Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Express 338 Win.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted
Looks like I have a Ruger Express 338 coming.
I’ve had a couple Magnum Rugers - 416s - but not one of the standard 77 action express rifles.
IMO, this is what the Hawkeye African should have been all along, even if Ruger had used the screw-on quarter rib of the No.1s.

Any other owners out there with insight as to scoping and loading for this rifle?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had several, in 270, 30-06, 300 WM, 375, 416 and 458 Lott. They're classy rifles. Look for a gloss Leupold to match the bright blue metalwork.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several months ago at a gun show , I stumbled upon a Ruger Express in 30-06. I bought it pretty damn quick.
I have only seen a small handful of these in person. I have not shot it yet, but love the looks of it.

Edit to add:
I believe this is a very early production. It is a Mark II, but a push feed one. I am debating on having the bolt machined to CFR. I am Undecided on that move.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that I will be going with Alaska Arms rings for my 30-06.

quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
I’ve had a couple Magnum Rugers - 416s - but not one of the standard 77 action express rifles.
IMO, this is what the Hawkeye African should have been all along, even if Ruger had used the screw-on quarter rib of the No.1s.

Any other owners out there with insight as to scoping and loading for this rifle?

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Excellent score! I've only ever personally laid eyes on about three of the Express rifles. They were the true compliment to the Magnum guns. You'll have to post pictures for us to drool over when it arrives.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a Ruger M77 Express in 338 Win Mag. for a while. I sold it on this forum a few years ago.

The Ruger Express model and the Magnum model were an outstanding attempt by Ruger to replicate a best quality British big game rifle. Within the constraints of having to make them a production model based on the existing M77 MKII action and stock design, I don't think they could have done much better. They were far nicer than the current African models.

The integral quarter rib was fantastic!! As well done as anything ever put on a factory rifle. I always really liked the way the top of the quarter rib was nicely matted and flowed perfectly uninterrupted into the front scope base. The folding two leaf rear sights were also very well done, and a major upgrade from the little folding rear sight on standard models. The barrel band sling swivel and banded front sight were standard production items but better fitted and polished (at least on the one I owned).

The wood on my rifle, and others that I have seen, was also upgraded and had better figure compared to the standard production rifles. The blued bolt handle was another touch that looked much better to my eyes.

The Express model was a rare item and deserves much more valuable status than it gets. I have seen several of these rifles buggered up in one way or another. One example was a 30-06 rebored to a 9.3x62...why?? Took a rare model and permanently devalued it. The worst example was one I saw that had the integral quarter rib drilled and cut to mount a foreward "scout" type scope....why?? You could take a standard M77 and mount a regular ol' quarter rib from a No.1 and have a scout rifle easy and cheap. If you like to tinker or alter your guns, that's fine, I do too....but don't buy rare and collectable models to modify. Sorry for the rant. That's partly why I sold mine.

The 338 I owned never even wore a scope. I always felt like the scope rings and a scope would cover up the nicely done matting on the action bridges and quarter rib. So I replaced the front sight bead with a larger diameter bead that was easier to see. Then I worked up a load with 250gr. bullets that shot well with the open sights. It was very accurate with Hornady 250grs. My plan was to use it as an open sight rifle on a Kentucky Elk Hunt (If I got a Tag) and on a Black Bear hunt.

I sold my .338 Express rifle to finance a custom rifle project before I ever got the chance to shoot anything with it. I still admire the Express model and Magnum model whenever I see one. I hope whoever owns mine nowadays still enjoys it.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Ruger Express rifles. I started collecting them right away when they came out in the early 90s. I think they are the best rifles Ruger ever made.

I have the full run of calibers: 25-06, 270 Win., 7mm RM, 30-06, 300WM, & 338WM, and multiple rifles of each caliber. I bought most of them in the beginning in the $700-$800 range. Then they crept up to about $1,000. Eventually rose to $1,200, and I paid $1,400 for my last one in 30-06 a couple of years ago. I see them selling now for $2,000-$2,500 in some ads.

I have used the 25-06 extensively for Antelope hunting here in CO & Wy. My wife has used hers also for the same. She has used her 7mmRM a couple of times for Elk in CO.

We have taken them to Africa for PG and so far we have used the 25-06, 7mmRM, 30-06 & 338WM there.

Great little rifles. And they were 'little' (about 7 1/2 lbs.) compared to the RSMs. I own a number of RSMs as well in 375 H&H, 416Rigby & 458Lott. I've used them in Africa as well, except for the 416. They have accounted for Lion & Buffalo.

These were super rifles for the price. Great wood, beautifully made, with all the safari rifle bells & whistles. Bill Ruger always had great ideas. Too bad he's gone.

Congrats on your find of the 338WM! It's a treasure.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to a Ruger collector years and years ago at the Tulsa gun show. He had a special love for the Express model. He had kept a collection of serial numbers, and had spoken with folks at Ruger on production numbers.

His info was approximately :
500 made in 270
500 made in 30-06
300 made in 7mm Mag
300 made in 300 Win Mag
250 made in 338 Win Mag
The 25-06.....you can count them on one hand!

This was just the info he passed along to me and may or may not be correct. He was a member of the Ruger collectors association and had an impressive display. So I will believe him until someone proves him wrong.

Read my post above. The number of these that have probably been buggered or tinkered with over the years reduces the number of original examples left!

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose its mostly a collecters gun these days..

The advent of the Ruger African is the best of Ruger rifles and the best thing to come along since the pre 64 mod 70 IMO.

I have a 2008 Ruger 77 in 375 Ruger, made only in that year for whatever reason, its 7.5 lbs. and 8.5 with a scope and loaded, has barrel band swivel and sights, mod. 70 type safety and its about right for me..Its one of the nicest Rugers Ive seen, I have only see two of these, mine and the one in Rugers collection for $2000 plus for sale in GI. Im sure there are more, just don't see them for sale it seems..

I suppose its a pre ?, the origin of the Ruger African..of interest is it points equally well with irons or scope for me, and that I really like..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for one in 30-06 for quite some time with no luck. Maybe one day!!

"The 25-06.....you can count them on one hand!"

Unless I am forgetting, a member here owns most of those 25-06's.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The low production numbers, have me thinking that I will not be modifying mine. It is pretty much a Sunday-go-to-meeting rifle for me anyways.

The Ruger Express rifles are one of the best looking factory rifles that I have seen. Highly likely my favorite.

To my eyes the only other factory rifle, that has close to the same appeal is the Browning FN long extractor High Power Safari Grades.

quote:
Originally posted by K W Johnston:
I spoke to a Ruger collector years and years ago at the Tulsa gun show. He had a special love for the Express model. He had kept a collection of serial numbers, and had spoken with folks at Ruger on production numbers.

His info was approximately :
500 made in 270
500 made in 30-06
300 made in 7mm Mag
300 made in 300 Win Mag
250 made in 338 Win Mag
The 25-06.....you can count them on one hand!

This was just the info he passed along to me and may or may not be correct. He was a member of the Ruger collectors association and and and impressive display. So I will believe him until someone proves him wrong.

Read my post above. The number of these that have probably been buggered or tinkered with over the years reduces the number of original examples left!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
I've been looking for one in 30-06 for quite some time with no luck. Maybe one day!!

I own (4) of these 25-06s, well (3) and my wife owns (1).

I really don't know how many were made, but I bought these from a man who knew a Ruger employee who had found them tucked far away in a Ruger warehouse. He bought (6) which may have been the entire production (?). He kept two, one for himself and one for his son. I bought the rest.

It was speculated by the man who found them in the warehouse way back then that (8) were made. I have no idea of the validity of that statement.

They were never mentioned in all of the literature and brochures that came out back in the 90s decade when they were made and advertised, so it's usually a surprise to Ruger collectors when they learn of the 'mysterious' 25.06 Expresses. My wife and I hunt with two, and the other two have never been fired.

We love them!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
K.W.,

Thanks for the info on the production numbers of the various calibers. Interesting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

These rifles most definitely are under rated. I believe that is partly because so many are unaware of them and have never seen one or got to examine one. I have been lucky enough to own a 7 mm Mag and it shots like a laser, looks terrific and is in my opinion amount the finest of production rifles and was a great shooter on my first African safari many years ago. Hey are most definitely under valued.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a collection of Ruger catalogs from the 90's. I think I have every year that the Express was a regular cataloged item. Production was less than 10yrs. So those production numbers I quoted above were spread out over an 8 or 9 year period. That equals out to very few made per year. The production numbers were given to me by what I belive to be a knowledgeable source. Still I have to repeat this quote I heard somewhere..

"I cannot say what the truth may be, I can only tell the tale as was told to me".

One more thing... The 25-06 was never listed in the catalogs. The knowledgeable source I mentioned said they were ordered by and made for Ruger employees by special request

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RSM Magnum rifle continued on for a lot longer than the Express model. Ruger found out that what few buyers who were willing to pay a premium for the cost of an Express rifle also preferred the more impressive chamberings of the Magnum model. Or put another way... A buyer walks into a gunshop and sees an Express model 270 and a Magnum model 375 H&H on the rack. Both are much more expensive than a standard rifle. So he naturally figures he is getting more for his money by getting the 375 than a regular ol' 270.

Not me...I think the 338 is the best of the bunch! The 30-06 is a close 2nd.

So competition from the RSM magnum was one of the factors that lead to discontinuing the Express model. Ruger as a company has evolved too. It has gone where the market leads. Always giving buyers what they want. Right now it's plastic stuff. The Express and RSM will never be made again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

For a two rifle battery, one could do a lot worse than a 416Rigby RSM & 338WM Express!

For scoping, my preference has been either a 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 Leupolds for the Express, and open sights for the 40+ calibers. As I turned 70, I just mounted a Leupold FXII 2.5 fixed on a Dakota 404 Jeffery and really like it. I bought two more of these scopes and plan to mount them on my 416 Dakotas and RSMs.

Good luck on your scope choices and your hunts with that 338WM Express. It is a fantastic African caliber and can take ALL PG, plus DG if it were legal, with the right bullets. I've taken more African game with my 338WMs, than the other (8) calibers I have used there. Enjoy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The RSM Magnum rifle continued on for a lot longer than the Express model. Ruger found out that what few buyers who were willing to pay a premium for the cost of an Express rifle also preferred the more impressive chamberings of the Magnum model. Or put another way... A buyer walks into a gunshop and sees an Express model 270 and a Magnum model 375 H&H on the rack. Both are much more expensive than a standard rifle. So he naturally figures he is getting more for his money by getting the 375 than a regular ol' 270.

Not me...I think the 338 is the best of the bunch! The 30-06 is a close 2nd.

So competition from the RSM magnum was one of the factors that lead to discontinuing the Express model. Ruger as a company has evolved too. It has gone where the market leads. Always giving buyers what they want. Right now it's plastic stuff. The Express and RSM will never be made again!

tu2I had an RSM in.416 Rigby. It had a beautiful stock and a real tack driver. Wish I had kept it!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The two Ruger 416s I’ve had I sold off.
Not to knock the Rugers, as they are modern factory rifles, but they are very utilitarian rifles.
As a modern and much less expensive alternative to a genuine Magnum Mauser, they fit the bill quite nicely, maybe even better than the CZs but I haven’t owned one of those.
The only two vintage 416s I’ve owned are both by Mahillon from Belgium.
My first was a pre-war square bridge magnum Mauser. Fantastic rifle even if a bit fat in the forend and the bolt knob rested tight against the stock which I found a bit odd on a dangerous game rifle.
The other Mahillon is on an FN action - standard length - which Steve Bertram is selling for me.
Honestly, if it doesn’t sell, I won’t care one bit. It is an excellent rifle and if Selby could live with a 416 on a standard action, so can I.

This 338 Express rifle is one that I’m really looking forward to.
Dies and brass arrived today so once it’s here, I’ll be off to the range to see what I think.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope to see pics of your 338 Express...

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
This discussion has gotten me interested in one of these rifles,what's a reasonable price to pay for one in 338 WM? how much would it weigh & the safety is not on the tang correct?thank for the assistance.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw some photos of the .338WM Express rifle, and I have no idea what's going on since mine looks identical to the one on the photos, and is a .338 African model that was built about 12-14 years ago.
https://www.africahunting.com/...s-338-win-mag.11944/

This (mine, not the one in the photo) .338WM African model looks exactly like the one in the photos. It has the same sights, and a 22" or so barrel.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, the Express rifles have a 24” barrel which has an integral quarter rib.
The Africans have an island sight, correct?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:

I really don't know how many were made, but I bought these from a man who knew a Ruger employee who had found them tucked far away in a Ruger warehouse. He bought (6) which may have been the entire production (?). He kept two, one for himself and one for his son. I bought the rest.

It was speculated by the man who found them in the warehouse way back then that (8) were made. I have no idea of the validity of that statement.

They were never mentioned in all of the literature and brochures that came out back in the 90s decade when they were made and advertised, so it's usually a surprise to Ruger collectors when they learn of the 'mysterious' 25.06 Expresses. My wife and I hunt with two, and the other two have never been fired.

We love them!

Surefire,

It was you that I was thinking of.

If you ever decide to part with a Express 30-06, let me know.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger Express rifles chambered in 270 and 30-06 have 22" barrels, while the 7mm Mag, 300 win mag, 338 win mag and 25-06 have 24" barrels.

The Express model made in the 90's feature an integral quarter rib with 1 standing and 1 folding rear sight blade. The African models made more recently have a screwed on island rear sight base with 1 standing rear sight blade.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:

We love them!

Surefire,

It was you that I was thinking of.

If you ever decide to part with a Express 30-06, let me know.

cj,

Will do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Ruger Express rifles chambered in 270 and 30-06 have 22" barrels, while the 7mm Mag, 300 win mag, 338 win mag and 25-06 have 24" barrels.

The Express model made in the 90's feature an integral quarter rib with 1 standing and 1 folding rear sight blade. The African models made more recently have a screwed on island rear sight base with 1 standing rear sight blade.

All barrel lengths you mentioned are correct except for the 25-06. Like the other two non-magnums (270 & 30.06), it too has a 22" barrel. At least my four do anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I know, the Express rifles have a 24” barrel which has an integral quarter rib.
The Africans have an island sight, correct?

The one I have (African) has express sights, and no muzzle brake. Just like the one below:
https://www.ruger.com/products...eAfrican/models.html

I haven't measured the barrel, but it is possible that it is 22"-23" long. I put the walnut stock away, and replaced it with a McMillan that was fitted to my trigger pull.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surefire7, my mistake about the 25-06 barrel length. I assumed because the regular M77 MKII had a 24" barrel for 25-06 that the Express model would be the same.

Like I've said before, the 25-06 is so rare its takes someone who actually owns one to actually confirm details like that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RSM was cataloged with 23 inch barrels.

The Express was cataloged with a 22 inch barrel. 22 inch barrels are a sun to me.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are mine, a 375 RSM and an Express 30-06. They are my go to fair weather guns. I've only ever loaded 220 Hornadys and 220 partitions in the 06 because they work well and fit the express rifle theme. Two brown bears, a bison, moose and a few other critters to their credit so far. They're my favorite bolt guns.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles and talley of game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OB,

A really nice 2-rifle battery there, in beautiful rifles. Congrats! You are ready to go on any African safari.

I liked mine so well, I added a 458 Lott to those two for a 3-rifle African battery, and took a couple of Buffalo with the open sighted Lott.

Then, I just kept going and collecting all of the Expresses and RSMs.

There are three iterations of the RSMs. The first ones had 24" heavy contour barrels and the front barrel band swivel was buried inside the wooden forearm. It weighed about 10.5 lbs.

The second iteration moved the front barrel band swivel out of the wood and onto just the the steel barrel like most DG rifles, but still kept the heavy long barrel.

The third and final iteration shortened the barrel to 23" and with a smaller contour, which reduced the RSM to 9.5 lbs. These third iterations are the ones that I collect and hunt with in Africa, if not using my Dakotas or AHRs.

I think sometimes persons confuse the old Express rifles with the newer Africans. I own a number of the new Africans and really love them, especially the Lipsey's special runs which so far have been made in 275 Rigby, 6.5x55, 9.3x62 and 280AI. I also bought the regular Ruger Africans in 375 Ruger. Mine had no muzzle break, and a barrel band front sling swivels. Really great rifles (7.75 lbs.)

But the Express rifles were better. MUCH better wood, blued bolts, and integral quarter ribs (instead of island sights on the African). Of course, the RSMs had the same features, but were heavier and bigger due to their chamberings in 375, 416 & 458.

Again, IMHO, Ruger's finest efforts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the informative history on the RSM. I knew that they had changed the barrel length, but was not up on the other changes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldmay375:
Thanks for the informative history on the RSM. I knew that they had changed the barrel length, but was not up on the other changes.

You're welcome! It was interesting and great to watch Ruger improve the RSM over the 90s decade.

Too bad they are a footnote in history now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At times I regret not purchasing one of the 23” RSMs. I am happy to have finally stumbled upon Express Rifle in 30-06. Perhaps one day I might see an Express Rifle in 338 Winchester, when I am willing to pony up the cash.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your quest!

They are fun rifles to collect, hunt and shoot. beer

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Picked her up yesterday.
Overall, a pretty nice rifle. Good feel to it. Much better than the magnum Rugers I had.
A couple little things need attention - needs a sling eye for the stock (have a take-off No.1 stock with one so will use that - is that the same on both rifles Surefire?), a bit of clear applied to the forend tip where a sling has presumably rubbed it off.
The pad is a Kick-eeze which will be pleasant even if not original.
The bore looked terrible but cleaned up quite nicely and looks as new now so that was a relief!

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
This discussion has gotten me interested in one of these rifles,what's a reasonable price to pay for one in 338 WM? how much would it weigh & the safety is not on the tang correct?thank for the assistance.

My 338 weighs 8lb, 5.2oz with no rings.
The safety is on the right side of the bolt shroud.
I do not really know what one would expect to pay for one as they just don't pop up that often.
My auction searches have found a few from 7-8yrs ago in the $1200-1500 range - don't recall if any were 338s though.
I'd think that one on the market today would be over $2K.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picked her up yesterday.
Overall, a pretty nice rifle. Good feel to it. Much better than the magnum Rugers I had.
A couple little things need attention - needs a sling eye for the stock (have a take-off No.1 stock with one so will use that - is that the same on both rifles Surefire?), a bit of clear applied to the forend tip where a sling has presumably rubbed it off.
The pad is a Kick-eeze which will be pleasant even if not original.
The bore looked terrible but cleaned up quite nicely and looks as new now so that was a relief!

Thanks for the pics Huvius! You got a nice one there it looks like. Congrats.

Sorry, but I didn't understand your question on the front eye sling/fore end.