THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    French Walnut M70's on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French Walnut M70's on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
https://www.sportsmans.com/sho...ester-24in/p/1641595

They have 270, 30-06, 300, 7mm and 6.5 CM.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it'd sure be a sweet little rifle in 300 H&H.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are 300 Winchesters.

I was thinking about a 270.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice walnut, probably not French as the real French walnut market was fleeced many years ago by the furniture companies is susposed to be common knowledge...Id say its probably Turkish by looking at the picture as it does haved a French orange hew color..???????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
These rifles have well-made and well-dimensioned gunstocks (even though I would prefer a bit longer LOP).

I very much like the figure in the buttstock, the fleur-de-lis checkering pattern, and also the ebony fore end tip, shadow lined cheek piece, steel grip cap and recessed sling swivel studs.

Tasteful and classy.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I don't end up moving back overseas in the next couple of years I think I am going to collect a few M70's.

I have not owned one in a long time.

The last two I owned were a Portuguese M70 in 375 (wonderful rifle).

And a shit show 70 Super Grade from the New Haven days that David Miller supposedly designed in 300 Win. Looked like it was inletted with a dull Chinese chainsaw.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles.
French walnut means just that is is Juglans Regia; everyone calls it something different. It has several names.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle! I've never had much desire for one but this one might change my mind.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'd love to pick one up but Winchester has stopped making lefties.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Nice walnut, probably not French as the real French walnut market was fleeced many years ago by the furniture companies is susposed to be common knowledge...Id say its probably Turkish by looking at the picture as it does haved a French orange hew color..???????

It's all the same walnut species--Juglans Regia--whether we call it English, French, Circassian, Turkish, or Persian.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course it is!! BUT walnut is geographical, True soft shell French walnut the very best walnut ever IMO, come from the Rhine river of Germany and was fleeced by furniture makers in the 1930s and 140s and into the 1950 perhaps, that wood was lighter in weight and harder than most. WE have California English ditchbank walnut, Turkish walnut is stolen Russian Walnut these days adn the best today I suppose..Its identified by its location to simplify identification, but there is a difference and its the climate, cold and heat that makes one better than the other, the harsher climes and older trees, have the best stock blanks..so pick the weather before you accept the name. Some of that wood can be referred to as cork wood like our hard shell stuff. Today claims of French walnut is just criminal imo..just a sales gimmick for suckers. A great gunsmith once said one custom smith in a thousand knows shit about wood..I know that applies to most custom stock buyers..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, It is hard shell walnut. Other than that, spot on.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My apologies, hard and soft shell do exist. I have always been under the impression that the best of the best was hard shell or thin shell walnut.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Super Grade is a gorgeous rifle.

But if were in the market for another .270 Win, I'd buy this: https://www.eurooptic.com/sako...270-win-jrscl18.aspx

I have a SAKO AV .270 that'll print .25" groups.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KDA,
Lets use better termanowlgy and call it thin shell and thick shell, thin shell being French, Turkish, Russian and and thick shell being American black walnut, then we have Claro, Bastogne etc. thanks for the heads up, I get careless from time to time. California ditch bank walnut is popular with a lot of folks, its an intermediate wood IMO. Most of this walnut is pretty and judged only on that basis by a lot of folks. Marble cake being the total judgement, and thats a big mistake on a hunting rifle and created the birth of plastic! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got that right Ray!. Soulless plastic. Can't be one with nature with a piece of plastic in my hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They look nice on screen, but I would definitely check it in person before buying.

Not that many years ago I handled a brand new "Safari Grade" M-70 in one of the short magnums. The loading gate mortise had been cut for a full length action and extended halfway along the front ring, and the fore-end and grip checkering diamonds were at completely different angles.

Other than that it was a nice rifle!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote