Find
Notify
Tools

Red Point Advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted
Dears Friends; Im looking for a Red Point for my S&W Model 500 Revolver, of course; 5OO Magnum (600 grains hard cast bullets) I dont want to instal a Tasco cheap one chinese R.D. and see how my handcanon destroy it, Which brand & model recomended me, Zeiss, Aimpoint, Accu. etc... ??? Many Thanks!!!Guille.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Hello Guillermo! Ultradot -- life time warranty, priced right, and they will take a beating! Go to www.ultradotwest.com and take a look at the Ultradot 30 -- it won't disappoint!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Docter Optic.

It is very small and compact.
They have been mounted on the slides of Semi-Auto's and I have not heard of any problems.
I have one on Blaser R 93 Trackers 375 H&H and 308.

For hunting I like it best ot the red dots I have tested.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I might also add that a few of us that post here regularly have Ultradots on our big-kickers -- I have one on my .475 Linebaugh, and they can take it!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt the Ultra dot. I have one that has over 5000 500 mag rounds fired on it. I also have one on my Encore 500 Mag and one on my Ruger 480. The one on the Ruger was on my S&W 460 Mag with over 1000 rounds fired.

The Ultra-dot and the Ultra-dot Match dot are what I use. The only other red-dot I would use is Burris Fast fire. I have blown out the Bushnell, Aim-point, Leupold Gilmore and Millet red-dots.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk1:
Without a doubt the Ultra dot. I have one that has over 5000 500 mag rounds fired on it. I also have one on my Encore 500 Mag and one on my Ruger 480. The one on the Ruger was on my S&W 460 Mag with over 1000 rounds fired.

The Ultra-dot and the Ultra-dot Match dot are what I use. The only other red-dot I would use is Burris Fast fire. I have blown out the Bushnell, Aim-point, Leupold Gilmore and Millet red-dots.

Amen!! That's what I'm talking about! The Ultradot 30 can be had for $135.00 shipped!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
The reason I like the Match-dot from Ultra-dot, is because you can adjust the dot from 2 MOA to 8 MOA. Very nice when you are doing range work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yeah I can believe that it is better for range work than the 30. But, the Ultradot 30 is great for a hunting rig IMHO -- you definitely get more precision being able to adjust the dot size with the Matchdot.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
The only thing that sold me on the Match dot was the dot sizes. Small for range work and larger for hunting. Now my 1 inch Ultra-dot works great for hunting, but not as good for range work. But it does the job both places.
Ultra-dot will always have my business.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Whitworth, NE450No2, Redhawk1; Thanks a lot for Yours advice, I will try with one of those Red Point, I received today a S&W (Warnes) Steel QD Mount sistem for the S&W 500, better than other from aluminium alloy, I only have to change the factory screws because are a little short and dont take advantage of all the frame´s thread. Thanks agains, Good shooting & Hunting: Guille.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it works out for you...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yes, keep us posted Guillermo!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Ultradot is the best buy.I have a Aimpoint and it held up well to my 500 Smith and 50/110 BFR!It does cost more.....BUT,I recently bought the NEW Aimpoint Micro H-1 and love it! It weighs a mere 3.8 ounce WITH the attached mount which fits weaver type rails(Smith 500s PCs have these integral)..Snaps on and the new technology allows the battery to last some crazy amt of time,like 5 years ON!..Around $500,but Neato!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I seen the new Aimpoint Micro's, they look real nice. Have you seen the Burris Fast Fire? I have one and I am going to give it a try on one of my 500 Mag thumpers.

There are a lot of guys putting the Burris Fast Fire's on there shotguns and they are shooting 3 and 3 1/2 inch mag loads with a lot of recoil and they are holding up well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member