Find
Notify
Tools

The 10 1/2-inch barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I find myself jonesing for another Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum with the 10 1/2-inch barrel. These were once among the darlings of production revolver class silhouette shooters when IHMSA was thriving. I used a scoped Contender in the few matches I shot, but did rig up one of the long-barreled SBHs with Leupold 2X EER scope and a sling for hunting Eastern Oregon mule deer. It was a handy rig to carry, but I never was offered a shot.
I found this revolver especially rewarding to use from the braced sitting position -- one of the most accurate and easy-shooting big bores I have owned.
Anyone else still campaigning one of these?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I had a 9.5" SRH because I couldn't find a 10.5 SBH at the time. When the SRH came up I grabbed it as I figured there was no 10.5 to be found. I discovered immediately the long and heavy barrel changed the way I felt the recoil and muzzle blast. I like the long barrels to this day because of that. I am still looking for the elusive 10" barrel for my 50 AE. The gas operation really makes the DE easier to shoot and the long barrel should hold it down better. Bill, you Be Well, Packy.

posted Hide Post
My 10½” SBH is still set up for silhouettes, but my 10” FA is scoped and has sling swivel studs for slinging. It is a great hunting revolver.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I still have the one I shot in IHMSA.. its scoped now, the forcing cone looks terrible, but still shoots great...240 grain Hornadys.. and some laser cast too...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2823 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Army and stationed in Northern CA my best friend and I went into a gun store in Susanville and found a 10.5" 44 Mag that once belonged to the Head instructor of the Lassen Community College Gunsmithing School. That gun was the smoothest and probably the most accurate wheel gun i've ever shot.

My buddy still has it to this day.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot IHMSA, but I have a 10.5" Blackhawk flat top in 44 Special that the Ruger Collector's association had made a few years back, and it's accurate and easy to shoot great group at 50 yards and beyond due to the long sight radius.

Posts: 1715 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Trying to decide if I want to work up a sling system or build a chest harness. My chest holster worked pretty well for the Glock 40.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
CDNN has a special on this gun for $639.99.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have the SRH in 9.5". I would buy a 9.5" or 10.5" 45 LC. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Packy, the Ruger with the long tube is no more trouble to carry than a similar Contender, maybe somewhat less. I put slings on my first one, made a holster for the second. Might consider making a chest rig for this next one.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 10" BFR in 460S@W it is a hand full to carry.

I don't mind my 7.5 44s but really like my 5.5.

My older eyes like the longer barrels my 4 inch red hawk sights seem a bit fuzzy.

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Pdog, the Ruger 10 1/2 comes in at 55 ounces. That BFR is close to 70.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, if you still have the desire for a 10-1/2" barreled SBH, I saw one recently at the Cabela's in Kansas City, KS. Not sure if they have it on their website but you might look it up or call them.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote