THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What was the best buy you've ever made on a hunting rifle?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was the best buy you've ever made on a hunting rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Beretta682E
posted Hide Post
My Left handed Blaser k95. I already had a 6.5 barrel stock piled. Have added 308 30/06 and a 270.

I have been trying to get blaser to make me another one with no luck.

They had 2 wood pieces. I should have ordered two rifles.

Mike

Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.

Bernard Baruch

Posts: 10887 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Picked up a Les Weberneck Rifle Inc. lightweight 270 Win. built on a Rem 700 ADL action at an auction for $750. Since I already had a .270 I foolishly sold it at a much higher price. I regret selling that rifle.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1983 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25 years ago, brand new Sako AV Classic 7MM Rem Mag: $570. Store was going out of business. That rifle will shoot well under .5" all day long.

Posts: 132 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CG M96 6.5 Swede. 99% with SA stamp. 2001, $79 at Roses. One sold on GB recently at over $3,000.

Posts: 2492 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Frank Wells custom 416 Remington with banded sight and quarter rib, built on a Whitworth Mauser action. Slicker than any Mauser I have handled. Two-position Winchester style safety. Custom bolt handle and Talley Bases and lever rings. Drop box magazine with a straddle floorplate holds 4+1. Gorgeous high-figured English walnut hand-made stock in Frank’s British Express rifle style. Ebony tip, steel cap, lots of sharp checkering.

I paid $1600 shipped...about a year ago. I went out and bought a lottery ticket after that. Big Grin

I bought a first year production Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag for $300 (four digit serial) and a first year production model 53 Winchester in 25-20 with a beautiful bore (and a three-digit serial!) for $700 in the past 6 months. I’ve had a pretty good year!

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 448 | Location: Austin, Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
25 years ago, brand new Sako AV Classic 7MM Rem Mag: $570. Store was going out of business. That rifle will shoot well under .5" all day long.
I bought the same rifle from Dave Cook's Sports Castle in '93. I think I paid 599.00. Mine also shoots, and what timber!( Impulse buy when I saw it.)

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 325 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought the same rifle from Dave Cook's Sports Castle in '93.

Ahhhh...
The Sports Castle

As a point of interest to gents here, the Sports Castle was more or less right across Broadway from Jonas Brothers - the world renowned taxidermy and fur company - in Denver Colorado.

To the OP, I guess my best buy (recently anyway)on a hunting rifle would be my Mahillon 9.3X62. Paid about $600 for that rifle and although its a bit rough around the edges, has a great bore and shoots beautifully.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Not the greatest gun deal I’ve made, but too good to pass up. A couple weeks ago I went into a small shop looking for reloading dies. As I was walking toward the door I noticed an “as new” New Haven, Winchester Stainless Classic in 30-06, with a new Leupy VX Freedom 3-9 in Seekins Precision rings sitting in the used rack. $599 Also came with a sling and Hornady ammo. Didn’t need it, didn’t want to leave it for someone else.

I have found a lot of sweet fun deals, but beautiful, $200 S&W 627-0, with pristine factory combats, takes the cake.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 3257 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou, it's been awhile!

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 325 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoWyo:
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
I bought the same rifle from Dave Cook's Sports Castle in '93. I think I paid 599.00. Mine also shoots, and what timber!( Impulse buy when I saw it.)

Sako AV is one heck of a superb action.

Posts: 132 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted Hide Post
I reckon my latest Winchester M70 in .338WM was probably my best buy to date.

It is a Winchester M70 CRF, SM (synthetic matte)in .338WM and it has hardly a mark on it.

The bolt-face and barrel are pristine and even the jewlelling on the bolt still looks new.

It has a 26" Magnaported barrel and came with Leupold rings and base.

I paid $800 delivered for it, which considering the condition it was in, I thought was a steal.

Cheers,

Russ

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 153 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, that sounds like a good deal, Russ. I suspect the barrel is a fraction long for sambar hunting but were you to cut off the Magnaported bit you might still have 24 inches, which is enough unless massive charges of the slowest-burning powders are used.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh hell:

In 1958 when I was 14, paid $15 for a 1917 Enfield Eddystone, still have it now as .300 Win. Burned the barrel up til it scared me to look at it with a borescope, new barrel not been fired yet.

In '72 at the Frankfurt gun club: Sako Finnbear L61 7mmag $165, books now at $1100. Sako L461 .222mag $105. Wore the barrel out and now a .223.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV, RMEF

George L. Dwight

Posts: 4800 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote