Find
Notify
Tools

7-08 and GMX Bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I have never loaded any bullet before that required significant intrusion into the powder space like these bullets.
My chamber will allow longer than book OAL, but the bullet still takes up a lot of case capacity extending below the neck.
Hornady lists same load and OAL for 139s and the GMX.
Just my lack of experience or am I looking at pressure issues (IMR 4350)?
Starting low in the listed data of course!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you hunt in a lead restricted area? If not, why are you messing with a monometal bullet?

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 is quite bulky for a small case like the 7mm-08. I would look at using W760 powder. Very close to the same burning speed but it takes up much less space being a ball powder

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Do you hunt in a lead restricted area? If not, why are you messing with a monometal bullet?

Ignore this guy because he's just an ole paper puncher. His next line is going to respond about using match lead bullets ... Roll Eyes

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
I have never loaded any bullet before that required significant intrusion into the powder space like these bullets.
My chamber will allow longer than book OAL, but the bullet still takes up a lot of case capacity extending below the neck.
Hornady lists same load and OAL for 139s and the GMX.
Just my lack of experience or am I looking at pressure issues (IMR 4350)?
Starting low in the listed data of course!

Just follow normal load work up procedures and you'll be fine. I load almost exclusively Barnes TTSX or LRX bullets and haven't had a problem finding an accurate load for monometals, including copper and brass bullets.

Good luck!

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Why am I loading monometal bullets . . .

Cause I have some and so they are there.
Just not used to bullets that project so far down in the case (may just pull them and forget that plan).

Graybird
Thanks for addressing my question.
I am not used to such long bullets and the manufacturer made no statement in their manual and I am able to load them longer than they state so so it should have some reduced pressure.

I have a box of 140 Noslers and may just load them and be don with it.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
TC,

I know you didn't ask, but I'll add a bit to my previous post. I have not shot the GMX bullet you are referencing.

I load a 120 gr TTSX in my 7-08. It is fairly well known that 44-45 gr of RL-15 with the 120 gr TTSX in the 7-08 should produce an accurate load. My particular rifle prefers 44.5 grains, and this load has accounted for two elk and numerous deer and antelope.

I agree with your concerns about overly long bullet length. Yet, with monometals, you can drop to a lower bullet weight and remain equivalent (possibly even better) regarding bullet weight retention and penetration with higher bullet weight lead bullets from years past. Keep in mind, many rifles prefer a jump to the barrel lands to gain better accuracy, which is another reason to drop in bullet weights.

Good luck!

Graybird

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Graybird

I bought these as a lark and may well just disassemble the rounds and put the bullets back for a really rainy day.

I'm guessing 120 monometals are about as long as 140 lead cores?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd forget what the manual says about COAL and seat those bullets out to max mag box length and go from there. I start every load workup like this no matter the bullet or powder. Find a powder charge that looks promising and then mess around with seating bullets deeper in .030 increments.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a box of 140 Noslers and may just load them and be don with it.

A wise course of action.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have loaded GMX bullets for my 7mm-08. My favorite load for 139-140 grain bullets is 40 grains of WW-748. There is no problem with case capacity using that powder. That is an accuracy load from Ken Waters' Pet Loads. I have been using it since 1991 in half a dozen 7mm-08s.

Posts: 10 | Location: New Jerey | Registered: 05 October 2019Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Made a mistake on that favorite load for the 7mm-08. It's 43.0 grains of WW-748.

Posts: 10 | Location: New Jerey | Registered: 05 October 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found CFE223 to be really good for the 7-08 and monometals.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote