THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I scored on reloading equipment yesterday!
 Login/Join

posted
I picked up a Lyman T-Mag press, an RCBS powder measure, a Belding and Mull powder measure and 100 cast 357 bullets for $40 yesterday. It didn't take me long to mount the new press and crank out some ammo. The RCBS powder measure has a cracked powder bin and is missing the top, but RCBS is sending them to me for free. I guess it was my lucky day.

Posts: 10 | Location: New Jerey | Registered: 05 October 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Overt Bragging about good deals is not allowed on AR.
Because it wasn't me who found the deal.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a bit off topic, but what do you do with a lifetime accumulation of reloading equipment as your demise approaches?
(no humor intended)

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1059 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Guys around here do one of two things with reloading, ammo, guns;
1: Leave it all to a friend who will sell it all off and give the proceeds to the widow/kid. I am doing some of that now.
2: Make one phone call to Rock Island Auctions and they will come and get it all.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
With regard to having too much "stuff" for the wife to unload after your demise, I'm 73 and a quadruple bypass survivor, and I have way too much "stuff". I just bought that new stuff anyway. My 84 year old fishing buddy says "It won't be my problem, I'll be dead". I have way too many rifles now, but I like the ones I have. I really should thin the herd.

Posts: 10 | Location: New Jerey | Registered: 05 October 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I try to find younger guys struggling to pay the bills that can and will use the stuff then gift them a setup.

none of the kids here care.
they know what it all does and how to use it and they know they are gonna get the rest.
probably more than they want or will need, but there it is use it up.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you like me to PM my address to you ? Big Grin

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it will ship to New York very cheaply.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Several years ago there was an elderly lady from the church whose husband had passed away + had been a reloader. She asked me if I was interested in all his stuff. I said I was + she just gave it all to me. There was the usual stuff, RCBS press, powder measure, scale, etc. Redundancy for me really but what really interested me was he had a case of OLD Hodgdon powder that he bought from Bruce Hodgdon. It was so old that when I tried to pick up a box out of the case it just crumbled into dust. I gave all the tools away. She was the same old lady that a few years later while I was going through my divorce + desperately needed the money gave me those 3 pistols of her late husbands that she found in an ice chest. A Ruger SP 101, a Beretta 92 SB, + a Walther PPK. That gave me the last of the money I needed for the payoff.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A shooting buddy died and his wife's family fed her full of bs:
"about all that powder going to blow the
house up". She called and asked if I wanted it all.
"son's here and will carry it upstairs for you now".
It filled a LWB p/up bed
one layer over the height of the bed
and the cab to the window sill til I
could barely see the mirror.

Turned out half dozen 15lb cardboard drums of
Red Dot were filled with empty 20ga hulls, not
powder. Two of my buddies shot and reloaded 20ga.
They split the hulls. Several other guys
shared the many thousands of 12ga hulls.

I kept most of the powder, not much, 20 lbs maybe and 30,000 or so primers.
Thousands of bullets.
Some I swapped or gave to others.

I didn't get any reloading equipment, couple sets'of dies is all.
He was a truck mechanic and had a full set of micrometers to 6" and other such tools.
I still have them.

It took a few months to pass it all around.
Sure made a big pile of boxes in the back room
til then. He wanted it to go to the gun club.
No one out there wanted any of it.

Several cans of powders I didn't use, gave them
to others that would.

Neighbor died and had reloaded and cast for years.
His dau and sil piled it all in the trash.
Sure was glad I went snooping in those boxes.
Over 300lbs of linotype, bullet molds,
dies, brass, 50-75lbs of bullets, couple jugs of powder.
A/h's knew I reloaded and would
rather trash $$$ than share it.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good friend and neighbor committed suicide years ago. He had tons of guns and reloading stuff. Widow asked me to help. I took a pickup load of reloading stuff to a local gun and reloading store. They paid her something, I don’t remember the amount.
She tried to give me his 257 STW, custom rifle. I paid her $700 for it and the scope on it. Rebarreled to 257 wby. It’s my go to rifle these days.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I am nearing my own sunset, I have been looking for young reloaders who have some time but not much money. I just gave away all my Dillon reloaders, powder measures, primer tubes, cartridge change kits, and small parts to a young couple.

Just gave away a Forster co-ax press and bench mounted priming tool to another younger man.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 25Cal:
I picked up a Lyman T-Mag press, an RCBS powder measure, a Belding and Mull powder measure and 100 cast 357 bullets for $40 yesterday. It didn't take me long to mount the new press and crank out some ammo. The RCBS powder measure has a cracked powder bin and is missing the top, but RCBS is sending them to me for free. I guess it was my lucky day.

I have the Lyman T-mag and love it. I do the majority of my loading with it. I keep a press mounted PM and a Lee prime 2 on it and it makes for a pretty slick procedure.

I also have a B@M Powder measure. The nice thing about them is they work well with any powder at all. But in my testing I didnt find their accuracy to exceed that of any other measures I have and I found their use to be rather tedious. YMMV.

When you get your RCBS PM parts I would suggest mounting it on your turret and looking for a Lee auto prime 2 for that Lyman press.

Congratulations on a nice find.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote