Find
Notify
Tools

358 caliber big cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted a 9.3x70, but a 9x70 built on the same 404 Jefferies case or a 375 Rum case (using the rebated rim) would be awesome!

Harald Wolf's article on the 9.3x70 from Hatari magazine was what inspired me. I sold my entire collection of Hatari magazines about 5 or 6 years ago.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW: That cartridge exists. The 358 UMT.

Bruce Towsely wildcatted the 358 on the 300 RUM case.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Im not a fan of the 35 caliber particularly but Ive seen the 358 Norma perform on cape buffalo and its damned impressive, Ive often thought of building one, but Im a fan of the 9.3x62 and 93x64, and Ive performed wonders with the .338 Win. over the years, but the 358 Norma just might be a bit better, at least on paper, Just my two bits, doubt if there is a dimes worth of difference in any of them, but I believe wildcats today are an expensive waste of time..

I do like the .35's and I've had the itch for a .358 Norma for years too. To me at least it makes the most sense and I don't mean to take anything away from those who prefer something like an STA or any of the other faster ones.

I even have a rifle for the project, an M70 Winchester in .300 WM, a cartridge that I just never warmed up to. It would be a simple rebarrel and maybe some feeding tweaks to get it done.

The 358 Norma can easily be loaded to 2600 f/s with 280 grains Swift A-Frame using R22 in a 23,5-inch barrel.

Posts: 51 | Location: Westcoast of Norway | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A plus with the 358 Norma is necked up 338s will hold the full power loads whereas necked down 375 H&H won't even go close to holding the powder for top 358 STA loads. However, when I had 358 STAs I I ended up necking up 340 Wby brass. The case capacity of new 340 brass is only a couple of grains smaller than fireformed 358 STAs made from Winchester 375 brass. Based on externaly dimensions you would think the difference was greater but Wby brass has much thinner case walls.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with my STA’s over the years has shown me the clambering is very versital on larger and dangerous game. I took one of mine to Africa and took plains game with it, used a 416 Rem on the Buffalo. My PH stated he thought the STA would be more than adequate on the Buff. My Winchester STA shoots a 270 gr. Northfork at 2849 fps with 90 grains RL-22 with 1/2 inch groups. It shoots a 250 gr. Northfork at 2940 fps with cloverleaf accuracy with 92 grains RL-22 when I have a good day pulling the trigger. My second STA is a Model 70 post 64 action and Lilja barrel. It shoots the 270 gr. NF at 2943 fps with 89 grains RL-22 and does 3/4 inch groups. The Lilja also shoots the 250 gr. NF at 3033 fps with 92 grains RL-22 and has cloverleaf accuracy, meaning three shots touching each other at 100 yards. Both these rifles have had many hunts for me, my son and grandsons since 2005, and we hope for many more. As you can see RL-22 is our magic powder for these two rifles. This is our experience for what it is worth for anyone with interest in the STA clambering. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a pretty large number of 35 caliber rifles. My favorite has been and continues to be the 350 Rem Mag in the 600 or 660 carbines. They ride nicely in the canoe and take down moose-bear with no problem at all. They also don't kick too bad at all. For those of us who actually spend time in the wilderness I appreciate Remington for making a rifle for us.

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love your videos North61.Do you still have that 350 Norma Magnum?

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by North61:
I have owned a pretty large number of 35 caliber rifles. My favorite has been and continues to be the 350 Rem Mag in the 600 or 660 carbines. They ride nicely in the canoe and take down moose-bear with no problem at all. They also don't kick too bad at all. For those of us who actually spend time in the wilderness I appreciate Remington for making a rifle for us.

Amen! tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have become a huge fan of the 35 Whelen. With 225 grain Swift A Frames at just over 2500 fps its a real killer. My rifle barrel is only 21.5" so it cant seem to go faster! But with it I have shoot roan, wildebeest, red stag, brown bear, ostrich, hartebeest, zebra etc - all one shot kills.

Its replaced my 375 H&Hs, as I now use a bigger gun for the big stuff and the whelen for everything else these days!

I was going to use it on a croc right about now if not for the bloody COVID!

AR

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
I have become a huge fan of the 35 Whelen. With 225 grain Swift A Frames at just over 2500 fps its a real killer. My rifle barrel is only 21.5" so it cant seem to go faster! But with it I have shoot roan, wildebeest, red stag, brown bear, ostrich, hartebeest, zebra etc - all one shot kills.

Its replaced my 375 H&Hs, as I now use a bigger gun for the big stuff and the whelen for everything else these days!

AR

+1

Love that Whelen!

I have twice taken my Dakotas in 35 Whelen to Zambia for Leopard and all PG, and a 404 Jeffery for Buffalo. Great combination.

I use 250 gr. NP in my 35 Whelen.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love that Moose you took Surefire with your 35 Whelen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I love that Moose you took Surefire with your 35 Whelen.

Thank you LHeym500!

I used a 280 SAF on him with my Ruger Hawkeye SS/syn. The factory 1:12 barrel twist on that rifle sure helps with the heavier weight bullets like that 280 and even the Woodleigh 310. In fact, the 280 gr. was a bit more accurate than my 'regular' 250 NP in that rifle.

Sure was a fun hunt!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

AR

Yes you have taken some nice game with that Whelen of yours. It's nice when you have something just about as effective but lighter weight than a 375. clap

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

AR

Agree with that. I just had a left hand 35 Whelen built By Hill Country Rifles that I plan to use for plains game, moose, elk, bear, and red stag. Basically anything over 300 lbs.

I also recently snagged a left hand Winchester 375 HH that I’m going to convert to a 416 Rem or 458 Lott. That will be used for the really big stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .348 mod. 71 Win.Its a 30-06 in disguise with a overloaded reputation, its a long ways from a 35 whelen..Check your reloading books, it duplicates the 30-06 velocity wise and bullet wise...and no flies on that, I love the 30-06 but I use hot loads and modern bullets so it walks away from my 348, but I love the gun itself,big ole lever action that shoot 3 inches to 3.5 inches at 75 yards with a receiver sight...Its a kick to shoot whitetail with in the thick and elk in black timber..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson: Always enjoy your responses. You sure got to meet slot of big names in hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:

Do you remember a time when all stocks were wood? Big Grin

Do you mean that they're NOT all wood?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
350 Rem Mag long action 24" 1:12 barrel. Magazine/long throat allows for increased OAL for greater case capacity. Near maximum loads chronographed. Efficient.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4sixteen: What you got with that long action/long box 358 Remington is what the 358 Remington should have been. It appears you turned it into a 358?Norma.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
358 NM 250gr compared. My 350 RM LA close.

https://www.hodgdon.com/warning/

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Ive been intrigued with the .35s for a long time, especially the .358 Win. For me, if I need more range and thump, I take my .375 H&H. That said, I’ve always wanted to build a .358 Norma.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote