THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    S. American "Horse" mauser caliber?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S. American "Horse" mauser caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know anything about these? Found one at the local toy store on Sat. It has an 18" barrel, which is supposed to be original. The seller had it listed as a 7x57, but that didn't seem right. Just looking for some early info, before the 'smith gets time to do a chamber cast.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were several south american carbines of which the Venezulean is chambered in 7x57. So the caliber could be correct.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope so, the 'smith didn't think it looked like it, though -- took a cartridge in the caliber, and the bullet didn't seem to fit in the end of the barrel -- oh well, I'll be happy w. it regardless, and I guess I'll wait a couple days until the chamber cast gets done.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your "smith" tried to stick a jacketed bullet in the muzzle and it didn't seem to fit? Methinks he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. What I think he should have done was use a lead sinker or fairly soft cast bullet and slug the barrel. Ain't no way in hell a .284" jacketed bullet gonna just slide intio that barrel. The lands get in the way.
methinks I'd be finding me another gunsmith.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of those SA mausers were 7.65x53mm too, although most of the ones I have collected have been 7x57mm. Collecting the little "Police Carbines" is some of the most fun, rewarding, and painful collecting I have done.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
Your "smith" tried to stick a jacketed bullet in the muzzle and it didn't seem to fit? Methinks he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. What I think he should have done was use a lead sinker or fairly soft cast bullet and slug the barrel. Ain't no way in hell a .284" jacketed bullet gonna just slide intio that barrel. The lands get in the way.
methinks I'd be finding me another gunsmith.
Paul B.

ok, ok, we are dumb fools.

But when a friend wanted to sell me two Mausers, which he said would be 7 x 57, the first thing to check for caliber was to stick an inverted cartridge in the muzzle.

First it beats putting a finger inside there ;-)

Second, it QUICKLY showed, that they weren´t 8 mm´s of any sort ... and deleteing 6.5 mm´s was easy too!

NO, we didn´t stop at that evaluation.

And: they BOTH really are 7 mm´s ( Brazilian 08 "langes Gewehr 98" and M 34 CZ 7 mm ) and the bullet went in VERY DIFFERENT DEPTH!!!

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Sticking a bullet in the muzzle is a rough gauge of muzzle wear from cleaning rod use. In the proper caliber a bullet can go all the way in to the neck of the case (bad), or have much of the bullet's ogive stop outside the muzzle (good.) If it goes all the way in and rattles around, the bore might be of a larger caliber.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote