THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    215 grain hard cast in.357 maximum.

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

215 grain hard cast in.357 maximum.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an 8 inch barreled Dan wesson 357 rem maximum super mag revolver .It's super accurate and I want to try these 215 grain hard cast bullets with gas checks on them .It looks like a Keith design but it's a copy .I usually use aa1680 powder in.this pistol but am not sure with this heavy of a bullet .It should be awesome for hunting.under 100 yards if it's accurate and does not tumble .I.have 600 of there so I.Need to use or lose them .The guy loaded them for 35 Remington rifle .They are pretty long for a .357 bullet but.hopefully their is enough room for powder with the 357 rem maximum .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullet you have sounds like the Lyman #358627. The Accurate Powder #1 Loading Guide lists this bullet with 18.0 gr of 1680 as a starting load and 20.0 gr. as maximum. They use Rem. brass and CCI BR4 primers and a cartridge length of 1.965".

The Lyman #47 Reloading Handbook has data for this bullet in the .357 Max. in the T/C Contender. It does not say anything about using it in a revolver. They use RX7 and IMR-4227 powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try some H110 or 4227. Don't know the charge amount to suggest. Look in the books.

I shoot both 147's and 158 in my K-38. And did the same when I had a blackhawk .357. They worked great. I cast these by the 2 gallon buckets full, can every winter.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like the bullet I have .I wish I had a 357 rem max carbine a lever gun.I think the 357 rem max missed it's mark not being a lever gun cartridge .I really like this Dan wesson revolver in 357 rem max but add a scope mount and scope and six rounds it's pushing six pounds.I need to find a lighter scope mount than the Redfield one I have it's a Block of steel .I have shot this 1983 rem max Dan wesson a few thousand times it's still tight as a tank .I have shot a bunch of the contender loads in it .I think they do way better in.The longer contender barrel .I wish Henry would make a carbine in it that would be awesome ! I will try these bullets if they don't work some one will like them in.their 35 caliber rifle !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I never could get the performance I was looking for with the 358627. I had much better luck with the 180-190 graain cast bullets in the Max.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I got good results using Accurate #9 with the 180 gr. CPBC-WFNGC and with A-1680 using the Beartooth 187 gr. WFNGC. I found that Lil' Gun produced less pressure with bullets heavier than 200 grains, but unfortunately, case capacity becomes a factor with the heavier bullets.

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 8 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I felt the need for more lead, I think I would find myself a 44 or 45 caliber..

I could never see the use of 200 plus grs in a .357 pistol, or a rifle for that matter, they are too slow at best IMO..On deer, and I don't recommend a .357 for deer, the 125 jacketed to the 158 gr. Keith HP have worked best from what Ive seen, but not impressive..Just from a hunting standpoint..I see the .357 as a personal defense caliber only, and its the best for that with the 125 gr. jacketed hollow point.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried 200grs them in my 357 velocity sucked. might try them in my max this summer.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I don't recommend a .357 for deer, the 125 jacketed to the 158 gr. Keith HP have worked best from what Ive seen, but not impressive..Just from a hunting standpoint..I see the .357 as a personal defense caliber only, and its the best for that with the 125 gr. jacketed hollow point.

He's talking about a 357 Maximum, not Magnum. I used it out of a 10" TC Contender as my primary deer gun when I lived in Illinois ( no rifles allowed). The Max is plenty for deer. I load 180 gr XTP over W296.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote