THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Blaser R93 changing system inside stocks from Offroad to Professional

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser R93 changing system inside stocks from Offroad to Professional
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted
Hi guys - I have been offered a NIB R93 Professional stock - to be clear - the stock is bare plastic/rubber - without system (trigger, rails, barrel locking nuts....):

Now

I have a complete Offroad stock with system included like this one:

I would like to know - is it possible to take the system from my Offroad stock and install it in the Professional one without damaging either?

Posts: 2026 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have Phil at KDF do it for you. On one of my R93 Pro stcoks, he removed the action components, sent the stock out for camo dipping, then reassembled it when done. They're at (830) 379-8141.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mouse

Since you are in Europe, I would contact Blaser directly and ask them how to do it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I missed that! Yes, perhaps Blaser in Isny can do it, or recommend a service center.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Tho - I am mainly interested if "thing" can be done by simple "turning of a couple of bolts" way. Although cheap, Pro stock is still going to cost me some and with additional hustle of sending it to Isny wouldn't be cats meow...if that would be mandatory, I'd rather bought a complete PRO stock & end up with 2 fully operational systems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember there's a small bolt that's way down in the stock that hold the action metal in. I forget what mm it is, but you need a 12-15 inch extension to get down to it from the buttstock after you take the recoil pad off.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Yep you can it is pretty easy.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I remember there's a small bolt that's way down in the stock that holds the action metal in. I forget what MM it is, but you need a 12-15 inch extension to get down to it from the buttstock after you take the recoil pad off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello mouse93
As I remember there are 6 bolts to be turn off.
1.- Turn off 2 the bolts that hold the trigger guard. Do not remember if they are Torx 15 or Torx 20.
2.- Take off the recoil pad (Two bolts. They are hidden but could be reached if open the vertical cuts of the pad).
3.- Loose the bolt that holds the carcass through the butt stock.
4.- Loose the bolt that hold the carcass on the forearm. Maybe Torx 30

Easy¡¡¡. This is what you will find.

Regards

Posts: 102 | Location: South West | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Kechutti splendid work - just what I was looking for - thank you. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Always wondered how that was done!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13364 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Alright - operation succesfull...and for a future reference...

...didn't went as smooth as I thought it would...I don't know - maybe it has all to do with my Offroad dated 1999 and Pro stock 2010?

First - all it takes to remove it is two bolts - pos. see marked green on the pic.

Second - system from Offroad doesn't fit into Professional. Folks at Blaser made quite some effort to prevent doing this. Contour - marked red - is broader in Offroad (Pro stock is rounder) so it takes some very skillful gunsmithing work on Pro stock to make it happen.

The bolt that comes into system from the butstock is longer in Offrad than in Pro - those are not interchangable.

Upper part of the Pro stock that lays under the path of the bolt handle isn't rounded as in Offroad - bolt handle grasps along so the edge had to be filled some...

Anyway - to pay a tribute to the work done I have also instaled a Limbsaver pad and I am one happy camper right now - was it worth it?

All the way - Pro stock is way above Offroad one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did it again.I only used 3 tools: a 3mm Hex Key, a T20 Torx screwdriver and a long blade 5 mm Ball-Point T handle Hex Key.

Regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kechutti:
I did it again.I only used 3 tools: a 3mm Hex Key, a T20 Torx screwdriver and a long blade 5 mm Ball-Point T handle Hex Key.

Regards

Yes it is all it takes.

Just a reminder - System made for R93 Offroad (it is an early version for composite stocks that is disscontinued today - that is the one I have) doesn't fit into Proffesional stock. I borrowed one of your pics that clearly shows the parts of the Proffesional stock that are the culprits - angles on Offroad System are roundd while (as seen on the pics) in Proffesional those are cornered and had to be grinded off to accommodate Offroad system.

P.S. After changing the stocks I had to resight the optics/barrels - 8x68S was printing 2" higher and 9,3x62 1" lower @ 100m than with Offroad stock - and was (as we speak) already baptized.

Pro stock is so much better than Offroad one I'd encourage anybody to do it - or even better (if funds aren't issue) buy one with system already incorporated Smiler .

Picture of garypilot
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Can you please elaborate on why you feel the Professional stock is superior to the Offroad model. I have the Offroad, and haven't been displeased. Just curious about your experience(s) that point you to the Professional.

Thank you,
Gary

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 April 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary,

try to handle one and you will get the feel of it.

I had 2 issues with Offroad - mind you I exploited that R93 to its fullest. What bothered me is - when I was tracking wounded game I kept loosing the rubber pad (on Offroad it is a slip-on type) when pulling myself through thorny undergrowth and climbing...Guys from Blaser were very helpfull - got replacement 4 times sent to me directly from factory. The one on a Pro stock is screwed in with two allen bolts.

Then it was the plastic on Offroad - even on normal weather conditions it feels sort of slippery - with Pro one the rubber inserts (stock has a true palm swell) just "grows" into your palms - hard to put it - you must try it out. All that is so much more evident under extreme conditions that I usually operate under - wet/snow here in EU:

or in the African heat when you get sweaty palms at very unconvenient times:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too prefer the Pro stock...feels more substantial for some reason. The solid black plastic of the Offroad looks a bit too Tupperware for me. I now use the R8 in a Safari Savannah Pro, like this one, with barrels in 458 Lott, 375 H&H, 300 WM, and a fluted 243 Match. It's my "go anywhere-hunt anything" travel rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs - What a beautiful rifle and it's ready to travel anywhere in the World. Seems I have seen a similar one here in New Mexico?? I think the Pro Stock is the cats meow.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
I too prefer the Pro stock...feels more substantial for some reason. The solid black plastic of the Offroad looks a bit too Tupperware for me. I now use the R8 in a Safari Savannah Pro, like this one, with barrels in 458 Lott, 375 H&H, 300 WM, and a fluted 243 Match. It's my "go anywhere-hunt anything" travel rifle.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I added an engraved and gold-lined boltknob just to personalize it a bit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine will only have that if you send me one on a no charge basis. Big Grin Looks really good though.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Larry, I added an engraved and gold-lined boltknob just to personalize it a bit.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Beautiful solid rifle and Biebs was kind enough to let me shoot it.

Really felt solid and was heavier than my cz - i like heavy guns.

Also great to travel with.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote