but that wont effect things much.
pick a 308 from your stable and well get together.