Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen & Re15
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted
Checked performance in cold temperature. Reports of Re15 being extremely temperature-sensitive? 5 F ambient temperature today. No issues. 250gr Swift A-Frame / Re15 chronographed consistently right around 2450 fps as it does in warm temperature from my Remington 7400 autoloader (22" 1:16 twist barrel). Tally-ho!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
That can't be, especially with a 16" twist!

I like RL15 in my Whelens too. Thanks for the report.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
For comparison Nosler lists 250gr NP / Re15 at 2506 fps (26" 1:14 barrel).

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/35-whelen/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive tried to duplicate sensitive powder in 120 in Texas and 20 below in Idaho, also in the deep freeze at one time...The results were bang, the velocity didn't change with regularity and not more than 50 FPS, and no issues....Not sure but what some of these claims aren't a sales pitch, but my tests were only to satisfy meself that the guns would function in inclimate weather with my favorites powders, which they always have in the field.

Did the same with some of the powders that clean the bores as you shoot, and they worked pretty well, but it took quite a number of rounds to jump start the process, but it did work..Not very scientific, mostly eyeballing tests, but good enough for guvment work...

Anybody else done any testing on these issues other than reading reports and claims.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes!
I shoot year around and have seen some interesting things with "sensitive" powders but for the "normal" ranges and average cartridges, it really doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

If the ranges are long and you're trying for ultra precision (like 1/2 moa at ranges over 600 yards) then there's something real with the temp insensitive powders.

If you're a bang-flop hunter, it won't matter.
If you're a bang--------flop hunter (or gong ringer), then it does matter.

Nothing terribly wrong with Reloder 15. I use it in a couple cartridges.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done enough testing to know that ball powders can get you some serious hangfires.
Coyote hunting with full moon winter nights ( cant use artificial lights for coyotes here)
Been out at -30 to -40 and get hangfires even with mag primers in .222 mag and the like with ball powder.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Erratic muzzle speeds with ball powder W296 in 45 Colt handloads even at +15 F.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2511043/m/4191078452

Ball powder BL-C(2) for example is listed (Speer #1) as suitable for 35 Whelen handloads. However I wouldn't expect good results in low ambient temperatures.

Re15 good at +5 F apparently.