New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No 1 45-70 loads
 Login/Join

<brewtcl>
posted
I just got a Ruger No 1 in 45-70. I wil be using it on deer and the occasional hog in the woods. I am looking for advice on bullet choice and powder. Thanks for all your advice in advance.

<Yspen>
posted
Hi Brewtcl

You are propably best off using Rel 7 . My favourite powder in my Ruger was Vit N133 (57 gr :Hor 350 RN) - I have since moved back to South Africa and use a powder that is similar to IMR 3031 ( also a great choice )

One word of advice : check the leade in the rifle . Most of the new Ruger doesn't want to chamber the bullets to the COL as listed in the manuals due to a short leade . See if the ammo chambers - if not I recommend that you have a gunsmith check it out and run a leade reamer through it if necessary . I did it and it improved accuracy , and made reloading easier .

Check out the section in the forum : Favourite loads as well as the " Realgun.com " website .

Ben

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 50 to 54 grains of IMR4198 under a Barnes 300 grain X bullet. I think you will be impressed.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have found the 350 grain barnes X, the Lyman cast 457122HP at 342 grains, and the Barnes 400-grain original Pointed bullets to be the best in MY Ruger No. 1 .45/70. The 350-grainers and Lyman cast bullets (with inverted gas-check over the powder) can SAFELY reach velocities of close to 2400 FPS, and the 400 grain can be SAFELY loaded to over 2200 FPS in the Ruger, IF YOU ARE WILLING TO PUT UP WITH THE RECOIL SUCH LOADS GENERATE!! It is so bad, I found that ONLY Leupold scopes would tolerate the recoil!! These velocities can be reached with either RE 7 or IMR 3031, and are based on data published in the 3rd Edition of the Hornady Reloading Manual. I have been using such loads for over 20 years in my No. 1., BUT THEY ARE NO FUN TO SHOOT!!! My REGULAR deer/elk load for the Ruger No. 1, which also works in 1886 Winchesters and Marlin M95's, is Elmer Keith's old load of a 400-grain Speer or Remington 405 grain bullet with 53 grains of IMR 3031. (+- 1800 FPS). It is OK out to 150 yards, and does not kick like a Cape Buffalo!! [Big Grin]