THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Using a Chronograph as a Pressure Guide...................
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a Chronograph as a Pressure Guide...................
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
After reading a lot of these posts as well as some other references I think that I probably should modify my original hypothesis. First of all as one of the top experts in the feild - Ken Oehler says, "I feel sorry for those who think ballistics is an exact science. They just don't understand the problems."
Ballistics is an inexact science and gives ballisticians grey hairs (Speer Manual). So trying to predict exact pressures by velocity is probably going too far, though I would still like to test some loads that track with published data in my rifles to see how close or far they are away from the same pressures. I still think that if all the components are the same and the velocities match the pressures should be close but I can't at the moment prove it.

I do still think that a chonograph is probably the most useful tool for telling an average reloader when pressures are too high. Case head expansion is another useful tool as is quickload but all too many loads developed using case head expansion when actually pressure tested have been found to be well over limits. I've seen some totally incongruous loads spit out by quick load.

The best safest thing would be to use all three. If your velocity is fine and quick load says your powder charge is below max and you have too much CHE, the load is probably too hot. If your CHE is OK and your velocity is too high the load is probably too warm. If all your velocities as you are working up a load match quick load data and it says one load is over pressure it's probably too warm.

Call them weasel words or whatever but when it comes to ballistics none of the other experts give absolutes so probably, maybe, might etc. are required terms when describing ballistics.

This has been a good thread for the most part without too much trolling. I appreciate your comments, even the ones where we disagree. Thanks for chiming in.............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To indicate pressure/temperature when firing a load, I always use a technique similar to when you are aligning gear wheels to make sure they are having correct contact patern, for that you use a marking ink
But for pressure/temperature indicator I use a ink pen to mark the brass on it’s base like shown on the picture. The base may never make contact to the chamber (with the stem from your slide gauge you can measure where the base is in your brass)

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you please expand on this.

Are you saying that the further down towards the head of the case that the base contacts the chamber, the higher the pressure load?

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic post! dancing clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best safest thing would be to use all three. If your velocity is fine and quick load says your powder charge is below max and you have too much CHE, the load is probably too hot. If your CHE is OK and your velocity is too high the load is probably too warm. If all your velocities as you are working up a load match quick load data and it says one load is over pressure it's probably too warm.

There's a man of my own heart!

KenO

As it was explained to me many years ago, "I feel sorry for those who think ballistics is an exact science. They just don't understand the problems."

Posts: 55 | Location: Near Luckenbach, Texas | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
So yes gentlemen the chronograph is not a pressure gauge, never was never will be, but to infer that velocity tells us nothing of pressure is flat wrong, it has everything to do with pressure ! What is wrong is the continued insistance that velocity is not related to pressure, it is related but the relationship is quite complicated, sometimes more so than some here wish to explore.

To infer that velocity tells you everything is just as inaccurate. All of those scientists knew that the area under the curve produces velocity not just peak pressure.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken,

Just read your contribution to the Lyman 47th edition reloading manual on chronographs. A lot of the article focused on accuracy of the device and the sun screens but you did touch on this subject briefly, I believe.

Have you any more published information relating to this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Now who would have thought one could use a chronograph to measure pressure, stupid fools all ! for anyone with a smidgen of an IQ knows the chronograph measures velocity.

I mean Alfred Nobel who gave us the Nobel prize and Frederick Abel who invented a way of manufacturing guncotton were obviously quite stupid when they came up with the idea that when you burn a charge of powder changing it chemically from a solid to a gas, that gas mass would exert pressure on it's surroundings creating the necessary work that acellerates the bullet down the bore and imparting kinetic energy to that bullet......

Good grief ! what were they thinking when someone actually figured out that Kinetic energy of the bullet was in fact a product of the bullet's velocity (squared) and 1/2 its mass.

I mean to think that somehow one could accurately calculate by virtue of knowledge of gas laws, thermochemistry and thermodynamic principle that a grain of propellant could produce a value of pressure or work that has the ability to move a bullet down the bore of a gun?

So when next your beloved military establishment deploys a gun on land or sea please ignore the fact that they, before ever firing that gun calculated to the minutest detail exactly what formulation of propellant would give the needed chemical reaction and gas mass that would exert a pressure value at any point of reference in the tube or chamber; and that the velocimeters ( usually doppler radar) used in modern artillary pieces are there for show only.

This all thanks to fools like Legrange who gave us the Legrange time pressure curve and Legrange formulations used to calculate pressures at various points in the combustion process.

Geez what was Homer Powley thinking when he devised his dummied down version of what was used at Aberdeen to design guns ????

Perhaps too the great French artillerist Emile Serrau who 150 years ago thought more of a "chronograph" as just a figmentation of fancy.

So yes gentlemen the chronograph is not a pressure gauge, never was never will be, but to infer that velocity tells us nothing of pressure is flat wrong, it has everything to do with pressure ! What is wrong is the continued insistance that velocity is not related to pressure, it is related but the relationship is quite complicated, sometimes more so than some here wish to explore.

Generalisations Alf ...?? Roll Eyes

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:

Are you saying that the further down towards the head of the case that the base contacts the chamber, the higher the pressure load?

You will clearly notice that the brass will contact the chamber closer to it’s base as you raise the pressure

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BlaserGun, Very interesting post, I've not seen this idea before and will probably have to experiment with it. Thanks for contributing...........................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought so, but since you posted pics of two different caliber cases, I wanted to ask. Also there is now way to tell, unless you already know at what pressure each caliber operates, which one has the higher pressure

Thank you for the clarification

After thinking of it, wouldn't this be like measuring case head expansion? I would think that you wouldn't want that to happen down near the web.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What BlaserGun has shown a picture of is measurable and is called - Ta Daa - good old never fail PRE.

quote:
Posted by DJ:
This has been a good thread for the most part without too much trolling. I appreciate your comments, even the ones where we disagree.
Totally agree.

Nice to be able to discuss things, disagree if need be, and get along. thumb

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The case walls are tapered.
If you are using a consistent lot of brass the case wall thickness will be uniform from case to case. But the case wall is tapered and is thicker toward the base. The thicker brass is harder to expand. The higher the pressure goes the further toward the base the expansion ring goes.
I have to qualify this a little.
If you are shooting a benchrest rifle or something similar where you may shoot a case 15 or 20 times without sizing the body, the repetitive shooting even at the same pressure may also cause the pressure ring to move down toward the head.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Great info. I'm absorbing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought so, but since you posted pics of two different caliber cases, I wanted to ask. Also there is now way to tell, unless you already know at what pressure each caliber operates, which one has the higher pressure

Thank you for the clarification

After thinking of it, wouldn't this be like measuring case head expansion? I would think that you wouldn't want that to happen down near the web.

The 30-06 is with the highest pressure both according to the primer and case expansion to the base, the base is thicker on the 30-06 compared to the 6,5 which is the reason why they differ that much on case expansion.
Yes it’s like measuring case expansion at the base, but with this method you will see when the pressure grow, which you only will in the dangerous end of the scale when measuring mechanically, but you can use the same method at the same time and as well chrono your loads.
I use this chamber touch method and hold it together with primer expansion and the speed from chrono and the one calculated in Qload
To make it clear where you want the expansion to stop you can cut one of your brass in cross section to show where the case starts to get thicker, and I would say it’s somewhere between where it starts to get thicker and the inside bottom of the case that I want the expansion to stop, the closer you get to the base the shorter your case will live beer

Thanks Bjarne

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlaserGun:
...Yes it’s like measuring case expansion at the base, ... which you only will in the dangerous end of the scale when measuring mechanically,
Gotta disagree with that simply because it is not true.

quote:
... the closer you get to the base(with the Expansion) the shorter your case will live beer
And completely agree with that simply because it is true.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Gotta disagree with that simply because it is not true.

Yes maybe that’s too roughly speaking about the difference in these two methods, but what I mean is that you don’t have any expansion on the base of the case in the lower end of the pressure scale, but with this ink method you will see how the contact point move down the case as you raise the pressure from the lower end, with the mechanical you will only be able to measure differences in the upper end of the pressure scale.
Only thing I can say about it is, try them both at the same time when building up a load beer

Thanks Bjarne

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey BlaserGun,We are back in complete, 100%, agreement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using the inked-case method is interesting and I understand how the chamber contact point will move down the case with increasing PSI, but it still doesn't tell me what is excessive PSI .

For me, a practical PSI measuring tool is "measuring" the rapidity of primer pocket loosening. To reload, a case must hold a primer, and I don't want hot gases escaping into my face from a blown primer. Moreover, I don't want to get a stuck case from excessive PSI when I need to get a rapid second shot at my trophy of a lifetime – heaven forbid should that happen.

In my experience, rapidly expanding primer pockets occur just before a blown primer; and, blown primers are a prelude to a stuck case.

The cost of a case is miniscule compared to the overall cost of a trophy hunt, thus I'm not partial to getting 10-20 reloads from a hunting load. I figure, if I can get 3-5 reloadings per case before the primer pockets get noticeably loose while hand priming, then I'm working within acceptable PSI limits. I only shoot the HOT loads a few times a year - 3 to 6 shots to sight-in and hopefully only 1 to get my game. That is less than 10 shots per year. I’ve never had a problem in field and I’ve been big-hunting for 40 years.

For target practice, I load way down into the 40,000 PSI or lower range - targets don't need much killing.

Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think now that velocity is of overblown importance, even in a hunting situation. I think you would find that hunting bullets will perform well at "not so hot" velocities.

Realize that you are slowly damaging your rifle and creating a headspace problem by shooting a hot load. It could end in an accident with no warning signs, as I've read and other posters here have stated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
I figure, if I can get 3-5 reloadings per case before the primer pockets get noticeably loose while hand priming, then I'm working within acceptable PSI limits. AIU

All due respect but I think that this method is a pretty sure way to have some of your loads a good bit over normal pressures.

I'd really rather have a load that's safe to shoot as much as I want without any Angst about it being too hot and having to limit the # of rounds of it I shoot. If I really need that much more velocity I'll use a bigger caliber. No Animal on earth is going to be able to tell the difference between a bullet shot with 62K psi vs 80K psi but your rifle sure might! .............................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've thought of something that may throw a wrench into the cogs

When working up loads with my chronograph, I've frequently hit a point where the incremental additions of powder do not result in a incremental increase in velocity. I have noticed increased pressure signs at this point sometimes as well.

I don't think that increasing pressure (with powder additions) always results in an increase in velocity ie. they are not linearly tied together in a smooth curve.

Can someone chime in on this?

This is very true, and what I have come across often.
The theory that every increase in powder increases pressure, and therefore velocity, is a misnomer.
As maximum pressure, or in other words the peak pressure time curve, is surpassed, the max/peak pressure will happen at a significantly different point in the pressure curve, which can stop velocity increasing, and even make it go backwards.
I have tested thousands of rounds with pressure equipment in numerous rifles, and pressure does have a relative relationship to velocity, but not as precisely as what is mentioned here.
I have had a 300WinMag achieve 3200fps with Nosler 180gr AB's with pressures that were less than 60,000psi in a 26" barrel. The same rifle achieved just under 3100fps with Nosler 200gr AB's, and a pressure of 61,000psi.
Does this mean that this barrel is a 'FAST' barrel?, I don't think so, it just shows that it's 4 groove design allowed faster velocities with less pressure, also, the particular bullet used might be 'FAST' for it's weight and amount of bearing surface.
The idea that listed velocities at 'X' pressure is going to be the same in every barrel is somewhat correct, but it cannot be said that it's absolute, just the same that 'X' amount of powder with 'Y' bullet will give the same amount of pressure in a hunting rifle as it does in a test barrel.

Just my experience.
416RigbyHunter.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for some clarification!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This system can indicate the pressure from load to load http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm but I’m not sure how accurate it will be as a pressure scale it self without comparing to other loads in the same rifle.
I’ve been thinking about this system to develop shotgun loads.
I’ve never really got started because most of my hunting is stalking with the rifle.

Thanks Bjarne