THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Need info on red dot scopes...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on red dot scopes...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I own a S&W 41 magnum and would like to mount a mini halo type scope, Sig. Burris, etc, on this pistol to hunt with. I hand load Hornady 210 gr. XTP for this 41 mag. I have read that some heavy recoiling pistols will damage some of these red dot sights. Can anyone speak from experience and fill me in? Thanks in advance for the help. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting my S&W M69 .44 mag (240gr/20.2gr 2400) with several different small red dots and different mounts. Trijicon RMR, C-More STS, Leupold Deltapoint Pro. Have a thousand rounds +- thru the three with the C-More and Leupold seeing most of those and haven't had any problems. Have settled on a Raptor Engineering mount and the Leupold for now.

You shouldn't have any recoil related problems with your .41 Mag.

I'm not totally ready to abandon iron sights for carry.

They take a bit of getting use to but really help old eyes and make hitting easier for me.

FWIW,

Paul

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I found SIG Romeo dot sights at Midway. It has a dot in the horseshoe with two more for longer ranges. It looks good to me but I haven't ordered one yet. It looks good for the bucket list XIX Desert Eagle. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I mounted the Noblex Doctor Optic on a Raptor Engineering base on my 45 Colt Bisley Blackhawk. Pretty slick set up.

Going to try it this weekend.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raptor Engineering base

I'm anxious to hear your report.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Shot two different loads at 50 yds.

The 3.5 MOA dot covers up quite a bit of the aiming point at 50yds so precise aiming is hindered a bit but love the set up, makes a terrific difference for my old eyes.

I'm going to continue load development before I settle on a final hunting load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul5, what is the mount? MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
See next post.

Paul

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTGunner:
Paul5, what is the mount? MTG

Raptor Eng

https://www.raptor-eng.com/rap...sight_mounts_003.htm

Paul

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That Raptor looks like a nice, sturdy, compact base.
470, glad you are liking your new setup. My eyes need help, too.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there any red dots available with adjustable size dots? Looking for something with a large dot for close range that adjusts to a smaller dot for longer ranges.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Found this one from Ultradot -- there may be others.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_008.htm

Paul

posted Hide Post
Correcting post.

Paul

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Are there any red dots available with adjustable size dots? Looking for something with a large dot for close range that adjusts to a smaller dot for longer ranges.

Found this one from Ultradot -- there may be others.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_008.htm

Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, but was thinking more along the lines of one similar to your first posted picture.

I’ve got an older Optima 2000 with a 3 minute dot, which is not enough in bright daylight.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's STI in 38 super a few years ago that had a red dot set up (I don't recall the brand) but it was sweet as could be. Wherever that dot was you were right on the money. I just have a personal concern using a device that requires batteries + is not used often. Corrosion concerns. That is why I have a Trijicon on my A.R.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's STI in 38 super a few years ago that had a red dot set up (I don't recall the brand) but it was sweet as could be. Wherever that dot was you were right on the money. I just have a personal concern using a device that requires batteries + is not used often. Corrosion concerns. That is why I have a Trijicon on my A.R.

When the device is turn off the battery life is unbelievable. While it's running the battery life is mind boggling. I have a friend that has device and the batter is over 4 years old and still going. I have illuminated reticle scopes and a hand full of these red/green dot reflex sight and haven't bought one batter and nor is there every any corrosion. When have you ever seen a coin type battery corrode? I never have. Don't worry about the battery life or corrosion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a base for my Ruger 41 magnum. We'll see how it holds up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
I mounted the Noblex Doctor Optic on a Raptor Engineering base on my 45 Colt Bisley Blackhawk. Pretty slick set up.

heresy!! a red dot scope on a ruger bisley. and i'll have to do it soon on mine too!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:

heresy!! a red dot scope on a ruger bisley. and i'll have to do it soon on mine too!

Anxious to hear about that John. I got my mount, but haven't mounted anything on it yet. I think a hot 41 magnum ought to ring it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I recently put 100 rounds of heavy 41 magnum loads through my 3 screw Blackhawk and can tell you that it holds up. Did not move an iota!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had a chance to try the Kahles Helia RD released last year?
They seem to be at a good price point in relation to the Doctor/ Noblex but I’m intrigued as to where they are made and if they’d withstand being mounted on a slide or magnum revolver

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:

I have a Matchdot from Ultradot on my .475 BFR. It has held up to the abusive recoil.

posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to get the bug for these electronic sights. I was super-slow to try them because I remember clients bringing the earliest versions having all sorts of reliability problems.

But I tried a little bowling pin pistol match a while ago and was one of the only shooters still using "irons".

So I put a Leupold Deltapoint Pro on a 4" barreled S&W .22LR revolver. That gun never seemed that accurate to me because I had a similar gun with a 6" barrel that would shoot much smaller groups. But with the Deltapoint on the 4" all of a sudden it became super accurate.... Apparently the problem was my eyes and that short sight radius.

Recently I was checking it (with cheap ammo) at 50 yards and it shot about a 2" group. I was shocked..., but the group was a bit low and right. So I gave it the appropriate number of clicks to sight it in and was really surprised to see the next group was closer to 1" and dead-on.

I'm still not convinced that I want one on a carry gun, but for plinking and hunting I'm really coming around to them.

The next project will be to put them on some big-kickers and see if they hold up. The reports seem good.

Another mount to check out is the Allchin. They're really popular on some other forums. I went to order one on their website and then realized that John Allchin was in my neighborhood... so I just met him to get one. Sometimes it's a small world.

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have a Fast Fire 3 on my 10mm Auto. I shoot Heavy Buffalo Bore and have never had a problem with the sight.

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I just mounted one on my Ruger Single Seven 327 Fed.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Evans, that is some very fine shooting.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I wonder just how far out you could take a humane shot at a deer or an elk with one of these red dots. I realize that 4 MOA is getting pretty big, but 3 -- at, say, 200 yards?

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO! as the old adage goes concerning a humane kill; get as close as you can, then get a little closer. Every deer + hog that I ever shot with my .41 was within 20 yds. max.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I wonder just how far out you could take a humane shot at a deer or an elk with one of these red dots. I realize that 4 MOA is getting pretty big, but 3 -- at, say, 200 yards?

All depends on the shooter ability to place the bullets in the boiler room.

If you can place every shot on a 8x11 at any given distance you have the ability to make good kills at that distance.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holosun optics are gaining a good reputation.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I totally agree with the closer the better. But I have hunted in some mighty open mule deer country where a close rifle shot is 150 yards. I think it was Bob Milek who said the .44 Magnum was a 100-yard cartridge, but we know what Elmer was capable of.
I will be the first to say "I ain't no Elmer, and I ain't no Bob."

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that Bill, neither am I but not for lack of trying. Big Grin I will say that Bob's preference was the XP 100 + that's really a hand rifle.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The Holosun 507C is getting great reviews and has a very interesting reticle -- a two-minute dot within a 32-minute circle.
https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/104.html

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot this 4" group at 100 yards off sandbags using my S&W 629 Classic with a 5 minute red dot. The bull is only 3 inches.

The same combination fired this 75 yard group of roughly half the size, and that with a flyer. I wouldn't want to go much past 100 yards on deer sized game.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Whelenite, 100-125 yards was about my limit with a Ruger SBH, 10 1/2-inch barrel and Leupold 2X EER.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently ordered a Holosun 507C with green reticle for my 577NE single shot. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have a 507C but no mount yet. Be Well, Packy.