THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Did a little "preaching" from my new "pistol pulpit"

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did a little "preaching" from my new "pistol pulpit"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
This is my portable handgun version of the standing benchrest used by seasoned big-bore rifle shooters -- gunsmiths at Holland and Holland regulating .577 double rifles, that sort of thing.
I have a miserable time with my eyes and glasses shooting from rest at standard table height, as I am seated all scoonched forward to get my head low enough to see the iron sights over the rest -- and in that position, I cannot keep my front sight in focus.
So I built this thing out of plywood scraps and a bit of 1X2 and 2X4. It is 22 inches by 20 1/2 inches by 20 1/2 to the top of the rail. The 2X4 both stiffens it and provides a surface to clamp the pulpit to the bench if need be. (We get serious winds here.)
Today was the trial run, and it worked out great with a Glock Model 40 and the Blackhawk.
When shooting 10mm and .41 Magnum it makes for a mighty loud sermon. lol
It was a good range day. I also shot the Remington Model 8 in .30 Remington with cast bullet loads that it liked, and the Model 1873 Uberti in .44 W.C.F. using the late John Cort's Accurate 43-215C bullet, 10 rounds over 36 grains Old Eynesford FFg, compressed, and the rest over 16 grains of 2400.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16370 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
good idea, have the same problem when shooting off a bench

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just don't like to sit and shoot. I like to stand with medium bores and up. Works well for handguns also. Old eyes and glasses are the pits!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got that right!

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote