New
Find
Notify
Tools

compressed air source for reloading bench
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I primarily reload shotgun shells (28 & 410) but also load/reload rifle cartridges. My reloading room is basically a spare bedroom in my house that my wife allowed me to modify in to my "man cave". More and more I need a compressed air source to "blow out" things. The canned air just doesn't cut it. Any ideas on the smallest, least noisy compressed air source I could use indoors?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I use a small Coleman. However quite it isn't

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I use this one for running small finish nailers. Not sure how much volume you need but if its just a blast of air here and there you would be fine. It is quiet. Worse case scenario if you need more volume you could hook up a cheap $20 5 gallon tank to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rolair-...ration/dp/B0058NRVMO

Mac

Posts: 1724 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
A Airbrush compressor would work well. I use a small 20 pound twin cylinder version. You can talk over it with no problem. No compressor is really quite.An "on demand" switch would be the way to go.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 444 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rook49
posted Hide Post
My air compressor sits in the garage. I ran a hose from the compressor to a hose reel in my workshop and I keep the air-hose from the reel with a nozzle hanging on my workbench when I'm reloading.

Posts: 32 | Location: Hampton, GA | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I don't know just how much compressed air you would need in a reloading man cave but how about a scuba dive bottle. One of those will supply a lot of high pressure air and cheap enough to fill, far better than canned air.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blowing stuff around the shop just moves it to someplace else, where it will be a problem later. I found a cheapie little hand held vac. that has a beater bar that can be turned on/off as well as a short hose that can be unplugged and used for suction. It is pretty noisy but it is great on the shot shell loading bench. It will pick up loose shot etc. and it is easily emptied, no disposable filter bag to fool with. I think it cost 25-30$?
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Rook49
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Blowing stuff around the shop just moves it to someplace else, where it will be a problem later. I found a cheapie little hand held vac. that has a beater bar that can be turned on/off as well as a short hose that can be unplugged and used for suction. It is pretty noisy but it is great on the shot shell loading bench. It will pick up loose shot etc. and it is easily emptied, no disposable filter bag to fool with. I think it cost 25-30$?
C.G.B.

There's some places that a vac can't reach like powder that's between your dies or in your press ram or primer seater that needs to be blown out. Then I take a leaf blower and open the door in my workshop and blow everything that's on the floor outside.

Posts: 32 | Location: Hampton, GA | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you don't need a large volume of air at high pressure, just get an air tank and charge it up occasionally.

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...ch/result?q=air+tank

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a large compressor in my shop and also my handloading room. I never use compressed air while handloading, feel its not needed, a paintbrush and shop brush with a pan works fine for me..

Compressed air is full of moisture..moisture is rust, and blown air is static, that can be problematic around black powder for instance..Not to mention loosing small parts as they fly across the room..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you want a quite air compressor, take a look at airbrush compressors. I have a similar model to this Compressor and it works well.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This works for me.

Posts: 10 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 01 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daboone:
This works for me.

I actually use one at my place of employment and it works surprisingly well.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never use compressed air on my loading bench. A shop vac and brushes work for me. Get some exhaust tubing that fits the hose and make nozzles to fit tight places.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A/C guy:
Since you don't need a large volume of air at high pressure, just get an air tank and charge it up occasionally.

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...ch/result?q=air+tank

tu2

Posts: 10135 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote