THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Thoughts solicited on the .303 British in a double rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts solicited on the .303 British in a double rifle
 Login/Join

Picture of 450/400NE
posted
What weight bullet would you choose, 180 vs 215 grain, if you were building a double rifle in caliber .303 British for use on pigs,deer on up to elk-sized animals at ranges up to 150 yards?

Posts: 20 | Location: McAllen, TX | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcorn 180 grain non premium bullet seems balanced for that game and distance. The idea of having a side by side dual .303 Brit is exciting.What barrel length are you thinking and how will you mount the scout style scope? Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree... a very cool idea. I have a 9.3x74r chapuis that I intend to use for basically the same things you mentioned. I am in the process of putting on a scope, vxIII 1X4 leupold, and am hoping I won't have to reregulate it.

I hate to be redundant, but make sure they regulate your rifle with your scope on it. It can and will be a pain in the ass if you don't do it ahead of time. You might also consider having them regulate it out to 100 yards as opposed to 50, especially if you are going to elk hunt with it. thumb

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180 grains! You coult make this a VERY handy, small, lightweight piece!

Posts: 75 | Location: Antwerp, Flanders | Registered: 13 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of 450/400NE
posted Hide Post
24 or 26 inch barrels depending on weight and balance issues. Scope attachment will likely be via Talleys to a quarter rib in a conventional, non-scout, arrangement.
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
popcorn 180 grain non premium bullet seems balanced for that game and distance. The idea of having a side by side dual .303 Brit is exciting.What barrel length are you thinking and how will you mount the scout style scope? Eekerroger

Posts: 20 | Location: McAllen, TX | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 215 gr roundnose would be the classic choice but that would leave you with no choice but to handload (and I don't mean to say that like it's a bad thing) so I suppose a fella really ought to zero it for factory 180s...