Find
Notify
Tools

.30 Herrett rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
......just a vague thought here after seeing a cheap set of Herrett dies for sale, has anyone ever done a rifle, for instance a Martini Cadet or similar, in .30 Herrett ??........I will probably buy the dies anyway to form my 7mm Herrett cases for the Martini, but just curious Cool

Roger

.......If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it, I wasn't sure.

Posts: 1036 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yuma, I'm sure there have been a number of rifles chambered for the Herrett. Might PM Bobby Tomek. I have a 12-inch Contender barrel in this great old wildcat on order from Match Grade Machine.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16411 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
As I remember the 30 Herrett was designed for the TC Contender handgun. For accuracy it needed a slightly over-sided cartridge length and a snap action fit. That was a long time ago though.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Had a longer barreled contender. In the Late 70s early 80s. Made short work of some WTX whitetail. Traded for the 35. Wish I hadn't.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony Rumore (I think he a member here) redid an AK in 357 Herrett I believe

I think the write up is in he Wildcats section.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1059 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, Mick, if the case needs a " crush " fit, then that would most likely work in the Martini action....I'm always looking for something different and interesting to put in my little Martini Cadets.......a little stalking rifle style stock on a Martini in .30 Herrett with a 20" barrel, sort of a miniature english style....mmmmm

Roger

Posts: 1036 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it will work just find in a cadet action. 30/30 case is about max with the rim for it, but things like a 219 donaldson etc. work well in martinis

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The crush fit thing is a Contender problem. The small differences from one frame to another combined with one barrel to another would allow the cartridge to get pushed forward in the chamber and a lot of mis-fires would occur.

The easy cure was to size un-fire formed brass so it took a little force to chamber the round and headspace it on the shoulder. Once fire formed, you backed the sizing die off a half turn or so to keep that snug fit and maintain headspace to the shoulder, not the rim.

I've got 10" and 12" .30 Herrett barrels. Always thought about getting or making a 21" carbine barrel as well, but never did. Great cartridge.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
How bout a Low Wall in 30 Herrett

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Low wall, Martini Cadet, Rolling block, any small single shot action would do, would make a nice light stalking/backpack rifle.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....like these?

Roger

Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post
added a 7" vented extension, threaded and pinned, with custom furniture for carbine use

think twice, shoot once

Posts: 21 | Location: Ridgelines of the Roanoke Valley | Registered: 22 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30 Herrett has been chambered in ARs under several different names for many years. All used standard Herrett dies and the 6.8 spc case, as far as I can remember anyway. The first I recall was by Marty Ter Weeme, but several others have made slight variations on the concept.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That is some stunning wood, Jimmy. What species?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16411 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill, sorry I've taken so long to reply.
It's shaped from a slab of burly maple
I had been perplexed by a design I'd seen on the internet for years and finally resigned myself to duplicate it.

I'm no master but I get better each time I embark on a new project

think twice, shoot once

Posts: 21 | Location: Ridgelines of the Roanoke Valley | Registered: 22 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that a guy named Steelsmith that worked for Herretts designed the Contender. Ray Atkinson,living in Twin Falls might be able to dispute or confirm this. ( I think Ray might actually live in Filer as did Steelsmith)

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get down to the skinny on that one.
I thought that the Herrett designs came into play AFTER they figured out that factory ammo wouldn't give expected results in 10" barrels. Enter Bob Milek and Steve Herrett for development.
I love the wildcats with this little break-action.
My latest acquisition: a Reeder barrel in 30 Raptor that uses 204 Ruger brass and accommodates a .308 bullet. It's an interesting proposition like a 30 TCU+P. Love to hear more of the Steelsmith story.
Thanks

Seems that Jack Cahill Steelsmith, Sr. passed away June 26, 2018 and was instrumental with Steve Herrett.
https://www.mountainhomenews.com/story/2535994.html
He must have been a helluva guy! Thanks

think twice, shoot once

one of us
posted Hide Post
The late Tony Barnes and Bob Milek were instrmental in the development of the first 30 Herret, to what extent Im not sure but they were good frinds with Steve Herret..We all hunted Rockchucks and Tony shot deer with the caliber...

Tony made the most beautiful pistols on Sako L-461 actions in that caliber and others, and Steve and Milek used his pistols..

We are going back some 30 to 40 years and as for as I know, Im the last survior of that Particular bunch of the lunch crowd. We met almost daily at one place or another for lunch and gun talk...

I would suggest contacting steves son in twin falls at Herrets stocks for further information, but I have not seen him in quitw some time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote