New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading the 45 acp
 Login/Join

<garylmccullough>
posted
i am beginning to reload 45 acp's and i would like to know what works best for some of you out there, ie., powders,bullets and primers.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I only load one .45 ACP load anymore since it works for both bullseye and IPSC equally well.

200 gr H&G 68 lead SWC
5.6 gr of WW231
Win Large Pistol or CCI primer
1.25" OAL
whatever brass is in a nearby coffee can

You could load the bullseye round lighter but this way, I can be sure that whatever ammo I bring is what I think it is ...

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by garylmccullough:
i am beginning to reload 45 acp's and i would like to know what works best for some of you out there, ie., powders,bullets and primers.

The 45acp likes a lot of loads and use a good taper crimp die and keep the cases trimmed close to each other and they work well....I use either Winchester or CCI primers and they work well in several guns....the 185 lead work well in most guns I like the 225 Semi wadcutters as they print closer to the point of aim in many of my fixed sight guns.....Winchester Action Pistol ...WAP works well as does Unique or replacement.......the Serria 225 match flat point FMJ shoots cleaner and well in several guns also........the bullseye load is inexpensive since it uses little powder....just check/watch for "double charges" check a few of the first loads in the chamber to make sure the crimp is correct and the loaded round drops in aganist the chamber throat cut....good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Depends a bit on what sort of .45 load you are trying to achieve. For strong defense loads, I like the 230gr round nose loaded over Unique powder. Start with 6 grains and carefully work up. 6.5 is probably a good place to quit. Just whatever you feel comfortable with and what shoots good in your gun...but don't push it. Anyway, Unique is best powder for top .45 loads. IMHO

Any good Large Pistol primer should work but wouldn't pay an extra rupee for mag primers. They are mostly hype.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

[This message has been edited by Pecos45 (edited 05-17-2002).]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
My two favorite powders for the .45acp are Bullseye and Winchester Action Pistol(WAP).

------------------
Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
The only 45s that I load are for IDPA and plinking.

200 gr cast bullet. I use what ever is the least expensive at the gunshow.

5.0 gr of Winchester 231.

Remington 2 1/2 primer.

Mixed brass.

This is a good general purpose load and functions well in my Sig 220. If you are going to use reloads in a match situation it's a good idea to take the barrel out of your gun and test each round for a 'drop in fit'. Or get a case checker from Dillon. Checking each round will eliminate most if not all of your jams relating to the ammo.

For carry I use only factory 230 grain loads.

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
8.0grs. of AA#5 and a 200gr. cast swc, 5.0grs. of Bullseye with a 230 cast bullet work for me. Both using a fed #150 primer. Both shoot point of aim in my SA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You didn't mention what kind of pistol you are shooting out of.

For my Glock (no cast bullets!!!) I use 6.0g of Unique with a 230g FMJ bullet. This clocks about 770 fps in the Glock 30 and about 815 fps in the 1911.

For my 1911 I use a 185g cast bullet with 5.1g of Unique. This is very mild and nice to shoot. It may or may not cycle in some guns.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
GARY,
I've tested quite a few powders in several different .45ACP and settled on Winchester 231. My work load is 6.0 grains W-231, 200 grain Hornady XTP/HP ans CCI primers. My play load is 5.6 grains of W-231, 185 grain H&G cast, CCI primers. Both loads are in Remington cases. I like 'em. Good luck.

------------------
BigBob

<.>
posted
It's NOT the "cast bullets" that make Glocks blow up. It's the fact that the chamber is unsupported and the brass fails. But this warning goes unheeded.

I like 230 gr. LazerCast LRN (round nose) and Hodgdon HS-6 powder. HS-6 is an excellent pistol powder for 38, 357, 9mm, 45 ACP, even 44 magnum although there are better choices for that caliber.

45 ACP headspaces on the mouth of the case. It's important that the mouth be taper crimped to spec and that there are no "rings" of lead on the mouth from seating the bullet.

I seat the LRN bullets so that the cannalure is flush with the case mouth. OAL is important in feeding. I use a factory loaded 230 gr. FMJ to provide OAL.

Lots of data available online for 45 ACP loads.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved