New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kenetrek Desert Guide Boots?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you have these boots??? I am thinking of going for them but at $400 bucks I would like a few opinions first.

Thank You!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is something about the way they are built that causes a lot of people heel problems when you go vertical. They are tough, heavy and to me comfortable, if you can get past the heel issues. They seem to run a little narrow, which suits me fine.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I gave Kennetrek a try and they tore my feel and heels all to hell. I still can't get away from Meindels.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might stick to my Asolo's!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I tried the Kennetrek boots and found them extremely uncomfortable, even for a mountain boot. I ended up buying Crispi Boots at the DCS this year.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopardtrack, I don't own their desert guide boots but, I have both Asolo Sasslongs and Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I use my Asolo's during warmer months (wearing them tomorrow on a turkey hunt) and they are fine boots for the money. Boot fit is obviously a personal thing, but, my Kenetreks are absolutely the most comfortable boots I've owned. Just know that they take longer than some boots to break in. According to Kenetrek, Mountain Extremes take about 50 miles before they fully broken in. I now have over 75 miles on mine by my calculations. I'm in my 3rd year with mine and they still look practically new. Great boots!

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kenetreks blew a hole in my heel and just about killed me on a solo mt goat hunt. Never again will I own a Kenetrek boot.

Picture of HiDrag
posted Hide Post
I really like my Kenetrek boots.

I'm looking at the Desert Guides myself.

Surgeon Slut

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 09 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok obviously it comes down to whether they fit or not. For me 12 M Kennetrek fit so good no break in required. I have the uninsulated and insulated mountain extremes. Best boot I ever had. I tried Meindl's, did not fit my foot as well, as with all the others. Expensive but very light and well made. I would go with meindl's, asolo, kennetrek or any other top end boot that FITS right. Tough to break in 3mm leather with your heel.

Just my experience

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Kennetrex
Best I ever had
I swear it's like walking on cloud and in W MT elk hunting, you better have the best

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme non-insulated and am very pleased - fit well, comfortable, water proof and are holding up after two sheep hunts and an elk hunt.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a heavy pair of hikng boots for any disaplane it would be and has always been Whites packers..but for less than rugged country I like a light pair of Justin square toed lace up cowboy boots, they are cheap and they are comfortable. I wear them daily when working or riding my horses. I hunt in them all over the USA..I think most folks tend to wear boots that are too heavy, just my 2 bits. I also have a pair of square toed Bean boots I bought form NRS (National Ropers Supply) and I have hunted deer and elk in them for years, they have thick crepe soles, and they work horseback and when I have to walk...comfortable!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote