New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally bought a 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up an '06 tonite. I had one a long time ago that I lost in a house fire. It is a wood stocked Savage, looks like it has been fired about 10-20 times. It is pre accu trigger. Should be fun to fool around with, easier on the shoulder than the 300 win. I think everyone should own an '06. Will be looking for loads in the future.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chain:
I think everyone should own an '06. QUOTE]

Or ten Big Grin

Congrats and enjoy. I've always found the '06 easy to load for but, these days, another facet of the '06 that I've come to appreciate is how many inexpensive GOOD hunting loads the factories make. I just don't have as much time for reloading these days.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Z1R said. No need for anything else except a 22LR and a 12 gauge shotgun.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

I have always wanted a 30-06 Springfield, as it's just so versatile for the everyday hunter.

Enjoy,

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's 100 years old now clap.That should be a good indicator of it's usefullness. It would be a good idea to get an after market trigger for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are suppose to be really good triggers for the Savage and Stevens Sharp Shooter's Supply Click on the bar on the left side of the page.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is going to be my winter project. A new trigger and recoil lug. Maybe a stock and barrel. It should be fun to play with. Thanks for the info

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chain:
I think everyone should own an '06. QUOTE]

Or ten Big Grin

Congrats and enjoy. I've always found the '06 easy to load for but, these days, another facet of the '06 that I've come to appreciate is how many inexpensive GOOD hunting loads the factories make. I just don't have as much time for reloading these days.

Funny, I highly admire the -06, but the only calibers I own multiples of are .308 and .375H&H. As for reloading IMR 4350 or H4350 is usually a good powder to start with. Fairly easy to load for. 180 gr bullets are my weight of choice.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yes everybody should own a 30-06 i loved mine but i sold it to a friend and have not stopped kicking my self for it

still can't make up my mind on what firearm I will buy next

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hay Chain,
Everyone needs a 30-06!!
Try some RL-15 with your 150-180 grain bullets,mine love it.
Where in Michigan are you?
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 will do in the field what any other caliber will do, a 150gr. bullet at 3000 or a 220 gr. bullet at 2500 is a hard combo to beat. Then you have the ultimate, a 200 gr. bullet at 2700 FPS, it will about do it all...cotton tails to elephant have been hunted successfull with this old caliber and about every PH I know killed his first buffalo and elephant with an 06.

It may not be the best for any job, but it'll get er done.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My first centerfire bolt rifle was a .30-06.

I still have it. And an M1 Garand to boot.

I will die owning those rifles. patriot

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray- Almost every PH you know killed their first ele with an -06? I mean, I know of guys shooting buffalo with -06's and 35 whelens etc., but elephant? You must know some hard arse PH's, or some really ignant ones. Confused

First rifle I had was an -06. It is, like everyone and their dogs have already mentioned, good for anything in the lower forty eight. I've since gotten rid of the -06, and haven't ever really wanted another. I guess they seem a little snoring to me now, but if you only got one pop gun, it won't steer you wrong.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. Story is I have my 300 win that I am grooming for long range a little too much for the deer woods. Next I have a 270, son always takes that one, I have a 260 coming but that is probably going to be reserved for longer ranges also. I was thinking of 30-06 or 308 when this one came along. For 200 bucks I couldn't passit up. Doug I PM ed you

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I'm not a collector or anything but the '06 was my first rifle and I still own it... Doubt I will ever sell it... Just an excellent all around cartridge... I know you'll enjoy it...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
Ray- Almost every PH you know killed their first ele with an -06? I mean, I know of guys shooting buffalo with -06's and 35 whelens etc., but elephant? You must know some hard arse PH's, or some really ignant ones. Confused

First rifle I had was an -06. It is, like everyone and their dogs have already mentioned, good for anything in the lower forty eight. I've since gotten rid of the -06, and haven't ever really wanted another. I guess they seem a little snoring to me now, but if you only got one pop gun, it won't steer you wrong.

Elenore O'Conner killed exactly one elephant. She did it with a 30-06. Let's not forget all those killed by Bell with a 6.5 and 7x57. I am not a big fan of the 30-06 but, I know greatness when I see it.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one like I said that I lost in a house fire. It will be fun to get this one to shoot. First thing is the trigger, WOW I have been spoiled with after market triggers lately.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bsflag

Just kidding, kind of.

With regards to Bell, he wasn't shootin no -06, but I'll consent to the O'Conner reference. So, you sighted 2 examples, and one was wrong, but you said, "about every PH I know killed his first buffalo and elephant with an 06." So, either you only know one PH, and her last name starts with an O, or maybe it was a bit of an outrageous claim.

I take all that back, as I don't want to get into a fruitless arguement over semantics here. Overt hyperbole really is like a thorn in my side, and I can't help but point it out. I also don't want the new -06 owner thinking he's got a gun that can tackle eles, cape buff, and/or killer whales. I apologize for being priggish Ray, but I am right. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
bsflag

Just kidding, kind of.

With regards to Bell, he wasn't shootin no -06, but I'll consent to the O'Conner reference. So, you sighted 2 examples, and one was wrong, but you said, "about every PH I know killed his first buffalo and elephant with an 06." So, either you only know one PH, and her last name starts with an O, or maybe it was a bit of an outrageous claim.

I take all that back, as I don't want to get into a fruitless arguement over semantics here. Overt hyperbole really is like a thorn in my side, and I can't help but point it out. I also don't want the new -06 owner thinking he's got a gun that can tackle eles, cape buff, and/or killer whales. I apologize for being priggish Ray, but I am right. rotflmo

I believe it was Ray that made the statement about the PH's and the '06. Don just added his input. I don't think anyone, including Ray, is trying to suggest that the '06 is an elephant rifle. However that does not change the fact that it has been used many, many times for just that purpose. Certainly it will suffice for all NA game.

Much like the .44-40 is not generally considered a deer round. That does not change the fact that my grandfather used his to dispatch more than 150 whitetail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I owe an apology to Don. I thought that was Ray's response.

REM721- I'm not arguing that some people have probably killed eles with a 30-06. I know some people have. Back when the elephant roamed in large groups in the open grasslands more frequently, Bell and the other small cal nuts had the ability to brain elephants from good distances with less worry of getting stomped.

Today,because the elephants have been hunted so much over the past century, they are instinctively living in the jess and thicker brush and forests. Any PH would argue that hunting eles in the thick brush requires a big gun (i.e. most recommend or prefer something bigger than the .375 H&H).

Let's also not forget the Bell was the Annie Oakley of his time... he could shoot down birds in flight with his 7mm mauser. I often have trouble doing that with a 28 gauge shot gun. I might also be hunting elephants with an -06 if I shot like Bell and the elephants still spent the majority of their time in the open fields of of Bell's era.

That all aside, my point was that Ray's statement was pretty rover the top. He said that almost every PH he knows killed his first elephant and buffalo with a 30-06. I'll accept this as factual if Ray only knows, let's say 2 PH's, and that these 2 PH's happen to be the two out of a thousand that went hunting there very first time with no experience, fear in their minds, and the whopping stopping power of a 30-06. The first elephant hunt I go on, I'm either taking my 458 Lott or my 470 nitro express. If and when I get confident enough in my abilities as an ele hunter, I might, just might consider using my 9.3.

Essentially, his statement was a pretty extreme form of hyperbole, aka outrageous claim. I wasn't belittling him, I was just poking fun. I'm sure he's glad you came to his defense.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I love my .30-06. I think one of the greatest things about it is you don't have to reload for it if you dont want to. There are so many bullets and manufacturers on the market selling the -06 ammo cheap that I have kept to the factory stuff for mine.

sorry to hear about the loss of your first one, but glad to see you got another one back!

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Taking it out on Sun. Although I should get a trigger first or eat my Wheaties