New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ Model 3, What Went Wrong?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was at the local shop the other day and they had a NIB CZ Model 3 in 300WSM. This rifle is not like any of the CZ's I own. The action and safety seem more like a Win M70 than a CZ.
I know the Model 3's have been discontinued. So what's the scoop on these rifles and why were they discontinued? Are they a POS, poor accuracy, feeding problems or what?

Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
in 300WSM

I wondered if the choice of chamberings might have had something to do with it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wondered if the choice of chamberings might have had something to do with it.

Possible, but I doubt it. The local shop around here sells more 300WSM's than any other caliber. It seems that the 270 and 300WSM's are quite popular and will be for a long time. Of course the 7MM Short Mag is on it's way out.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if memory serves me right, the model 3 is actually a montana action that cz used to get in on the wsm craze instead of altering something that they already produced. my guess is not enough units sold so the beancounters said it had to go

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
I was at the local shop the other day and they had a NIB CZ Model 3 in 300WSM. This rifle is not like any of the CZ's I own. The action and safety seem more like a Win M70 than a CZ.
I know the Model 3's have been discontinued. So what's the scoop on these rifles and why were they discontinued? Are they a POS, poor accuracy, feeding problems or what?

Thanks

This was the MRC action. CZ used them for the WSM line, it was short lived.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
While the CZ Model 3 wasn't commercially successful, there is nothing wrong with them at all. The MRC action is solid and their barrels have a good reputaion. If the price is right don't be afraid of the quality. But don't expect a good resale value either; they just aren't well known enough.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By using the existing American made action, CZ was able to produce and market WSM chambered rifles much faster than building something from scratch and getting it approved by ATF for import.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
The decision was made by MRC. These rifles were being sold for $800-$900 dollars. MRC sells there own barreled actions for over a grand. They insisted CZ raise their prices and CZ-USA refused. So the partnership was ended. I own a Model 3 in 300 wsm myself and it is a fine rifle.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote