Find
Notify
Tools

BFR or SRH in 475/480?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents!
As some of you are aware of, I am looking for a .475 Linebaugh for practice, competition & hunting. I have now checked things with the IHMSA guys here and they think it is ok with a linebaugh, as there are those shooting bfr 444 marlin in the same district, 5 shot capacity is ok too. Both .480 & .475 meets IHMSA criterions for production guns, and thus qualify me to apply for a licence.

So, then the question would be if it will be a BFR or a SRH, (FA is out of reach economically) and if the SRH could stabilize the heavy (+400gn) bullets with the 1-18 3/4 twist compared to the 1-15 twist of the BFR?

Next thing, who could ream the cylinders to .475 linebaugh from .480 ruger on a SRH? I think it would be easiest to have it done in the US since I do not know of any smith in Sweden who have the reamers, as well as it would be easier for me to get a licence on it if it was chambered as a .475 linebaugh in the export/import papers. Then I have the option of shooting both in one cylinder, more versatility and no fuss with the police to change the licence after reaming.

What is the cylinder length on the SRH compared to the FA and BFR? I want to shoot 400gn bullets and be able to seat them right without loosing too much space in the case.

I have ordered the LEE 400gn mold & will start casting bullets during the summer, hoping that the gun will like to be fed with those bullets.
SA or DA is not as important as the accuracy and crisp trigger pull & recoil handling of the gun.

Any advice or tips on where to find a gun would be greatly appreciated!
These overseas international things take time and I hope that I will have the gun in my hand sometime in february/march....

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

Whitworth recently had the conversion done that you are interested in and I'm sure he can answer all your questions. Jack Huntington is the one to have do this from what I've read. I have shot a BFR that Jack converted to .50 Alaskan. .475 is a standard chambering for the BFR revolvers I believe and they can be cleaned up to have a good trigger pull.

In my opinion, there is no need to shoot .480 Ruger ammo in a .475 Linebaugh if you handload. Loads from mild to wild can be assembled.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
It would certainly be easier and cheeper to buy a BFR in .475 and if you have to have a double action revolver, a .480 should suffice. That said, if you must have a .475 Linebaugh double action, than go no further than Jack Huntington (530/268-6877) and he can build you a 5-shot cylinder -- or he can ream a 5-shot .480 SRH (he will not do this to the older 6-shot .480s). He built mine last year, and I couldn't be happier! Here is a photo of it:

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
+1 with the above 2 posts..

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BFR .475's have an excellent reputation for accuracy, and that would seem to me to be the most reasonable approach.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Get the BFR and don't worry about having to modify it at all. The money you save, you can buy a lot of ammo or reloading supplies.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
unless he wants a DA revolver.......otherwise, the BFR is definitely the way to go.......

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
unless he wants a DA revolver.......otherwise, the BFR is definitely the way to go.......

Yea you are right there. Either double or single action don't matter to me, I shoot them both the same and I like them both.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth, I hate you! Your camera takes much better pictures then mine! dancing

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter, it's not the camera, it's me....... jumping

Semper Fidelis