THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    A good a deer rifle as you will find at any price !

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good a deer rifle as you will find at any price !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some great deer slayers.
A couple of Roberts and an AI , a 7 mag a 7x57 of course an 06 too.
Mostly bolt guns, the 7X57 is a Ruger #1A
But i am thinking of getting rid of a bunch of them.
About a year ago , a got an old Savage 99F in .308.
This thing is just great.!
I have shot probably 5 hand loads and 2 factory loads through her , and it shoots them all very close to moa. Most loads are right at an inch.
Last weekend i tried 165 grain bullets for the 1st time. The 1st group was 1.25, the second 0.45.
The thing is light to carry handles about like a 30/30 , and out to 300 yards. witch is far enough for most of us. It will do the Job as well as any other rifle.
And its just plain cool ! and only cost me 600.00 ...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad had a 99 in 250 Savage, he shot a ton of deer with it, wish he hadn't sold it, or at least waited till I could afford to buy it.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Dad use a 99 in 300 sav and also shot a lot of deer with it. I use a 99 300 sav and shot a lot of deer with. The 99s get the job done

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three 99 Savages, all in Savage calibers: a .22 Savage Hi Power, a .250-3000 Savage and a .300 Savage, all of which will do the job on deer, as I have discovered from personal experience.

Two of the three of these cartridges are Charles Newton inventions, a factor which initially intrigued me, since I also own several original Newton rifles.

Back in the day when my deer hunting involved a good deal of walking, the 99 Savages, with their wonderful carrying qualities, really appealed to me, and now, when walking is no longer in the cards, I look back on those days with fond recollection.

The 99 Savage was highly thought of by Townsend Whelen, and that also means a lot to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned a .308 mod 99F (1950 era) and it also shoots an inch or better, its now without blue and the stock is saddle worn and drift woody. some pits and blood spots..It still and always will be my saddle gun when hunting deer and elk. I also have mint 99G take down in 250-3000 that's been around for several years and it shoots sub MOA with about any load 100 grs and under except for the RN 117 Hornady which it shoot at an inch every time, unusual for a 1x14 twist, It won't shoot any Boat tail btw..I have 3 99s..I love'em...

I like my Win 71 (Browning), my two 30-30s and my favorite of them all, my old SRC Win. 25-35, shot lots of deer with that old gun and a number of elk early on...

I like Lever guns and I like bolt actions as well.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The 99s are great guns. I'm still lusting after a BLR in 358 Win and there's that 50 BMG the boys want, after that ....

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tj,

Congrats on getting a 99!

Is it a Featherweight? Are you going to put a scope on it.

The 99 Savage has been my primary big game rifle since getting a 99F in 1966.

Mine has the tang safety and a 2-7 Leu. on it. Its a 358.

They are control round feed! Did you know that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 99 has a 2x7 nikon, and the older lever mounted safety,
I think it is a featherweight. It does not have the F marked on it.
Its very light though...tj3006

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tj

If your gun is a F model it will have the blunted flat forend wood as opposed to the schnable, It won't have an F stamp on it..The barrel has the dog nut sight slot, and the crown is .590 roughly. I sould have the underlever safety and a brass rotor, and were made from about 1050 to 1955 give or take, later versions had a tang safety and aluminum rotor, but there are variations for sure. Actually not many Savages had a model stamp, but if they do it will be on the left side of the front action ring..The EG and DLs were sometimes marked and other times not..You never know with Savage, it can be a collector nightmare and create a multitude of arguements. A lot of the variations came about by Savage using left over parts from time to time At one time I had a .308 Win mod. 99 EG, and that's unheard of as far as I know. It was, according to Savage made from their stash of parts and only a few were made prior the later 99F, I say later because very early on Savage made several variations of 99Fs Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of my 99F .358 Win. that has been my primary woods rifle since 1966.

It has a 2-7 Leu. on it now.

All game was taken with my handloads which is the 200 gr Silvertip over 3031.

The slip on pad was only for the range.

The barrel is stamped fine lettering all on the right side:

" HIGH PRESSURE STEEL PROOF TESTED -PROOF TESTED- MODEL 99 F

On the barrels left side:

358 Win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine looks just like yours but there is no F

...tj3006

One of Us
posted Hide Post
when my wife's step dad was about 76 I took him to a friends ranch. It was the end of the season and they were supposed to harvest more does than they had. When charlie got into the stand with his 358 Model 99 savage he asked what do you want me to shoot and my friend said any bald deer and as many as you want Charlie.

We dropped him off about 3pm and when we went back to pick him up about 30 minutes before dark he had 7 does stacked up under the stand. 7 shots 7 deer. Wink. I spent a lot of that trip butchering that deer.

took him hunting this year. He's 84. Same m-99. one shot one deer. Great cartridge and rifle. I never did understand why the 358 didn't catch on.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you found out about the Model 99. The trouble with guys like you is you buy and keep them, making them unavailable to guys like me.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several 99s. A couple of 300's and a 250. Great deer rifles. Just feels good taking them afield.

Posts: 34 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old 1899 and 99 Savage were and are fine rifles. I had an 1899 carbine in 303 Savage and truth be told it's all the deer cartridge needed where I hunt.

Reference the 358, I have asked the same question, why it was no more popular for as good a cartridge as it is. I like it vastly more than the 308. It's purely a matter of taste but I prefer the 9 X 57 Mauser which for all practical purposes is equal to the 358 WCF ballistically,

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
99 Savage,
Your gun appears to be a 99DL with the Monte Carlo comb and a tang safety..The 99F had a flat blunted forend, a raised but low comb oil finished and hand checkered,an underlever safety, and a dog knot in the fwt. barrel for the rear sight. The were produced from about 1950 to 1954. I have several of them and have owned more than a few over the years.

That said there were some strange rifles came out of the Savage arsnal towards the last years, all made from parts. Id bet dollars to donuts that is what you have, and they are rare as hens teeth and fetch high prices these days.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post

My Dad's'50s vintage .300 works fine on elk also

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow big freakin rack !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

My 99's barrel is marked "High pressure steel, proof tested Model 99F"

The other side says .358 Win.

I got it in 1966 and refinished the stock back then.

I got it in a gun shop in 1966. I have been handloading my ammo since 1953.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my uncle died, my aunt left me his old M99 in .303 Savage. Octagon barrel, buckhorn sight, hook butt plate. I shot a doe with it for her before she died.

The stock is horrible. It's accurate but the barrel is pitted. I've been wanting to send it to Turnbull for a rebuild.

Great rifles.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
numbers. My oldest 99s are great rifles. I currently have 4 of them. All pre mil serial numbers. My oldest is from the mid 30s. It is one of my favorites to hunt with. I have 3 in 300 savage. And 1 in 250-3000 savage. All EGs.

Posts: 34 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote