New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 load advice??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently picked up a couple of 308s and am planning on reloading for them. One is a remington 788 topped with a 2-7 leupold VxII that I picked up for my wife. Before I picked up this rifle my smallest rifle was my kimber 325 wsm and it was a little too much recoil for her. I had intended on getting a 7mm-08 but run into a good deal on this 788 in 308 and its a great shooter. I tried some fed classic 180s and it shot them very well. I was hoping to load this with something she could shoot deer-moose with the same load. I'm at a loss what bullet and what gr I should shoot. I was thinking something like the 165gr partition or 168gr TSX would be solid performers on game up to moose. Those 130gr TSX would definatly make some nice low recoil loads but how would they handle moose? Just seem a little light. Whats your guys top pick for a good all around bullet for general alaskan hunting?

The second 308 was a mauser that somebody had put a in the white 18" light weight barrel on and then chopped down the military stock into roughly winchester 94 demensions. I had big plans to completly sporterize this rifle into something for my wife but found that 788 for much less than I would have had to sink into the mauser. I finished off the stock as and am having a set of XS ghose rings put on it. Will give it a good "poor mans parkerizing" with a can of ultra flat spray paint. It will then live out its days in the trunk of my car. I always like to have a rifle with me but don't like risking one of my more expensive ones leaving them in the trunk indefinatly. For this one I was thinking I would go heavy, I won't be shooting past 200 yards with it. How well does the 308 handle 180-200s, even 220s? I can't imagine squeaking too much velosity out of that short 18" barrel. Maybe a heavy RN that will open up at the lower velosities? I have plenty of magazine room so COL won't be that big a concern, that might free up a bit of internal capacity.

Lastly a guy I work with also shoots the 308 but only uses it for long range paper punching. He has offered to buy the dies, brass, and bullets if I will reload some for him as well. I was thinking the sierra 168gr matchking or 168gr Amax or 168 match BTHP would be good for paper punching.

thanks in advance.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Go with 150 IB with about 45.5grs RE15 and 9 1/2 primers, Rem or Win brass, Ive loaded 42grs RE15 with the 168MK in my rem 308, same components as above. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WW748, H380, and Varget all shoot well in mine and the other 2 I load for with bullets ranging from 150 to 165 grains.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
before i set up to reload for target shooting i would try some factory gold match and see if the rifle has the accuracy potential thats gonna justify the use of expensive reloads.
if it turns out to be a great hunting rifle but a so-so grouper then i'd stick w/ some less expensive FMJ's to practice with.
I shoot Hornady 165 BTSP over 41.5 gr H4895 in my short BBL 308's. i can always see the deers reaction when hit. the load is mild recoil wise but put them down.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .308 shoots W-748 and IMR 4064 well.
Most seem to like RL-15 and Varget.
The .308 is a great round. Any game bullet 150 and up will do for deer.
If I were to take a .308 after bigger game, I would probably start with the 168 grain Tripple shock.
If that did,nt shoot well, then a nosler partition 165 or 180 grain, no 200s for me.
Hornady makes round nose bullets for your peep sighted rifle.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have had really good luck with varget in my .308. if you are going to start on paper,try 125 gr nosler bal tips and 49.5gr of varget. i feel sure that this load will be a confidence booster for your wife.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
With the 165-168 grain bullets my 308 (Rem 788) likes IMR4064

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I used a 165 barnes x boattail at 2600 for a moose. 44 grain 4064 in rem BR cases.
Worked just fine.

Shot a nice black bear with 180 rem core lokt factory ammo too.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle shoots 180's well, use 180gr bullets. The recoil is a function of the bullet weight multiplied by the sqare of the velocity in simple terms. Even though the 180 weighs more, it will penetrate better at lower velocities than either the 165 or 150 gr bullets. (I know every one is going to tell us how their 165 or 150 gr bullets shoot thru and thru, but trust me, a 180 will go through more elk or moose than a 165 or 150 will when started at a lower than max for bullet wt velocity.)

As long as she is not over two hundred yards away, you can tailor a load just for her. Most 180 grain bullets will perform well down to around 1900fps. Go with 180's at a velocity of 2450 or so and see what happens. I think you will be pleased at the absence of recoil. Kudude

PS: Make sure that the stock fits her well and have her use muffs plus plugs. Most recoil is the noise. k-d

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tb78,
if your going to shoot factory federal premiums
barnes tsx are top dog,150,165,168,180.
they also load ttbc165,180, very good,and partitions 165,180.
ifin you reload.....varget,h-4895 , imr 4895, imr4064, and reloader 15 are all awesome,as stated above, reloading is your cheapest bet all round. bonded bullets are very good also,150,165,180,hornadys interbond,noslers accubond,and swifts a-frame and scirocco.
i think a 150 tsx would easily out penatrate a normal 180 grain bullet,
regards and good luck.

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote