New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 #2 Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know where I can get 450 #2 3 1/2 in Dies or does anyone have a set they want to sell

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
If all else fails for you closer to home this maybe an option. I've purchased 404J stuff from this guy before, he's upfront and reliable.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/ma...s/listing/3703869383

Posts: 3851 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!!

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
eagle27
posted 04 August 2022 17:24
If all else fails for you closer to home this maybe an option. I've purchased 404J stuff from this guy before, he's upfront and reliable.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/ma...s/listing/3703869383

I've also dealt with this guy in NZ. As Eagle says he is a straight up trader. No issues at all.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help. I have a set of CH4D dies now and they are junk. I ordered them several years. I complained that they were not right. I was told He knew everything about them and I was stupid. Out $200.00. Never again CH4D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also agree 30-06 is King

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave sorel:
Thanks for your help. I have a set of CH4D dies now and they are junk. I ordered them several years. I complained that they were not right. I was told He knew everything about them and I was stupid. Out $200.00. Never again CH4D

CH4D dies seem popular enough and often the only source for less popular or custom dies seeing most of the older established manufacturers no longer offer a custom die service.
Out of interest what was/is the problem with the set you have, would it not be fixable?

Posts: 3851 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle has an Eley chamber which I was very clear about when ordering. I was told I know what it is. I was partially at fault for not sending fired cases. The dies I received are for an Asquare chamber. I called and talked to Dave he said to late the dies are hardend He can not change them. There is no full length size die only neck size which does not size neck down small enough. No way to crimp after seating bullet. I could go on but enough said. I have had these dies quite some time and did not shoot the rifle. now that I want to shoot it they are a problem

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
My rifle has an Eley chamber which I was very clear about when ordering. I was told I know what it is. I was partially at fault for not sending fired cases. The dies I received are for an Asquare chamber. I called and talked to Dave he said to late the dies are hardend He can not change them. There is no full length size die only neck size which does not size neck down small enough. No way to crimp after seating bullet. I could go on but enough said. I have had these dies quite some time and did not shoot the rifle. now that I want to shoot it they are a problem

M'mm that is a bit of a problem, as you accept, providing fired cases is the best bet when ordering custom or semi-custom dies.
When I ordered 404J dies from RCBS back in 1984 I had to supply at least three fired cases. The dies are perfect and have served me well over the years.
The bullet seating die nicely irons down a case mouth flare, without crimping, when applied for seating cast bullets. When suitably adjusted the die will crimp if required.
These RCBS dies are well made and polished.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Dave, have you had any luck finding some dies for your 450NE #2. Just thought I would post an update in case you are still looking.
I enquired off the auction site seller of the dies in the link I posted earlier. He says the three die set he is selling consists of a F/L Sizer, a Bullet Seater and a standard .458 expander/flaring die.
He knows that CH4D does offer some dies in A-Square chamberings however he says no dies in A-Square for the 450NE #2.
He doesn't own a rifle in the 450NE #2 chambering but imagines the set is for the original Eley chambering.

The dies did not sell at auction and he offered them to me for NZ$165. They are now back up on the site for sale again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for checking on the dies . I have decided to to use a chamber reamer to correct the ones I have. That way no errors,I know what I have. Thanks again

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for checking on the dies . I have decided to to use a chamber reamer to correct the ones I have. That way no errors,I know what I have. Thanks again

Very sensible, hope you get it all worked out and on to shooting your 450.