New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acceptable primers.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is the Federal Gold match that much better?

What primers do you like?

Question:
Primers?

Choices:
Federal Match
Winchester
CCI
Remington

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what I'm shooting. CCI-200 for almost all center fire rifle loading; CCI-400 for small rifle primers; CCI-450 Magnum for 223 or 204 using H-335; Winchester WLP for almost all handgun reloading (45 Colt & 45 ACP). When primers were hard to find a few years ago I used any pistol primer I could get and had no problems.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I buy the ones on sale of those brands. I buy in sleeves so I can shoot a long time before rechecking loads with another brand.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When somthing similar to 9/11 or desert storm happens, you use the ones you can find ! AND learn to stock up when you can .
I aways date my primers w/ a sharpie. Hell, keep them in a cool, dark place and they will outlive you !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using CCI 400s in large numbers and CCI 200s in fewer numbers. The both worked fine for me until I got my .204 Savage FCV.

I think I met a perfect storm of intolerant tolerances: a firing pin that was of small diameter but within tolerances, a firing pin hole in the bolt that was of large diameter but within tolerances, and primers that were within tolerances but either too soft or too thin to withstand the firing pin/firing pin hole issue.

The result was severe cratering and a small percentage of pierced primers. There were no signs of excessive pressure that I could identify, the key one, for me, being that replacement primers are too easy to seat. (There was good resistance to seating in those cases with pierced primers.)

I tried a quick and dirty test using Tula and Federal Match primers using exactly the same load (5 rounds each. The Tulas showed some cratering, but not nearly what the CCI did, the Federal Match showed no cratering. Needless to say, none of these primers was pierced.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot many rifles for many years, 1500 per year now, more than that in the past. From .223 up to .416. I shoot many buddies rifles and develope their loads as well as several grandsons and a great grandson. I furnish the family rifles and reload for them, my son of 48 has hunted with me since he was 9 yrs old and has never fired a factory round. I say all this to say accuracy is my thing as well as speed. Many years of Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear hunting has taught me one thing, load Federal Gold Match primers. They have always proven to be by far the most accurate. The only time I use anything else is CCI-400 in refurbished once fired .223 Rem rounds already loaded with them. ——- I shoot .223, .243, .25, .270 WSM, 7mm, 300, .338 Lapua and .340 Wby, .358 STA, .416 Rem and Rigby, plus anything a buddie might throw at me. I also learned many moons to by by the bunch’s when you can to account for the scarce times. For what it is worth this is what I do with the primers and have never looked back. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question:
Please help.

I have been using Remington no. 7 1/2 Small Rifle primers in our 223. rifles, for no reason other than I just happen to have 1000 of them.
Do you think that I should be using another type?
I use H335 powder.

I have a lot of Federal no. 205M Small Bench Rest primers. Are they good for .223?
What would you say is the best choice for .223?

I clean the primer pockets but I have never paid enough attention to researching primers.

Thank you for your advice. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3337 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have relatively very little choice in primers, and in general, you will not find very many extreme differences in shooting situations.

I suggest you try a few and see if they are better or worse in your rifle.

I suspect you will find very little difference.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Saeed.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3337 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that it would make much difference but I would suggest not mixing them.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasbeeman, That makes sense, Thanks. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Question:
Please help.

I have been using Remington no. 7 1/2 Small Rifle primers in our 223. rifles, for no reason other than I just happen to have 1000 of them.
Do you think that I should be using another type?
I use H335 powder.

I have a lot of Federal no. 205M Small Bench Rest primers. Are they good for .223?
What would you say is the best choice for .223?

I clean the primer pockets but I have never paid enough attention to researching primers.

Thank you for your advice. Brian

H335 in the 223 is one combination I have found works best by a good margin using magnum primers. I tried standard and benchrest, but magnum primers consistently gave enough better accuracy to be entirely worth using.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When i reread my post on primers it sounded like i said I shot 1500 rifles last year, that was not what i was trying to say. I meant to say I shot 1500 rounds with several different rifles. Just wanted to make clear what I attempted to say. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
When i reread my post on primers it sounded like i said I shot 1500 rifles last year, that was not what i was trying to say. I meant to say I shot 1500 rounds with several different rifles. Just wanted to make clear what I attempted to say. Good shooting.
Damn! You were my hero! Big Grin

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sagebrush Burns.
Good to know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a little of ever thing, I am starting to get away from Winchester, after about 4 loading the win. primers fill 'not so tight' and CCI and Fed. still fit firm..

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have about all the brands of primers out there. I've noticed very little difference except with magnum Large Pistol primers with H110/Win 296. The large pistol work fine in the summer but when temps drop to single digits or below they don't work well.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Federal 210s for standard calibers and 215 for magnums, they are excellent primers and I like consistency, that's why I only use Federals, not because they are the best..CCI, Win. all good primers, just be consistent and use one primer for all or most of your reloading.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray would you recommend the 215 for the 270 Winchester?

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote