THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Someone tell me the specifics on a 325 WSM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Someone tell me the specifics on a 325 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
My brother just ordered a new rifle in 325 WSM. I'm usually really up on everything but on this one I'm out of my depth.
What is the bullet diameter that this rifle uses?
I know it is a necked up 300 WSM but other than that I'm clueless.
What are typical speeds that typical weight bullets are driven?
Any one have one they are shooting?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
its 8 mm they tried to do this in 338 but could not make it work for whatever reason so its kinda the 338 wsm but 325/8mm instead it works ok I did not like it but some people do it is a 8mm mag in short pants. should be ok for your kind of hunting dont have any balistics from memory but it just did not light me up.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky Number
The .325 Winchester Short Magnum flexes its big-game muscle in Colorado and Alaska.
from Guns & Ammo, April 2005
by Wayne van Zwoll
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/number_072605/index.html

Elk and the .325
A new cartridge may just be the perfect elk medicine.
by Ron Spomer
http://www.huntingmag.com/big_game/elk325_052605/

The .325 Winchester Short Magnum
Loading for the newest member of the 8mm clan.
from Guns & Ammo, July 2007
by Bob Forker
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/0607/

The Iliad, the Odyssey...and the 325 WSM - Part I
http://www.realguns.com/archives/138.htm

The Iliad, the Odyssey...and the 325 WSM - Part II
http://www.realguns.com/archives/139.htm

And some load data for the .325 WSM from www.realguns.com
http://www.realguns.com/loads/325wsm.htm

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason it is not a short 338 is because they could not get it to outperform the 338 WM when comparing apples to apples. A quick way to a certain death. Using the 325 designation will allow it to live a bit longer and give it some time to grow on the consumer, which it has to some extent. The 8mm Mag never caught on and the 325 is only marginally more popular. It will never be where the 338WM is. Ok, rant over.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Kimber Montana 325 WSM shoots 4 different loads into 3/4 MOA or better. I like the 200gr TSX at about 2950fps. I can't think of any big game animal in the America's that this wouldn't be a good load for.
It's not a huge difference over the 300 WSM but the extra 20grs of bullet weight would lead me to choose it on a hunt where bears might be around.
It's a little different and I really like it.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
The reason it is not a short 338 is because they could not get it to outperform the 338 WM when comparing apples to apples. A quick way to a certain death. Using the 325 designation will allow it to live a bit longer and give it some time to grow on the consumer, which it has to some extent. The 8mm Mag never caught on and the 325 is only marginally more popular. It will never be where the 338WM is. Ok, rant over.

I wonder if what they said (Winchester) was true or if they thought it would take away sales from the 338WM or that it would not sale enough because of the 338WM. If the 7mm WSM equals or exceeds the 7MM Remington then a 338WSM should equal or exceed a 338WM. Larry Tahler from Serengeti Rifles had a 20" Manlicher stocked wildcat in 338WSM that he was using this year in Africa(see current Rifle Magazine). Everything he shot went down right there. Of course he is an old sniper from the Viet Nam era. I did not ask what his bullets were leaving the muzzle at but I don't think the same rifle in a 338WM would be going as fast with the same length barrel and I am sure it would have weighed at least 1/4 pound more. Several others that poster here have 338WSM's so maybe they could post some numbers. I think it may have been a marketing thing. The 6mm Remington exceeds the 243Win but the marketing of the 243 was better so it won over the 6mm. What do others think? I think the 325WSM could be a great all around rifle for African plains game or North American game. You can get it in a compact lite weigh rifle for well under a grand even with a scope and should not feel under gunned except for big dangerous game. I would have one if I needed a new rifle but I have a 270WSM and two 300WSM and a 376Steyr so I sort of have they area covered. I need something small like a 223.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
AA the 338 with the 250 gr blts was not quite as fast as or just about the same as 338 win it realy should shine with 200 gr but in aples to aples same blt weight the heavy 250 or long x/tsx took up to much powder space I looked at this thing real hard and was waiting for the 338wsm and probably would have bought one but they just didnt make it and even the wildcatters agreed that it just wasnt as much as the 338wm I tried the 325 but it just left me flat and 8 mm blts were a pain and I did not want another wildcat in 338. so f it 338 wm is still the bees knees

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys this was exactly what I was looking for. My brother already has a 300WSM and a 270WSM that he really enjoys, he just thought a 325WSM would be a natural progression in his love for the short mags. He also has a 338 and 300 Win Mag and the straight 270 and seems to enjoy them all.
I thought the 325 was in fact an 8mm I just didn't know for sure.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always figure the simple expanation is right in the middle between the 300 win and 338 win. If you ask me thats is pretty good company to keep for an all around big game rifle.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote